Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:10 (Ref:355477)   #1
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Washing Probans?

I'm going to ask what might seem a stupid question...

What do you guys use to wash your Proban overalls? According to the label on mine I should use a soap free detergent, but I don't know where I'll find one of these.

Help please!!
Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:35 (Ref:355496)   #2
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Piglet ! Ok I washed mine with a small bit of Persil Non Bio and I would strongly advise a cool wash cos mine definately did shrink slightly.

Dont dont dont put them into the dryer, dry them outdoors

Hope this helps !
Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:53 (Ref:355505)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks - mine shrink everytime I put them in the wardrobe!
Old 11 Aug 2002, 20:58 (Ref:355506)   #4
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Persil Colour was fine with my Probans, dried them in the tumble drier on cool, they haven't shrunk much.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:01 (Ref:355508)   #5
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet
Thanks - mine shrink everytime I put them in the wardrobe!
Ah, so you also have a pair of self shrinking overalls, I suggest not feeding them chocolates so often
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:07 (Ref:355516)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore

Ah, so you also have a pair of self shrinking overalls, I suggest not feeding them chocolates so often
LOL!!! Do you think that's what it is?? Never thought about it like that....:-) !!

But seriously, what about this non-soap stuff and the Proban?

Last edited by Piglet; 11 Aug 2002 at 21:08.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:28 (Ref:355546)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Probans! (this is taken from the instructions I got with mine)

Laundering

There are two definite MUST NOTS:
You must not wash Proban-treated garments in traditional soap based powders eg. Lux, Velvet & Advance etc. These soap powders can form flammable deposits which may adversely affect the flame-retardant performance of the fabric.
You must not use Hydrochlorite-based household bleaches such as Domestos, White King (and all supermarket blends) as they can destroy the flame retardancy of the fabric.
You can wash Proban-treated garments in conventional washing machines. It is recommended that they be washed at 60 degrees Celsius for mixtures of coloured goods and 40 degrees Celsius for mixtures of whites and pale colours. Use the wash program for non-colour fast cotton articles. You may use the following washing powders:
Castle FAB Cold Power OMO Drive Radiant Dynamo Spree Surf

A short re-soak (up to 2 hours at room temperature) may be useful for articles which are heavily stained or soiled. It is suggested that garments be regularly washed to prevent a build-up of soiling. Garments can be tumble dried (preferably at a warm setting). Take care not to over-dry the garments ie. Continuing to leave them in the dryer when they are dry. Over-drying will not affect the flame-retardant properties of the garment but, as the base fabric is cotton, excessive shrinkage might occur
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:29 (Ref:355548)   #8
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest, I asked other marshals that even bothered washing their probans and most had used Persil and they were fine. It think it overwashing that causes problems with proban.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:50 (Ref:355567)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Mine have been washed half a dozen times using Acdo, with no apparent ill effect - the smell of Proban is still there, which I see as an indication that the treatment is still present.

I believe it is possible to have the Proban treatment re-done quite cheaply at some dry cleaners.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 05:45 (Ref:355756)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll give it a go!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:35 (Ref:356025)   #11
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Proban bit visible? By that I mean how is it possible to know whether it's still there or not? Is it one of those things we have to take on trust?
And, what's the longest anyone out there has kept the same pair of overalls?
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:49 (Ref:356054)   #12
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proban is a chemical treatment applied to material, hence Dave Brands' comment about still smelling it. Normally it will last for quite a number of washes, if you use the soap-free type of detergents (always confused about that one!) 50-60 washes.

And the longest I have had the same pair of overalls is 3 years (or since the RAC issued them for the GP that year), but I expect some out there have had theirs even longer.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 14:15 (Ref:356114)   #13
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always washed mine in normal washing powder and then let them dry naturally. Remember this, if you are going to rely on your overalls flame retardancy then you had better wear a balaclava all the time as your face will burn long before your washed probans do.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 17:48 (Ref:356226)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

I take your point Pinki, but having stumped up the readies for Proban it seems a shame not to at least have a go at taking care of them. Otherwise I might as well have saved the bucks for more chocolate to feed my self-shrinking overalls!
Old 13 Aug 2002, 14:56 (Ref:356904)   #15
jgc
Rookie

jgc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by QuickBrownFox
Is the Proban bit visible? By that I mean how is it possible to know whether it's still there or not? Is it one of those things we have to take on trust?
And, what's the longest anyone out there has kept the same pair of overalls?
Place yourself next to a burning vechicle and see if you become a crispy black shade
Old 13 Aug 2002, 21:44 (Ref:357273)   #16
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs Diamond Geezer takes my Probans down to the local river, washes them in the river, then bashes them over stones on the bank, finally hanging them out to dry on nearby thornbush. Make mental note: next time must remember to take them off first. Not sure, however, whether she wears gloves.

Last edited by Peter Scillitoe; 13 Aug 2002 at 21:45.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 08:30 (Ref:357483)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
good one Peter...
but I live by the old Scottish proverb that I've just created
why bother washing, it'll be raining on you soon
Old 14 Aug 2002, 12:13 (Ref:357635)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

Place yourself next to a burning vechicle and see if you become a crispy black shade [/B][/QUOTE]

JGC - I don't really understand what you mean, perhaps you'd care to demonstrate...
Old 14 Aug 2002, 12:36 (Ref:357662)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
There's a simple way to check whether much-washed Probans still have their flame retardant properties. Just cut out a piece of material from somewhere where it won't show & hold a match to it.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 12:46 (Ref:357668)   #20
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to worry anyone, but I've heard that Dale Winton is keeping tags on this thread - watch your doorstep for the Persil challenge!!!!!
Old 14 Aug 2002, 12:47 (Ref:357671)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe some of the major dry cleaners can treat overalls with a proban wash, however, it isn't cheap.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 21:03 (Ref:360576)   #22
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quickbrownfox, ever smwlt your probans after a wet day on the bank?? THAT'S PROBAN!! so if they smell like that every time you wash them then there ok!! time to worry is when they don't!! personally i've always tried to hang them up to dry naturally as I don't particulaly fancy the smell lingering in my kicthen for days on end!!
One last thing Johnson Bros (aka skecthley) do the probanning again for you as one of our pit marshal from mallory works there but she did'nt let on how much, will ask for you all, answer in next 48 hours for anyone interested
Old 19 Aug 2002, 20:57 (Ref:361581)   #23
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
update on reprobaning overalls:-
According to Velma, Probans should normally have a 30 month life span, thats with washing them every week!!but if you are lucky enough to have a pair of overalls that old you can contact Giltbrook @
Hampden Street
Giltbrook
Nottingham 0115 9382231

She does not know how much but is assured they can help.
Good Luck