Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Oct 2002, 11:12 (Ref:406395)   #1
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brabham, Magnussen split with Panoz

Don Panoz is crazy.... Star sportcars partners David Brabham and Jan Magnussen have been released from their contracts Panoz team... Ohh...It's really bad...!!!
They were the Panoz best drivers...
Old 17 Oct 2002, 11:20 (Ref:406402)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link to the story
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21014&s=12

This really opens up the driver market in the ALMS, with Lehto and McNish also being available for drives. That is providing that they stay in the series.
However the most distressing part of this story is Panoz's plans to drop the prototypes.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 17 Oct 2002, 11:58 (Ref:406423)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Disappointing maybe, but not really surprising. The team haven't exactly covered themselves with glory over the last 5 years.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 13:44 (Ref:406489)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just don't think Panoz'll be racing at all next year... I think with Cadillac and Audi officially pulling out their factory teams, a concensus has developed to put the series in the hands of the privateers for now...

And let's be honest, the LMP-01 is not a competitive car anymore... It's being outclassed by the cheaper R&S Mk III C using the same engine. And it'd be obselete anyways once the ground effects come back due to the driveshaft.

I just hope the development of the Elan V8 continues. That's a really strong engine!
Old 17 Oct 2002, 13:49 (Ref:406494)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps Panoz will team up with R&S for next year? I thought I heard a rumour that linked them, based on the Elan connection.

(waiting for the other shoe)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Oct 2002, 13:50 (Ref:406496)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
What a shame !

At the opposite, Don Panoz confirmed to Michel Cosson (ACO Chairman), at Chateau Elan during the awards ceremony, a partnership 'till 2008, and probably after...

Michel Cosson said that PLM is going to become a Great Le Mans...

But no news about the cars... and Michel Cosson said that it will be mainly privateer teams next year...

What to think about all that stuff ? :confused:
Old 17 Oct 2002, 14:04 (Ref:406506)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz wants to set-up again in the GTS category. Shame Magnussen and Brabham had to leave, they were the only cars who looked like challenging Audi till caddilac arrived. Another blow to the sports car industry. Hope Jan and David are signed together for a new top team.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 16:17 (Ref:406581)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its not a blow. The Panoz LMP is no longer competitive and cannot compete with the R&SMkIIIc and especially the MGs and Domes, let alone the Audis.

Next year, in LMP, there will be good privateer teams running good cars like Dysons 2 cars, Matthews, privateer Audis, Dome, IRM and the like. Whats the point of a very expensive Panoz works team struggling to keep up with the top privateers.

The ALMS is trying to postion itself so that IF works teams come in they allow customer chassis to be sold unlike Aud/BMW for a lot of the time. Any new LMPs would only arrive in 2004 and later due to the new regs. The new Lola LMP900 will probably be the car of choice in 2004 considering the MGs performance.

The goog thing about a Panoz GTS is that it will enable teams to purchase a cost effective, competitive GTS car to compete with Corvette and Saleen and create great rivlry among the American Manufactuers.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 17:13 (Ref:406618)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very, very interesting, I think it is a real shame, I hope they can find drives else where (Bentley). As for the Panoz pull-out that is also an interesting, move it will be itnteresting to see if the cars make Le Mans next year.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 17:25 (Ref:406631)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz don't have a great budget, so releasing Brabham and Magnussen is a good move.

Even if they are great drivers.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 10:33 (Ref:407100)   #11
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Good move?? Without good drivers is impossible to develop a good car.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:07 (Ref:407119)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've gotta be joking! No Brabham at Panoz
Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:07 (Ref:407120)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really poor timing isn't it, right after Mags won the "For the Fans" award by a landslide? Still this should give him a good chance of catching on with someone else.

But there are plenty of new cars coming on line and I'm sure they'll both find good drives. I'll miss That Panoz Sound though.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:407163)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping that sound'll still be there, Liz... Just in a more competive Riley & Scott chassis.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 14:27 (Ref:407238)   #15
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Mags is already trying to find a drive in CART or IRL. He's a Formula lover.
I hope to see Brabs driving in ALMS again...