Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 Oct 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3320778)   #1551
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
My question is, where will everybody go if Indycar tanks? And what will happen to the Indy 500? Some of the big teams like Ganassi and Penske already have NASCAR programs, but the smaller programs would suddenly have an empty year.

Surely the Indy 500 would survive in some shape or form. Would USCC have anything to gain?
Obviously regarding NASCAR, Andretti is the exception but if next season does tank, a lot will depend on how much the big teams like Andretti, Ganassi and Penske wish to carry on in IndyCar. Next year, they are each going to field 4 car teams. If they were to leave, it would severely diminish the status of the 500.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 04:31 (Ref:3320809)   #1552
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
Is Indycar in such a bad shape as Champ Car was in 2007-2008?
I wouldnt suggest so.

People spinning that it will be a miracle to see the 2015 season I think are more hoping rather than being realistic.

I think the AR1 article suggested the problems were linked to ride buyers - would be interested to look closer at stats but the current driver line up must be one of the strongest since the early 00's.

We have some new sponsors for 2014 and the return of JPM so plenty to look forward to whilst hopefully stabilising tv viewership.

The AR1 reporting I wouldnt suggest is the most objective reports - seems highly driven on emotion & bias. By no means and I suggesting it should be positive news but by no means is it addressing the new sponsors, drivers or cars in the works say like a Racer does.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3320908)   #1553
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On time, again, complaints and criticism...always pessimism...I think this is one of the major problems in IndyCar...we saw the open wheel largest grid (Formula 1 has 22 cars, 4 of them "fake"), we saw battles, side by side, races uncertain, so many different winners, small teams able to oppose and some times defeat the biggest teams, championship uncertain until almost last lap (if not until really last lap)...but some "fans" continue to talk bad...I think it would be useful to occasionally talk about the positive things instead of always complaining...

Last edited by marcostraz; 21 Oct 2013 at 09:37.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3320964)   #1554
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
And what will happen to the Indy 500?
Maybe they should just invite the Whelen Modified Series to the 500. Most of the people who watch or attend the Indy 500 just do so, because it's Indy. Not because of IndyCar.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3320996)   #1555
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem isn't that the racing lacks excitement.
The problem isn't that drivers are uninteresting and/or without captivating stories.
The problem isn't a lack of rivalries, both old and new.
The problem isn't an uninspired and lackluster (or worse - nonexistent) history.

The problem is that the only people who pay attention are race fans. Furthermore, we as race fans have been paying attention all along. We aren't the ones that IndyCar needs to convince, because we're already here.

There are three groups that IndyCar (or any other race series that wants viewers and/or fans), and all three have to be targeted differently.
In my mind, anyway.

Casual race fan
The casual race fan already likes motorsport. In the US, it probably means they are a NASCAR fan, since NASCAR is the 800lb gorilla. These are the fans that need to go to a race live. They need to sit in the stands, hear the revs & turbo whine, smell the race fuel, etc.
They are are either going to like IndyCar or they aren't. I have some friends who are NASCAR only, and refuse to watch anything else. One uses the phrase "I don't like them go karts," so you can understand the mentality. It's this group that we, as fellow race fans (and, specifically IndyCar fans) can help grow the sport by exposing casual fans to IndyCar.

My personal PSA: Take a friend to an IndyCar race, if you can. You'll help IndyCar grow.

Accidental Viewer
These are those who happen upon a race on TV or attend a race after winning tickets or through a sponsor affiliation. They are completely green and know nothing about racing or IndyCar. Since they don't know about racing or IndyCar at all, so they should be educated. If they learn some of the history, the technology and are able to understand enough to enjoy the exciting racing on-track, they may want to come back.
Unfortunately, this group is the reason that the on-air crew has to do all the "dumbed-down" segments, so they can introduce the greenhorns to what the rest of us already know.

Non Race Fan
The name says it all. They aren't race fans for whatever reason. So to convert them to a race fan is difficult. Perhaps they have alleigance to some other sport (football, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc.) or they aren't into sports overall.
This is the group I'm clueless about. I have no clue how to expose a non race fan in such a way that it will be appealing to them and they would show interest.

