Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1431087)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Reynolds to retire

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...=18&nid=120533

After his big spill at Brands at the weekend JR has decided to hang up his helmet. A sensible decision in many respects, it robs of us of one of the most determined British riders the championship has ever seen, alongside the late lamented Hizzy. I for one would like to say thanks to JR for all the viewing pleasure he has given me over the years and trust he will enjoy his retirement to the full.

Sayonara John and thanks for the truly great rides
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1431127)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's made the right decision to go out now, he's had a lot of injuries in recent years and his body has surely taken all the punishment it can withstand. John has been fabulous in the championship for the last 9 years, giving so many thrilling and intense moments, and just generally being a role model and inspiring chap. Hopefully he will remain involved in the sport in the future.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1431131)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed. I'm very much a part time Superbike fan but always admired John Reynolds.

Looks like he's thinking he better not push his luck too far. As you said a very sensible decision.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1431136)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed a very sensible decision. A shame to loose JR though, still better to retire when your at/near your best than to stay in racing too long and to end up riding around the mid field just for points. IMO.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1431276)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We'll miss you John.

Old 12 Oct 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1432014)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think for me JR summed up the spirit of someone who didnt necessarily have the talent of a Hislop or an Emmett or Haydon but had exactly the right mental attitude to overcome all that.
His sheer determination last year when faced with the broken collarbone, to go out and win the next round at Brands was just on the most awe inspiring things I have ever seen.
Must admit to not being a huge JR fan during the Reve/Ben Atkins days, always thought he got all the favours in the team. But his decision very late in his career to ride a totally different kind of bike and develop it to win a championship was again very determined.
He will be very sadly missed as a true champion and an example to every single rider out there that thinks they can do it. John has shown us all that you can!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1432147)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice words Chunder. I'l be pleased if there a JR DVD released, I have to admit I dont know a great deal about his early career but I gather he made it to GP level.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1432204)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely right, he had 2 seasons in 500ccs and 2 in World Superbikes, but was never more than upper-midfield. By 1997 there was a top-level British series again, he went to that, and the rest is history, as they say.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1432615)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He won the British Superbike series with utter domination for kawasaki in 92 and I think maybe the year before that won the supersport series on an old GPX600 maybe!
Then rode for Padgetts in 500 racing where he was a regular points scorer, especially when the team realised that Joh needed the footpegs in a completely different position to most riders!
Think then he rode foe Reve Kawasaki in WSB for a year before taking on the Suzuki WSB effort for Harris.
He was very close to Atkins aswell and ri=ode for Ben for a number of years on Ducatis and Kawasaki before ending up at Crescent.
Top bloke, his columns and advice in Racer magazine was a must read for any aspiring racer.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1433853)   #10
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers JR
I have been a supporter ever since I started going to BSB in 1991 when he was with Team Green Kawasaki.
I hope he dosen't cut all ties with BSB and that we see him in and around the paddock.
I agree with that maybe it is time for him to hang up the boots while he's in good form, he's had many years of great racing, not always on the best machinery, but he's always been prepered to get on and ring it's neck and get the best out of what he has to work with.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1440403)   #11
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Maybe he could fill in Pau Dennings role at Suzuki?? He knows first hand whats needs to be done to make the K5 competitive. Not the way anyone wanted him to go. Peoples champion...altho he did nearly mow me down on his scooter in the paddock at Cadwell this year! Grr. Moves James Buckingham into a prime place to take his seat now. Cresent were looking at him for 2006 anyway.