Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Aug 2002, 18:31 (Ref:355408)   #1
traction
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
traction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can I start marshalling in the UK??

I'm looking to become a marshall in the UK and was wondering if anyone could provide some info..

- Is there one organisation that I could join that would allow me to work different tracks/events, or is it done on a track-by-track basis? From other postings I've read it appears that a series of marshalling clubs are used in the UK.

- I really want to get enough experience to start marshalling at F1 events - any pointers?? Any ideas on how many events you need before you "qualify" to work these types of events??

- Any ideas of the nearest track/event to Leeds - somewhere where I could go to marshall regularly?

Any info would be appreciated!
Old 11 Aug 2002, 19:08 (Ref:355434)   #2
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi traction. Welcome to 10/10ths:

Glad you want to become a marshal, the more the merrier.

As you correctly summised, there are a series of marshalling clubs in the uk. All in all its not a particually expensive hobby. It costs about £25 to join one of the marshalling organisations for a year (BMMC, BARC, BRSCC are the main ones). After that the only cost to you would be traveling to and from the circuit.

Old clothes and waterproofs are a must. Most people who get bitten by the marshalling bug end up buying a set of fetching hi-vis flame resistant overalls (about £40) but its not compulsory by any means.

As for the GP, I believe (and some of the veterans can correct me on this) that its an invitation-based event. I'm not sure exactly what 'qualifies' you for in invitation but I hope to marshal my first GP next year, and this is my first year of marshalling.

If you're interested in motorsports then marshalling is a must. Great fun.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 19:44 (Ref:355457)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi traction and welcome, as Wiggles has said there are many clubs out there and also numerous jobs to be done during a meeting, just ask anyone about their particular job it can be hard work but always fun at the end of the day.

But to answer about doing a GP, your first year is as a trainee, only once you are past thos point can you put in for the GP at the end of the season, your club will forward details at the time of how to apply. Once you've put in it's then the wait before the invite can/will arrive. Trust this helps.

As for near Leeds, Croft could be your nearest circuit.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:05 (Ref:355470)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Traction - if you get a chance visit www.marshalspost.com - Paul has recently added a section for marshalling clubs and it may be of some help.

Good luck with the marshalling.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:06 (Ref:355471)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Also re: Leeds, there's a good Hill Climb 'circuit' (is crcuit the corrct term for a Hillclimb?) in East Yorkshire somewhere (sorry, can't remember where - perhaps someone could help?) - might be worth seeking out (you'll find it somewhere on the web!), and it'll be nearer than Croft.

Donnington is another circuit within travelling distance for you is you're more interested in that type of racing
Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:20 (Ref:355487)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Always good to hear of new recruits, I hope you do join our marry mad band. The hill climb in Leeds would be Harewood. Having started in Hill Climbing myself, I cannot reccomend it enough. Fairly regular crews always willing to help, friendly, approachable drivers, and the chance to learn your incident handling (and boy, do hill climbs have some incidents) without other traffic hurtling by. Have fun, and we do despite the moans you may read elsewhere (including some from me!)
Old 12 Aug 2002, 06:50 (Ref:355776)   #7
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Traction,

Welcome to the forum!

If you're interested in attending a good meeting, this weekend's (17th/18th Aug) marathon at Oulton Park would be an excellent intro to marshalling. We've got Formula 3, GTs, Minis, TVRs, Formula Fords and Caterhams - which should all add up to a busy day.

Oulton Park should be less than 2 hours from Leeds, and there will be a few of us from this board there to show you the ropes.

If you'd like to go, contact Alastair Garrett (contact details on the BRSCC website under Centres, North West, or from my site) and explain that you'd like to take up marshalling. He'll send out a ticket to you (for free!). You could also just turn up on the day and buy a ticket at the gate.

If you do go, drop me a line via the PM system or by email, we can meet you there and lend you waterproofs to get you started.

Warning: marshalling means early mornings!! You'll need to be at most venues at around 7:30am

Have fun!

Paul.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:00 (Ref:355972)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Traction, let me add my voice to all the others who have welcomed you to ten-tenths. Have a look at the marshals club website as well www.marshals.co.uk as they will give you some very sound advice on the do's and dont's of the world.

As for the GP. As has been said above, you have to have to lose your 'novice' badge before you can volunteer for the Grand Prix. This normally takes about a year and must include at least one training day sanctioned by the Motor Sports Association. These days are normally held at major circuits during February/March before the season starts.

I would suggest you attend a couple of meetings before going to the expense of buying overals etc as the cost to kit yourself out from scratch can be quite expensive. It will also give you the chance to see it motorsport is for you before you committ to spending the cash.

