Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Aug 2002, 07:02 (Ref:351024)   #51
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It was something that happened which has since been resolved (of sorts) and talking about it publicly will only serve to inflame the situation, hence my decision not to say anything more. If other members of the forum who were involved wish to say more on the matter, that has to be their decision.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:12 (Ref:351631)   #52
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those that know me also know that I've never been backwards in coming forwards, so I'll mention the subject I think Stephen is talking about. (Correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree though).

I think he is referring to the way the marshals and even club chiefs were treated by the 'jobsworths' both on the front and back gates.

Before I go on I would like to point out that I'm not referring to our usual grey curly haired friend and his taller colleague that usually man the back gate.

It seems that a few people were fortunate enough to get their cars in over the weekend and others were not. I actually have an Octagon Support Staff Pass and even I was unable to get my car in on the Saturday or Sunday. To be honest I didn't even try to get it in on Sunday as I made my feelings quite clear to the prat on Saturday what I thought of him so I knew I would have no chance

So why the annoyance you ask. Well there just happened to be an acre of space at the top of the paddock that wasn't being used at all. I also think I am correct in saying that there was no security on the marshals car park.

Once again we have been shown that Octagon doesn't a 5h1t about marshals and the clubs that organise the race meetings and has every intention of making life as difficult as possible for anyone that doesn't pay them an entrance fee.

I will now sit here and wait for Stephen to reply and say that I'm completley wrong and it was the Brands Hatch breakfast that left a bad taste in his mouth
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:24 (Ref:351647)   #53
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I think Mr Green is talking about something else (but your point is well made Mr. Pinki Sir!) and I was actually thinking of something different from Stephen (I think).

Confused? hehe

Last edited by wiggles; 6 Aug 2002 at 20:29.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:02 (Ref:351678)   #54
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
Yes, very confused now :confused:

Come on, spill the beans, you know we all love a good rant
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:05 (Ref:351755)   #55
wiggles
Rookie

Hmm... Sod, ok.

Well, it might sound like nothing, but at the time it was a bloody annoying situation. Pinki and other marshals who were there may already know the story but I'll give it in full for others.

Shortly after the rain stopped on Sunday afternoon we had the Ferrari 360 Challenge (Class B) on track for their second race of the weekend. The conditions were nasty on track with poor visibility once the cars started to throw some spray up.

Second or third lap in there was a bit of a smash at the top of Paddock Hill, right in front of my post (post 3, consisting of an Obbo, I/O, a flagger and 3 course marshals). Several large chunks of body work and some nasty bits of metal (including what looked like part of a brake) littered the track.

It doesn't take a brain scientist to work out what would happen if the pack repeatedly ran over the debris, and the obvious thing would be to get the worst of it off the track.

Because the pack was already quite spread out and conditions were poor it was decided that a safety car was needed for several reasons:

1) Marshals on the track under the afore-mentioned conditions would be an unnecessary risk.
2) Racing speed cars running over the debris would break it up, possibly damage the cars, or worse, send some of it up in the air and towards someone.
3) The GP circuit was in use. A 1 lap window would be more than enough to safely clear the track under the safety car.

The calls for the safety car were refused on at least two occasions over the course of two racing laps (I don't know why exactly). In this time the debris was broken up further and at least two cars were damaged, one I believe terminally (parking up on Graham Hill Bend).

In the end we decided that the most dangerous bits (mainly the lumps of metal) *had* to be cleared and under instruction from the I/O, who I have been on post with on more than one occasion and have a lot of respect for, we picked the biggest gap in the traffic and scrambled to clear what we could before dashing to safety over the Armco on the inside of PH bend. This did of course put us out of position for the rest of the race (a further 15 laps).

I know we have no direct control over the decisions that race control makes, the obbos can only ask for things to happen (like red flags, safety cars etc). But surely such safety critical requests should be respectfully acknowledged and carried out without question? If, after the event, it appears that such an action is an 'over-reaction' then it harms the racing, but I’d rather see that happen then a catastrophe.

