Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 20 Nov 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3334352)   #201
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
As much as I love the Indycar series, it is not at his healthiest...
What would make it more appealing to the US fan?

Any new ideas?
Variety, not just a couple of factories that can afford to play the spec. game.

The Indianapolis 500 gained hugely, as did USAC, when Ford went up against Offy, but the rules allowed others to try and play.

As long as T. George inspired exclusionary rules are the rule, it is going nowhere fast.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3334354)   #202
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Danica Patrick back to Andretti.
I am not so sure that is such a good idea.

She would join Montoya as drivers who could not hack NASCAR going back to where they might do better.

I was listening to a radio show that was talking about NASCAR, Patrick, specifically, and they admitted that when she became an also ran, she totally disappeared from any mention is weekly race reports.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3334361)   #203
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Variety, not just a couple of factories that can afford to play the spec. game.

The Indianapolis 500 gained hugely, as did USAC, when Ford went up against Offy, but the rules allowed others to try and play.

As long as T. George inspired exclusionary rules are the rule, it is going nowhere fast.
Unfortunately, variety is only going to come in the form of aero-kits, something the teams are reluctant to persue because of the additional cost.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3338532)   #204
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think single seaters are missing the 'beast' factor (I made that one up).

Give them a generic aero package that creates a reasonable amount of downforce, though focus on big torquey engine that requires real modulation of the accelerator. There would be entertainment factor in power slides and overtaking as a result.

I wouldn't want the engines to be too old school though they wouldn't need to be as cutting edge as say next year's F1 engine. So long as they contained a reasonable amount of current tech, I think the audience wouldn't stop watching because of a perceived dinosaur factor.

I would be inclined to watch high quality drivers trying to tame a beast.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3339531)   #205
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfer View Post
I think single seaters are missing the 'beast' factor (I made that one up).

Give them a generic aero package that creates a reasonable amount of downforce, though focus on big torquey engine that requires real modulation of the accelerator. There would be entertainment factor in power slides and overtaking as a result.

I wouldn't want the engines to be too old school though they wouldn't need to be as cutting edge as say next year's F1 engine. So long as they contained a reasonable amount of current tech, I think the audience wouldn't stop watching because of a perceived dinosaur factor.

I would be inclined to watch high quality drivers trying to tame a beast.
Dan Gurney was a leading proponent of production based push-rod engines.

CART crapped all over him for it.

George created a production based farce.

CART and the IRL are both dead and new regs. are as underwhelming as the IRL was and CART morphed into.

Open the engine rules to USAC levels that CART inherited and watch the series grow.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3339535)   #206
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Dan Gurney was a leading proponent of production based push-rod engines.

CART crapped all over him for it.

George created a production based farce.

CART and the IRL are both dead and new regs. are as underwhelming as the IRL was and CART morphed into.

Open the engine rules to USAC levels that CART inherited and watch the series grow.
Unfortunately the IRL is very much alive and runs IndyCar and there in lies the problem, because the Hulman Georges don't see the series as really anything other than the perpetuation of the 500. What does the NBCSN deal do for the series? Nothing except bring revenue in to the IRL; it hasn't translated into greater TV audiences and advertising revenue, in fact just the opposite.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 2 Dec 2013 at 23:48.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3339557)   #207
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear. I think you need to let that go. I think it's plain to see mark miles and Derrick walker see the value and need of a strong series outside of the 500

Let the agenda go mate. You ll be happier for it
Old 3 Dec 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3339561)   #208
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Oh dear. I think you need to let that go. I think it's plain to see mark miles and Derrick walker see the value and need of a strong series outside of the 500

Let the agenda go mate. You ll be happier for it
Haha you kidding me? 2014 is going to be one of the shortest seasons and the longest off season ever.

As much as I admire Walker this 2014 transitionital season of IndyCar is what's on the agenda.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3339565)   #209
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Haha you kidding me? 2014 is going to be one of the shortest seasons and the longest off season ever.

As much as I admire Walker this 2014 transitionital season of IndyCar is what's on the agenda.
No. To suggest that there is efforts on the 500 at the expenses of the series shows a lack of understanding of the situation.

As you say 2014 is a transitional aimed at 2015 expansion.

IMS with miles and Walker at the helm are doing what they can for indycar, not just the 500. Time to put personal agendas and bias away
Old 3 Dec 2013, 02:24 (Ref:3339567)   #210
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No. To suggest that there is efforts on the 500 at the expenses of the series shows a lack of understanding of the situation.

As you say 2014 is a transitional aimed at 2015 expansion.

IMS with miles and Walker at the helm are doing what they can for indycar, not just the 500. Time to put personal agendas and bias away
If there's a lack of understanding of the situation, it's the IRL TV deal with NBCSN.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 02:38 (Ref:3339568)   #211
D.R.T.
Veteran

What's the lack of understanding with the tv deal between indycar and nbcsn?

Its a 10 year deal where they are paying $$$$ that other stations aren't.

More viewers are needed - but so is income

#noperfectsolution

Last edited by D.R.T.; 3 Dec 2013 at 02:47.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3339742)   #212
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
What's the lack of understanding with the tv deal between indycar and nbcsn?

Its a 10 year deal where they are paying $$$$ that other stations aren't.

More viewers are needed - but so is income

#noperfectsolution
NBCSN is a cable, pay to view channel. If people aren't watching a sporting event because they have to pay, then advertising revenue from sponsors declines. The IRL gets a fee from NBCSN but because viewing figures are falling, due to NBCSN's pay to view coverage, sponsors aren't getting the exposure for their product, which is why HP, Go-Daddy and National Guard are no longer sponsoring IndyCar teams and which is why some teams have gone to the wall.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3339746)   #213
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NBCSN is in 20 million fewer homes than ESPN. Ol' Anton did them no good when he signed the deal with what was then Versus. The best hope is that they grow their subscription base by getting Nascar in 2015. But, they are screwed in the meantime.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3339753)   #214
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
NBCSN is in 20 million fewer homes than ESPN. Ol' Anton did them no good when he signed the deal with what was then Versus. The best hope is that they grow their subscription base by getting Nascar in 2015. But, they are screwed in the meantime.
That begs the question, how many NASCAR fans are going to watch IndyCar? IndyCar to diehard NASCAR fans is anathema.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3339890)   #215
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking of T.V., the 2014 T.V. schedule released today.

http://www.racer.com/2014-indycar-tv...rticle/323491/
Old 3 Dec 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3339912)   #216
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So, ABC will broadcast the St Pete race, the GP of Indianapolis race, 2 hours of Bump Day, 2 hours of Pole Day, the 500, and both Detroit races. That's a total of 18,5 hours on air television.

Except for the 500, the other four races on ABC have the brodcast starting at 3:30. Six races on NBC Sports Network have their broadcasts starting at 3:00, which is the same race start as in ABC. Coverage ends at 6 pm in all those 10 races.

There are three Saturday night races: Texas, Iowa and Fontana.
Old 4 Dec 2013, 00:42 (Ref:3339949)   #217
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who is doing Long Beach - thats a big race, isnt it...
Old 4 Dec 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3339959)   #218
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Who is doing Long Beach - thats a big race, isnt it...
It was NBCSN this year and it took me ages to get a decent feed.
Old 4 Dec 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3340051)   #219
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We get all Indy car races on speed tv in Oz - why ain't it just on the 1 station over there?
Old 4 Dec 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3340090)   #220
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I wonder will next year be the last year when all these races are broadcast live.
Old 4 Dec 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3340137)   #221
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
We get all Indy car races on speed tv in Oz - why ain't it just on the 1 station over there?
Originally IndyCar it was on Sky Sports 4 then this season coverage was shared with ESPN UK. I can only assume Sky stopped full coverage because the viewing figures were low and it wasn't worth their while showing all the races.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 02:15 (Ref:3340308)   #222
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally IndyCar it was on Sky Sports 4 then this season coverage was shared with ESPN UK. I can only assume Sky stopped full coverage because the viewing figures were low and it wasn't worth their while showing all the races.
Sky dumped the live Indycar. They may have kept on highlights - I'm not 100% sure - but there was certainly no live stuff on there when ESPN UK took it on.

All the live stuff was on ESPN UK but it was liable to be bumped by soccer or whatnot so not everything was shown live. They did more live stuff than I expected mind you but there was a number of races that was shown delayed.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3340362)   #223
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Sky dumped the live Indycar. They may have kept on highlights - I'm not 100% sure - but there was certainly no live stuff on there when ESPN UK took it on.

All the live stuff was on ESPN UK but it was liable to be bumped by soccer or whatnot so not everything was shown live. They did more live stuff than I expected mind you but there was a number of races that was shown delayed.
All the broadcasts from Sky this season were live and the same for ESPN UK, just that Sky didn't show all the races.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3340385)   #224
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
All the broadcasts from Sky this season were live and the same for ESPN UK, just that Sky didn't show all the races.
Sky Sports showed none of the races live this year. ESPN had the exclusive live contract.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3340386)   #225
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Sky Sports showed none of the races live this year. ESPN had the exclusive live contract.
I'm pretty sure I saw live races on Sky. The broadcast coincided with the scheduled time on the IndyCar website. Anyway, this season's come and gone. I've no idea what's going to happen next year.