Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:13 (Ref:358614)   #1
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone Pit Complex

According to Autosport the redevelopment of the pit complex at Silverstone has been put on hold to allow the spectator facilities to be improved to placate Mr E. They talk about an upgrading of the pit complex in the short term followed by rebuilding in the longer term.

I had been told that the first half of the pit lane was going to be demolished a week after the GP - but presumably that didn't happen?

Does anyone know if it's all still standing up there?
Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:54 (Ref:358673)   #2
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750MC were up there 2 weeks after GP. We were told half the garages would be down but a week before said that work wasn't started but not to allocate garages. Plan was for half to be demolished and rebuilt with hospitality above then same to second half with completion by next year. if end timetable is fixed, will they now pull them all down and screw up our Birkett 6 hour relay. Hopefully not!!
Old 15 Aug 2002, 21:04 (Ref:358689)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From reading Autosport it sounds more likely that they won't be pulling any of them down this year...

Sounds like there has been a change of plan.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 07:47 (Ref:358864)   #4
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was up there a few days ago before the article in autosport.
the pit garages from the bridge up to copse were all closed, the area behind them including the support pits, garage and toilets was fenced off with 'building site no entry signs up' and some building type vechiles (jcb's, dump trucks etc...)

However apart from a big hole behind the pit office nothing else had been done.

But I'm glad to see Mr E still has the influence to change any plan he likes and even complain about that when he feels like it.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 11:43 (Ref:358990)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Anyone want to give me odds that Bernie's comments next year will invlove the pit garages not being up to scratch.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 11:57 (Ref:359015)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
With the amount of money Octagon are losing I bet they drew a big sigh of relief! In fairness the pit garages at Silverstone are not that bad and have to be better than those at many other circuits the F1 guys use.

With money leaving Formula 1 at an alarming rate, the days of BE being able to dictate what happens at circuits are rapidly drawing to a close I hope.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:04 (Ref:359024)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

I think the rebuild will go ahead in some form and at some point, if only to allow the provision of hospitality facilities above!

From a marshalling point of view, there is currently a pit office and a startline office but the new plans do not appear to provide for either.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:08 (Ref:359031)   #8
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
There currently is no provision for a startline office, although there is space allocated for a portakabinTM type structure for the pit marshals. Doubt this would be any use for startline as it's at the wrong end of the pitlane!!!

Redshoes: No Bet!!!!!

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 16 Aug 2002 at 12:08.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:34 (Ref:359063)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Neil are you talking about the current situation as it is or the current version of the plans for the rebuild?
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:41 (Ref:359077)   #10
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
When I last saw the scheme drawings, circa late June, this was the situation. I have no reason to believe the situation has changed from a layout point of view. However I have heard that money is a problem so the available funds are being re-allocated once again to pander to the whims of the Ecclefuhrer.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:49 (Ref:359087)   #11
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for my cynicism, but do we really need the GP? How much has money has been spent on the circuit, infrastructure and surrounding roads etc compared by the income generated AND RETAINED by the circuit? Seems to be just a bottomless pit with EB in charge.
Anyone remember what happened to the Brabham F1 team and the TV rights sold to Kirsch.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:49 (Ref:359089)   #12
Piglet
Veteran

That's interesting, the version I saw (some time ago) didn't include any allocation for pit marshals - sounds like this is an improvement!

Did it appear to plan a permanent structure or a space that a temporary structure would be put on for big meetings (ie 1 a year!) and do I gather from your earlier comment it was earmarked for the far end of the pit lane (ie opposite end to Race Control?).
Old 16 Aug 2002, 13:02 (Ref:359105)   #13
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
If you call a shed an improvement!?... I think it is going to be one of the usual permanent 'temporary' buildings.
It has to be at the end of the pitlane because the bloody great monstrosity of a bridge that is going across the track to waft the F1 paddock club into their hermetically sealed enclosure is taking up the space where the pitlane office currently resides.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 13:40 (Ref:359139)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

Well...something is better than nothing so I think it is an improvement; whether it's good or not is a different matter!!
Old 16 Aug 2002, 13:46 (Ref:359142)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
At this rate the facilities at Silverstone will be as **** as they are at Brands. Then the next step is to take the GP back to Kent hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....