Note: The opinions expressed above are mine and mine alone.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3321060)   #1556
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
Non Race Fan
The name says it all. They aren't race fans for whatever reason. So to convert them to a race fan is difficult. Perhaps they have alleigance to some other sport (football, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc.) or they aren't into sports overall.
This is the group I'm clueless about. I have no clue how to expose a non race fan in such a way that it will be appealing to them and they would show interest.
I really like your post. I'll expand on this section if you don't mind.

There are two types of non-race fans, 1) car people and 2) the others.
1) I have a bunch of friends who watch shows like Top Gear and know a reasonable amount about cars but don't watch motorsport. I introduced one of my friends to the ALMS and now he watches almost every race because he likes the GT classes. Another one of my friends began to like IndyCars because of the speed. These kinds of people are the easiest to expose to motorsport because they already like cars in general.

2) The others are people who show no interest in cars and sports, or show interest in other sports. Sadly, it's really hard to convince these people to watch motorsport (I've tried). They commonly reply with "the races are too long", "nothing is happening", "they are just cars going around in circles". These people are definitely a lost cause. On the other hand, celebrities like Patrick Dempsey, may bring in some new faces, but I doubt a celebrity would enter IndyCar. Oh well, you can't please everyone.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3321077)   #1557
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting posts and a good discussion going on here but in order to keep the various threads relevant, I've copied posts #1545 through to #1556 from the Indycar News & Rumors thread to The Current State of IndyCar thread, where you can all carry on the discussion.

Cheers

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 21 Oct 2013 at 15:21.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3322212)   #1558
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Viso in trouble? Could explain the sudden mystery illness at Fontana.
http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2013...enezuelan.html
Old 23 Oct 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3322328)   #1559
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Justin Wilson leaves hospital, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110806
Old 24 Oct 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3322378)   #1560
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
10/23/13 Hand-tied by low TV ratings, yet another Indy exec jumps ship [Editor's Note: You cannot expect anyone to be successful on the commercial side of the business when you hand tie them with 0.15 TV ratings just so you can pocket the big NBC Sports Network check.]

Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles is still looking for a chief executive to oversee the commercial side of the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The resignation this month of Mike Redlick, IMS’ chief sales and marketing officer, likely adds a little urgency to Miles’ methodical search. Redlick, who has nearly 15 years of experience working for NFL and NBA franchises, joined the Speedway in March 2011. No indication has been given as to why Redlick resigned.

Redlick's resignation is the second big blow to Miles' sales staff in recent months. Greg Gruning, IndyCar’s executive vice president of corporate sales and the series’ point man in brokering big sponsorship deals, resigned in late June.

It’s difficult to say whether Miles is being extra finicky so he can find just the right fit for the commercial CEO job or if nobody wants the position. Several candidates have surfaced and then—for various reasons—faded away.

Now, Miles, who admits the hire is taking longer than expected, says he may have to split the position into senior vice president of sales and senior vice president of marketing. Both would report to Miles.

While Miles considers dividing that key job, he continues to bring together sales efforts of the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway in an unprecedented way.

He’s shopping combined sponsorships deals that include elements of the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway. For instance, opportunities to be a major sponsor (perhaps even a presenting sponsor) of the Indianapolis 500 could be combined with title sponsorship of the series. Miles remains hesitant to sell a title sponsorship to the Speedway itself or the Indianapolis 500, though presenting sponsors are not off the table.

The new combined sales offerings give series sponsors opportunity for high-exposure events at the Speedway, and IMS sponsors opportunity to earn exposure at numerous markets nationwide where the series races. Sports marketers say it’s difficult to predict demand for the combined opportunities.

Previously, the IndyCar Series and IMS sales staffs worked mostly separately. Miles earlier this year began melding the staffs in the hope of driving efficiencies and increase revenue for the track and open-wheel series.

Selling a series title sponsor is a top priority that Miles is leading personally. Izod bolted as title sponsor following the conclusion of the 2013 season.

In addition to the series title and presenting sponsorship deals, Miles is also looking for a sponsor for the entire month of May at IMS. But he’ll also consider selling separate presenting sponsors for the new IndyCar road race at IMS, Indianapolis 500 qualifications weekend and the Indianapolis 500 itself. Miles said he’s willing to customize a package to fit sponsors.

Miles is not only looking for sponsors that will pay hefty six- and seven-figure sums for the sponsorships, but also a six- or seven-figure sum to promote the series to expanded markets.

