Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Aug 2002, 17:53 (Ref:347996)   #26
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not stopping as I'm due at a wedding on Saturday night, but I should like to meet up for a glass of something at the end of Friday (non-alcoholic for me since I'm driving).

I don't want to stay away from meetings - I tried that for two years, just doing the odd Donington, but that changes nothing except making it harder for the one's who do go. Since I've got to be away on Saturday, I shall explain at sign on that I have to leave at 6:30, and maybe that would be the best idea - get everyone to impose their own curfew if the organisers won't, and it might wake someone up when we all leave?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 20:49 (Ref:348995)   #27
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who understands a little more about Woolley, (he's a Chief Marshal theses days!!) having been "spoilt" at Speed Hillclimb events, I have to agree with most of the points here. Yes, we all do it because we love it and decide to carry on for as long as we do with "our eyes wide open"! We know it's not and never will be but.......and here's my point.....

if any of you ever feel the need to re-charge your batteries and rekindle your love of motorsport to the extent that you can then return to Donnington, Silverstone etc, may I suggest either or both of the following:

1) attend any 750MC meeting at any smaller track (Mallory etc)

2) attend any of the three Midland Hillclimbs (Shelsley,Loton or Prescott).

Reasons I hear you ask......... well......
750 seem to host race meetings for one reason only....TO RACE!! short practice, plenty of close races, guarenteed lunch break and a written thank-you after.

Hillclimbs? how about signing-on money (£5), free tea and coffee at sign-on and lunch, free lunch (Loton),free beer(shelsley) and free accomodation (Prescott), plus at all three, a true sense of "being-part-of-it" which comes from the Clerk right through to the drivers!!

I know nothing beats the thrill of a close race, I love it myself, but as a boost to the old ego, nothing beats a Speed Hillclimb.

Nuff said, next poster's turn :-)
Old 2 Aug 2002, 20:54 (Ref:348998)   #28
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well put stu I do mallory and love it. I have still got to get down to shelsley and prescott but have done a few at Loton and loved them all, I think John Beard (think thats his name) does a great job there as chief marshal. Only trouble is walking up the bloody hill when your on 8 or 9 and park in the gap.
Old 4 Aug 2002, 21:22 (Ref:350016)   #29
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,
Here's our bit------ WHY DON'T YOU COME TO AN OFF ROAD MEETING!!!!!!
There you get to camp with, next to, or whatever along with Chief/clerk/scruts/comps etc, and get no B!"££$$%Y hassle at all, infact one guy does 5 different jobs all bar wash the toilet!!, competitors marshal, scrutineers are passengers/marshal now tellus where you would find that type of weekend in actual fact (quoting Dennis Harris - gold badge pits) if any driver is short of a passenger, pay a £1.00 and YOU could have a go.
But going back to what Tony J says, we've been listening to that for the last 11 years!!!! and still the record dosn't change (SORRY TONY STILL LUV YA BABE don't tell maggie)!!
but he is right everyone is right no matter what opinion they have at the end of the day as long as we do this for the love of it and are prepared to take the s!"t that goes with it then they will continue to dish it.
Flagman I'd much rather prefer your A than B as Mallory has had it's fair share recently whether fully manned or not

RIGHT OUR SOAP BOX FINNISHED GOODNIGHT EVERYONE!!!!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 08:23 (Ref:350237)   #30
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Special note to micaz43.- MickMick - The record hasn't changed for the last 11 years because nothing has changed in that time except that more marshals have decided to do something else with their leisure time. Been going off road [and off the rails] for the last 20 years. Should try rallys they are just as much fun as roundy roundy except for the early morning starts!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 09:08 (Ref:350254)   #31
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker

The only problem with rallys is the directions to signing on.

For us 'London A-Z' types 'map Nr 102, grid ref whatever' is a bit much to handle at 6am on a sunday morning!!!!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 12:33 (Ref:350396)   #32
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I said early morning starts, I meant early morning. 6am is half way through the morning!!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 13:45 (Ref:350456)   #33
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Well, that's why God invented Pro-plus!

I was being optimistic, 6am would allow me to have a 60 minute lie-in, 4 to 5am wouldn't be any real difference, any earlier and I just wouldn't bother going to bed!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:45 (Ref:350795)   #34
micaz43
Rookie

well there are some real old fogies around arn't there Neil!! maybe you ought to put that gym back in your car, as for the A-Z do you know what that means??? and is it held the right way up!! (from mick). stuff it all Mallory is only 20mins for you neil stick to that at least you can still do a 9 to 5 on Sundays as well you part timer, or if you travel with Sheila Marrison you might take 3 days via inverness!!!!!!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:47 (Ref:350798)   #35
micaz43
Rookie

TONY DO THEY DO PRO PLUS IN GIANT SIZE, send some down for Mick and Rach PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEE!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 06:50 (Ref:351020)   #36
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Mick, spoken like a right trucker!!!

Anyway, Mallory is only 10 minutes, Donington 25 and Silverstone 50, but only because the Northampton Traffic Nazi's are b*******.

I have just spent two years travelling to the frozen North! Why on earth would I want to go back there? (I never even got to see knockhill).

Perhaps you are right, I'll stick to the roundy-roundy as it seems slightly more civilized for an ageing git. (Note to Mick, the hair may be receding, but it is still the original colour! perhaps thats what marriage does for you!)
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:15 (Ref:351514)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Stu has given away my secret, and I must confess that I am a reluctant acting Chief Marshall, hoping someone else will come along who really wants the job!

The various contributors are right in that some forms of motor sport do treat the marshals better. I do hill climbsand rallies, and enjoy both, but I like variety in my life and want to do circuits as well. I'm hacked off with being treated like a bum-hole - something you don't really like, but can't do without.

As a Chief I consider my main duty to be representing the Marshals' interests to the club (something my predecessor was prepared to resign over). I don't see any circuit chief marshall saying 'you can't expect the marshals to do that many hours' or whatever. Nor do the BMMC, BRDC Marshals' Club, Donington ES, MSA or their stewards, so just who is supposed to be looking after our welfare? Will the real Marshals' rep please take a huge leap forward.

Incidentally, my boss volunterred to help for the commonwealth games. He did ten shifts, and for his pains, the following was his thank you:

Free uniform (wearable away from the event - try that with your probans)
Personal effects bag with bottle and holder.
8 hour shifts, times notified in advance.
2 free hot meals per shift.
Tickets allowing him to eat in the VIP restaurant int he athletes village.
1ltr bottled water every two hours.
Commemorative medal after the event.
For completing 100% of his shifts without absence, entry into a prize draw for a mid range Panasonic Tv.

Compare that with what you've had this year.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 07:35 (Ref:353597)   #38
micaz43
Rookie

Neil,
Hi, it's Caz here, just off to bed and Mick says read your reply before I go. AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN ABOUT THE COLOUR OF MICKS HAIR!!!!!! ARE YOU IMPLYING IT'S SOMTHING TO DO WITH ME!!!! If you are you just might be right, but I'll have you know he is now sending me grey! or is that just the kids
see you soon I'm K!"£$%%^^d