Please ask us any questions, no matter how silly they may sound as we are all here to help where possible.

regards and safe marshalling,

Stephen.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 14:25 (Ref:356122)   #9
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome aboard traction.

Take a look at http://www.postfive.com

Sorry for plugging my site but you will get a good idea of what marshals do, there are also a number of very good links to other marshalling sites.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 14:40 (Ref:356130)   #10
The Sweeper
Rookie

England
Leeds
The Sweeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Traction welcome to the bunch of nutters called marshalls.
If your're near (or in Leeds) try coming to the Harewood hillclimb. I'll be there in September for a 2 day event and a Barbie but there is one on 25th Aug (Bank Hol Sunday).
If your're interested contact Mike Shorley his e.mail is mshorley@philidas.com.

Hill climbs are slightly different to circuit but can be just as fun.

As for circuits as you may have gathered I'm in Leeds and I tend to do Donnington mostly as it's easy and quck to get to, also Cadwell is a great circuit and has a very friendly buch of marshals.

Any further questions and I'll gladly help if I can.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 21:55 (Ref:356424)   #11
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Traction, welcome to the marshals world. As my friends in SCCA (that's the American club that licences most marshals in the US) say, you have the best seat in the house.
You will find also once you are out of trainee grade that you are part of a world wide family. Those hols abroad will never be the same again - hell, Evil Pumpkin is even going to marshal in England!- (sorry EP I couldn't resist that one)

We moan a bit, get wet and cold or hot and sunburned, but above all we are friendly.
Enjoy
Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:44 (Ref:356486)   #12
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Traction

You presumably have gathered you are most welcome to marshal with or without this load of egomaniacs from ten-tenths.

At Leeds you are central to Cadwell Park, Croft, Donington and Oulton Park. Beyond that Knockhill, Mallory, Rockingham and Silverstone are a bit further whilst Brands, Castle Combe, Goodwood, Lyden and Thruxton are a long way off. (note no preference - alphabetical) If you have a yearning to see who is sending communications from Dublin and Mondello Park then you are either brave, mad or an alcholic with good taste in food and a wonderful choice of company. Yes some of us go to Ireland. I see you are telapathic as well, how dare they say bad penny and my name in one sentance.

You can join one of the major marshalling clubs for the fee as mentioned by others. Your Yorkshire and tighter than the Scotch at Knockhill. (That should annoy the Scottish - they haven't bought me a drink yet). Cheapest alternative is to join what was the North East Marshalls Association currently run by Darlington and District Motor Club for free. They will try and suggest you join their DDMC club for a fee (my son is a paid up member). It is not compulsory to join the club, as a member or a non member you can be placed onto their marshalling data base and they provide training every winter for new and experianced marshals. All the other Marshalling Clubs provide similar training. All marshalling clubs give you access to any circuit, a little experiance is needed for F1 GP before you can apply, Schuey and Bernie can be a little choosy.

You can start marshalling now prior to any winter training. If you want to go to Croft on either 24 or 25th August or both days you will be very welcome. Contact me by harrap@ntlworld.com and I will get you a ticket to get in and how to get there (approx 70 miles up A1). If you want to go elsewhere, just add a request to this discussion thread and some maniac or marshal will provide the introduction.

Harewood hillclimb is on your doorstep as mentioned by others. You will find these mad marshalls sometimes go Rallying in Winter - cold and muddy. Now if you want to see 750bhp close up and three abreast, I recomend Rallycross at Blyton (near Gainsborough Lincoln) and especially the RallyCross SuperPrix at Croft on 17 & 18 November. The circuit boys have gone back to their garages and RallyCross Supercars can out accelerate a F1 car to 70mph. They are real fun with 30 races in a day.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 23:36 (Ref:356530)   #13
traction
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
traction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, a big THANK YOU! to everyone for the warm reception! I'm really glad I found this site!

Thanks for all the valuable info and offers of intro's, tickets etc! Here's some more info from my end ...

I'm already doing some marshalling out in Canada - but only a handful of events so far (SCCA, BEMC, Trans-Am, VARAC, Superbikes). In the next few months, it looks like I'll be relocating myself to Leeds for a while. The keen motorsports fan that I am (!), I want to try and get in on the UK action as soon as get over there - that's why I'm doing all the pre-work now!

With all this great info from you guys, I've got some great leads to start with! I'll probably check out the Harewood track first, just to see what's going on.

Thanks again everyone! I'll look forward to reading these postings regularly!

Go Leafs Go! (for the Canadian readers!)

Cheers!