Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 Mar 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2655112)   #1
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TAG Turbo engine

I was wondering if someone here might be able to shed some light on an engine I have. It is a block and heads of the Porsche built F1 engine that powered McLaren's MP4 chassis. I have contacted Porsche Motorsports in California along with McLaren but have been unsuccessful in getting any information.
My engine is TTE PO 1-14 and I believe that it was used in 1983 or 84. I would love to know the history of this engine as I have had it for some time and plan on keeping it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2655120)   #2
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You would be probably best off contacting either McLaren or Porsche or even John Barnard as he was the designer for McLaren at the time.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2661881)   #3
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine's known as the TTE PO 1, and the engine number is 42. It was used by Prost, Rosberg, Johansson, Watson, and Lauda from 1983 to 87. It's a 1500cc V6 Turbo, the TTE means Tag Turbo Engine. These V6 turbo's hearlded the end for the DFV Cosworth. They produced between 650 and 700 bhp in race trim, becauce of fuel consumption, and 4 bar boost, and over 1100 bhp in quallifying trim. It made it's debut in at the Dutch GP in 83.

John
Old 1 Apr 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2664884)   #4
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John,
I appreciate the information. I have a basic understanding of the TAG engines but was interested in the history of my block. I'm going to try and contact McLaren again and see if I have more luck this time around. What makes it hard is that I don't know anyone there so I assume that my requests get junked.
Old 2 Apr 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2665278)   #5
johnny99
Rookie

Ireland
Killucan, Ireland
johnny99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very possible, but worth a try. Google "the motorsport collector tag tte po", and contact them. They may be able to help you.

John
Old 2 Apr 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2665337)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John Barnard currently works with the furniture designer Terence Woodgate and I believe Terence Woodgate does some designing in conjunction with the Conran Shop. Apparently he has his studio in Sussex, whether that's East or West I'm not sure. You could try the BSI, British Standards Institution; I'm sort of clutching at straws here.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2667671)   #7
porman
Veteran

Thanks again John!
I contacted the Motorsport Collector years ago but nothing came of it.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2667679)   #8
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
John Barnard currently works with the furniture designer Terence Woodgate and I believe Terence Woodgate does some designing in conjunction with the Conran Shop. Apparently he has his studio in Sussex, whether that's East or West I'm not sure. You could try the BSI, British Standards Institution; I'm sort of clutching at straws here.

I can't thank the two of you enough! You have gone out of your way to help a stranger that seldom responds. I will see what comes of the information that you provided.
Old 25 May 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2698211)   #9
jhtaylor26
Rookie

England
jhtaylor26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MCLAREN TAG PORSCHE

TTE PO 1-14 WAS USED IN THE 1983 SEASONS, I HAVE 15,18,20,AND OTHERS FOR SALE , MCLAREN HAVE TOLD ME THE LOW NUMBERS WERE USED IN THIS YEAR ,THEY DO NOT HOLD ANY OTHER INFORMATION,IM TRYING TO GET IT FROM PORSCHE OR TAG,BEST OF LUCK
Old 15 Jun 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2712798)   #10
porman
Veteran

Imagine my surprise when I saw a new post. It has been some time since I checked my post. Thank you for the clarifying the year. I assumed that my block was from 83 or 84. I can't tell you how many different routes I have taken with Porsche Motorsport/McLaren only to get, "were sorry but we don't have any information."

It looks like I have found someone who understands my frustration. You mentioned that you have several for sale. Do you have any valve covers?

Thanks again!
Old 17 Jul 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2727917)   #11
ClubSport
Rookie

ClubSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can anyone tell me if these heads/blocks have o-ring grooves cut into them? Where can I find information on the sealing techniques used on the turbo engines of this era?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2728431)   #12
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw this and wondered if it might be useful for you. http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/TAG.html
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2730218)   #13
porman
Veteran

Great article Zico!

A few years ago I and an acquaintance of mine who also happened to build Porsche engines toyed with the idea of trying to get it running. Aside from the electronics, a lot of the parts were available.