Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jul 2002, 17:45 (Ref:340908)   #1
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mid-season Training Day

I'm trying to find out what sort of support there would be for a mid-season training day. The marshals' guild, part of the vscc, is trying to find out how popular this would be, it would be aimed mainly at VSCC and possibly MAC members if i can persuade the MAC to run it jointly. Obviously any marshals would be welcome, but if i try to aim it at two clubs it'll be easier to find a weekend mid-season when nothing is on.

Please post any feedback you have here as i am now in charge of the marshals' guild and can try to annoy enough people into getting my own way!

If any of you have marshalled a VSCC event and would like to give me any feedback on your experiences please e-mail me thru the members list. Also the marshals guild is free to join, e-mail info@vscc.co.uk with your address details and they should add you onto our register and send you out a badge and a few other bits and pieces, the only requirement is you have marshalled a vscc event.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 20:33 (Ref:341087)   #2
icklimp
Racer

England
Surely someone must have an opinion, after all you lot are the most opinionated bunch i've had the pleasure of being referred to as 'he' by!

Please don't feel that you have to be a VSCC or MAC member to tell me what you think.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 20:48 (Ref:341098)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have just come off the phone, speaking to a mate who suggested we could have perhaps used the cancelled Cadwell meeting to run a training day for both marshals & drivers.
The serious side is what are the powers that be going to say because a meeting gets cancelled whilst 70miles down the road the marshals are holding a training day.
Several rally clubs hold summer training days mainly because they don't have a closed season.
mind you having said that I am doing the christmas stages in August this year.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 21:05 (Ref:341114)   #4
icklimp
Racer

England
thats why the date would have to be very carefully thought out but at the end of the day most seasoned vssc marshals don't do many other meetings because they are there for the cars. i know this does not hold true for everyone, i don't only do vscc or cadwell, but say a training day was held at shelsley, we would do it on a weekend where theres no meetings at prescott, shelsley or loton, and also when there are no meetings organised by clubs in the immediate area, it'll be a bugger to work out but essentially i think its a good idea.
there has been more than one person i've used as a sounding board who has done nearly a whole season without attending a training day. if clubs want to run their meetings they need our man(and woman)power to do it. So we need to make sure people are confident at what they are doing and feel they're valued by having things like this put on for them. the powers that be can whinge and whinge but they'll whinge a hell of a lot more when there's hardly any marshals and even fewer experienced ones and events are being cancelled.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 21:07 (Ref:341117)   #5
icklimp
Racer

England
however i think drivers at a training day is a very good idea, two way communication between us can only be a good thing, as can seeing life on the other side of the tracks (or track)
Old 23 Jul 2002, 23:27 (Ref:341227)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drivers at a training day - great idea. one of the best sessions I ever attended was Willem Toet talking us through his neck-breaking Loton shunt from his point of view. What we could really do with as well is Organisers at a training day - Octagon/BMP, etc? maybe they'll find out we do something other than spectator marshalling!

A summer training day is a good idea, but it needs to be in the programme before everyone's fixed their season. One of the Vintage drivers at Shelsley has offered to run a training session for guiding in the Air Ambulance, and may even be able to arrange an Army chopper to come along (He's in the TA at a senior rank).
Old 24 Jul 2002, 07:36 (Ref:341371)   #7
icklimp
Racer

England
Which driver? I'll collar him at the first chance i get.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 09:37 (Ref:341425)   #8
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll speak to you at the weekend at signing on
Old 24 Jul 2002, 11:48 (Ref:341493)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I've answered this in the Yahoo Group, but for the ten-tenths members, here is my ten pennysworth.

For most marshals, training days are held before the start of the season, largely due to marshals needing a training signature on their licence if they are trying for a grading. In any event you have to have at least one training day signature on your MSA licence per year if you wish to marshal events such as the British GP.

In the case of the VSCC it would appear from the post that many of the marshals are not MSA licenced (not that I have a problem with that) and if a mid season training day is what the majority wish, then I feel it's a good idea.

Peter may correct me here, but I was under the impression that for a marshal to gain a signature on his/her licence for training, the training day has to be MSA sanctioned? That may be something to bear in mind if you then wish to go and marshal other events!

Stephen.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:06 (Ref:341566)   #10
icklimp
Racer

England
Cheers Pete i'll see you on Saturday

Stephen, yes most VSCC marshals are not MSA licenced so shouldn't cause a hugh problem, the idea is to target new marshals, people who haven't been to a training day. Thanks for the feedback, any more just let me know
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:20 (Ref:341578)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Always a pleasure dear. If you wish to add my name to the availability list then the e-mail address to use is s.c.green@btinternet.com Here's hoping to see you sometime soon. Are there any VSCC meetings at Brands this year?
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:32 (Ref:341590)   #12
icklimp
Racer

England
Nope never do Brands, next meeting is Prescott hillclimb on 3rd/4th august, then loton park on 31st august and 1st september and then 21st september at silverstone, although i've heard a viscious rumuor that silverstone are cancelling september meetings so they can tear more stuff up!

If you want any info on the marshals guild e-mail me at icklimp@marshalspost.com
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:40 (Ref:341597)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Silverstone are due to tear down the pits and build new garages and media centre ready for next years British Grand Prix.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 15:58 (Ref:341697)   #14
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Peter may correct me here, but I was under the impression that for a marshal to gain a signature on his/her licence for training, the training day has to be MSA sanctioned? That may be something to bear in mind if you then wish to go and marshal other events!
Your impression is correct.

BTW, why does the VSCC not come to Brands? The cars would look great on the GP circuit.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 15:59 (Ref:341698)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ask the lady Peter! Probably something to do with costs I suspect.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 16:36 (Ref:341726)   #16
icklimp
Racer

England
Probably, for several years they went to no circuits owned by nicola, even now they only go to cadwell, due to issues over silencers and of course the costs are expensive, however i do not have a definite reason, but i will collar the person who usually negotiates with any circuits at prescott on 3rd august and let you know exactly why.

Glad to see you've finally noticed i'm female stephen, got the contact lenses in this time have you? However i think calling me a lady might be pushing it a bit far!
Old 25 Jul 2002, 06:55 (Ref:342180)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Politeness is one of my best assets dear lady
Old 25 Jul 2002, 16:50 (Ref:342581)   #18
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
?????

(nuff said )
Old 26 Jul 2002, 06:58 (Ref:343154)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hmmm, watch it young man!
Old 26 Jul 2002, 08:13 (Ref:343184)   #20
wiggles
Rookie

hehe...

Are you going to be at Brands for the Ferrari festival next weekend Mr. Green?
Old 26 Jul 2002, 08:23 (Ref:343193)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes, Saturday and Sunday...You?
Old 26 Jul 2002, 08:49 (Ref:343202)   #22
wiggles
Rookie

Definitely Sunday, hopefully Saturday. It all depends on how tired I feel after working next week.

At any rate I'll see you in and around the Kentagon at somepoint over the weekend.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 09:52 (Ref:343224)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Will do. Let's hope the weather stays dry for the TGP guys!
Old 26 Jul 2002, 22:48 (Ref:343690)   #24
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too will be at Brands for the Bigger Red. Hopefully Friday as well as Saturday and Sunday.
Old 28 Jul 2002, 21:58 (Ref:344798)   #25
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
One of the Vintage drivers at Shelsley has offered to run a training session for guiding in the Air Ambulance, and may even be able to arrange an Army chopper to come along (He's in the TA at a senior rank).
Chris, you should know better?
The Air Ambulance dont need guiding in, it lands where it wants!!!!
Rgrds, Jim