Now, lets get one thing straight. I don't know the exact reason why the request for the car was denied so I’m not going to start to ***** directly about race control etc. I'm also relatively new to this marshalling game (started this year) so I’m still learning a lot every time I visit Brands, and this was definitely a learning experience. All I do know is there was a lot of ****ed off people there who felt that the situation had been handled inappropriately (including the drivers no-doubt).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But its frustrating when you feel a situation is needlessly out of your hands.

wiggles
Old 7 Aug 2002, 07:07 (Ref:352020)   #56
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I will only add one thing to this. If you had heard the comments from one R Murphy about what the marshals were NOT doing, you would have walked off the track.

I have made it VERY clear to those concerned that if I EVER hear comments such as those made last Sunday again, I will tnake my team and leave the circuit.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 08:05 (Ref:352033)   #57
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Stephens approach. I only wish other marshals took the same attitude and if appropriate apply the sanction. High profile meetings seems to be the worst for this high handed attitude. As an ex Touring Car groupie [6-7 years at all UK circuits] I experienced it first hand. I eventually blew my stack and submitted an written report. I haven't done a TOCA meeting for a couple of years now, and despite the apparent improvemnt in competition I suspect that the organisation is still as suspect.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 09:10 (Ref:352076)   #58
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
I see, all is clear now. I watched the aforementioned marshals soccer match on the main straight from my little metal dustbin at Post Six. That's the excuse for an observers hut that they put in place of the decent brick hut we used to have, but that's another story.

To be honest I thought the guys did a good job of clearing the debris and felt it was carried out in a safe controlled manner. It certainly looked professional from where we were.

I didn't hear the comment that came from Robin Murphy though I am interested to find out as it sounds as if it was derogatory. Can you email Stephen to discuss this further?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 09:20 (Ref:352079)   #59
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Keith, I would prefer to let sleeping dogs lie if you understand. Let's say that the Observer at Post 3 (Andy Mallins) and myself as Observer at Post 2 both asked for a safety car and it was refused. The resulting comments from the commentary box were in my opinion uncalled for and extremely inflammatory. The marshals from both posts spoke directly to Robin Murphy after the meeting and accepted his apology. On that basis I think it's best not to air bad feelings in public and to let the matter rest. When we next see each other I will give you the full story then ok?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 09:44 (Ref:352091)   #60
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
Well it's good to hear that Robin apologised, at least that is the main thing I guess.

We'll have a good natter next time we meet up as there is something else that came out the meeting that doesn't warrant being discussed openly.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:02 (Ref:352133)   #61
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ok, think I'm there in two weeks time.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:25 (Ref:352149)   #62
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
I'll be there on the 18th and also for the TOCA round. We'll have to do breakfast
Old 7 Aug 2002, 16:48 (Ref:352394)   #63
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some comments from Silly-toes.

I think marshals were quite correct to get hot under the collar about comments made by the commentator. To add fuel to the fire, I suggest you all look at page 47 of the programme. On that page you will see a list of people who "have put a great deal of time and effort into the organisation of this event. Special thanks go to:-" There then follows a list of people including Canon Photocopiers, the Catering Team, Admission Control, the St John Ambulance, the magpies nesting in the tree behind Post 6, the black bin liner in the Observers hut at Post 10, etc, etc. NO MENTION OF THE MARSHALS!!!!! Interestingly, the name at the bottom of the page is a well known commentator and (a bit of an oxymoron) Octagon Manager.

Last edited by Peter Scillitoe; 7 Aug 2002 at 16:55.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 07:07 (Ref:352798)   #64
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hmmm, I hadn't noticed that Peter, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 07:55 (Ref:352828)   #65
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who was responsible for putting together the programme - Brands Hatch /Octagon, or Ferrari Owners Club [or whatever]? If the former I'm not suprised, darling Nicola had the same attitude.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 08:19 (Ref:352843)   #66
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_J
Who was responsible for putting together the programme - Brands Hatch /Octagon, or Ferrari Owners Club [or whatever]? If the former I'm not suprised, darling Nicola had the same attitude.
Octagon.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 09:03 (Ref:352869)   #67
wiggles
Rookie

I had noticed that but I'd bit my tongue on that one.