The push for sponsors comes as Miles makes other significant changes to the series. In addition to launching the inaugural IndyCar road race at Indianapolis on May 10, Miles has compressed the season to five months, from March 30 to Aug. 30, in part to avoid conflicts with the NFL.

Miles added: “We wanted to have more consistency so that fans can know once our season starts we’re going to be out in front of them throughout and until the end.”

The series in 2014 is losing key races including in Baltimore and Sao Paulo, Brazil.

At the same time, Miles has floated the idea of having a non-points winter series of races overseas. It’s not clear how his sales staffers will pitch sponsors for the winter series and if they’ll bundle sponsors for that winter series with the regular spring/summer series. IBJ.com
Old 28 Oct 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3323969)   #1561
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone seen EJ Viso yet? Munoz must be looking good for that seat at Andretti.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3324969)   #1562
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Buh-bye.

Quote:
10/29/13 Dragon Racing to shutter IndyCar team According to AR1.com sources, Jay Penske has decided to shutdown the Dragon Racing IndyCar team and do Formula E only. If true (still unconfirmed) it was probably due to the team’s inability to land sponsors (Dragon had McAfee and TrueCar - are both leaving IndyCar too). Why? Because TV ratings are so low. Why are they so low? Because the owners of IndyCar prefer to pocket the NBC Sports Network check instead of putting all the races on ABC so teams can land sponsorship and not have to rely on ride-buyers and free handouts (Leader Circle).
Old 30 Oct 2013, 02:30 (Ref:3324973)   #1563
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IndyCar will end in 2018. Anyone want to bet the over-under?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3325021)   #1564
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
IndyCar will end in 2018. Anyone want to bet the over-under?
I wont bet on a losing, but your are heading in the right direction. Even if they decided to came back to the Gold Coast , I would love for them to come back and I know the teams etc loved it out here , I think the reunification of Champ Car/Irl didnt capture the hearts and soul of Americans over the past few years and the series is lacking.

Ryan Briscoe who was out here for the GC600 , said the Americans and others want to come back, but does IRL, thats the question.

CART , Champ , Irl where once an alternative to Bernies circus, but as much as I liked it, and couldnt wait for the trip to Aust, I feel it has lost is mojo, and will die a slow death.

thats just my thoughts
Old 30 Oct 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3325086)   #1565
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Buh-bye.

Quote:
10/29/13 Dragon Racing to shutter IndyCar team According to AR1.com sources, Jay Penske has decided to shutdown the Dragon Racing IndyCar team and do Formula E only. If true (still unconfirmed) it was probably due to the team’s inability to land sponsors (Dragon had McAfee and TrueCar - are both leaving IndyCar too). Why? Because TV ratings are so low. Why are they so low? Because the owners of IndyCar prefer to pocket the NBC Sports Network check instead of putting all the races on ABC so teams can land sponsorship and not have to rely on ride-buyers and free handouts (Leader Circle).
That is bad news. Unfortunately I don't think Dragon Racing will be the only team to fold before the green flag falls at St.Pete's next year.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3325153)   #1566
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That is bad news. Unfortunately I don't think Dragon Racing will be the only team to fold before the green flag falls at St.Pete's next year.
Yep, there could be some more dominos falling out over the winter.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3325542)   #1567
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GET THE SHOW BACK ON ABC!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3325619)   #1568
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I see them waiting it out for 2015 and trying to ride the coattails of the NBC NASCAR deal.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3325966)   #1569
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I see them waiting it out for 2015 and trying to ride the coattails of the NBC NASCAR deal.
2015's when IndyCar is supposed to change, with the introduction of aero-kits.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3326859)   #1570
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
and not have to rely on ride-buyers and free handouts (Leader Circle).
How many teams in 2013 relied on ride buyers?
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3326915)   #1571
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
You've misquoted me, the above was originally posted by HJJ, #1562. Please try and make an effort to get it right in future.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3327057)   #1572
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Most of them either had part or whole funding sourced or linked to drivers.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3327239)   #1573
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IRS Chases JPM

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Nov 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3327336)   #1574
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Oh yes, the IRS.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3327343)   #1575
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oh yes, the IRS.
Mr Penske must have tax lawyers on staff just to deal with the problems of his racing drivers
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods