14 Tiago Monteiro (R) 18 15 3
15 Ryan Hunter-Reay (R) 16 14 2
16 Patrick Lemarie (R) 8 8 0
17 Joel Camathias (R) 6 6 0
18 Rodolfo Lavin (R) 6 2 4
19 Alex Yoong (R) 4 4 0
20 Bryan Herta 2 2 0
21 Max Papis 1 1 0

Darren has been running and finishing in the top ten in almost every race so far this year (8 out of 10). St. Pete's - P13/Mexico - P7/Long Beach - P8/Brands Hatch - P10/Germany - P6/Milwaukee - P4/Laguna Seca - P18/Portland - P6/Cleveland - P10/Toronto - P8

As the season is progressing Darren's performance is impressing me more and more. He's fast and getting faster, races hard, but clean and he drives smoothly. I am convinced if Manning were driving a Lola chassis and he had a good race engineer (not saying his current engineer isn't adequate), he would be finishing in the top six on a regular basis and once in awhile in the top three. I also hear that he is one hell of a nice guy too.....very down to earth and enjoys his job. I am quickly becoming a Darren Manning fan.

Last edited by Dov; 15 Jul 2003 at 05:44.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:45 (Ref:661592)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For an excellent interview and photos of Darren in action, go to www.rfmsports.com where Jay's excellent interview is now posted. He's a very interesting guy and enthusiastic about CART, and has some thoughtful comparisons between the F1 cars and the CART wagons. (This will be in the newsletter next week.)

The most encouraging thing is that he considers CART to be a career stop, not a whistle stop on the way to some other series.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:49 (Ref:661599)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Darren has been highly impressive, often the best Reyanrd qualifier ahead of Vasser, is well clear of him in the table, and he's been especially impressive on the ovals.

He may be as good as Bourdais, when you consdier the differnece in their cars and teams, and Darren's lack of mistakes, and the testing he missed pre-season.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:59 (Ref:661610)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I am becoming quite a fan of Manning myself. He's always one of the drivers I take note of how he did in pre-race practice and the like. In interviews as well he comes across as quite genuine. All that said he seems to be quite quick in that Reynard as well. Let's hope he can start moving up the grid and onto the podium.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Jul 2003, 11:05 (Ref:661620)   #5
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has he got a drive next? I seem to remember reading that both Walker racing seats for next year had gone to drivers bringing there sponser to the team.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 11:09 (Ref:661627)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He speaks as if he is settled for next season and mentions in the interview that they will be better funded next season.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 12:23 (Ref:661710)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was a good interview, if not a bit chatty. I get the feeling his people are always having to pull him away from place to place, fan to fan as he is not one to turn anyone down. Definately an asset to the series, so I hope he can get a better car/setup or whatever to move up the order.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 15 Jul 2003, 13:55 (Ref:661839)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
manning is quite good, i wish his car would be stronger, because he is carzy when he sees a chance.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 17:55 (Ref:662049)   #9
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there really is a GOD, Darren and Junky will trade seats
Old 15 Jul 2003, 18:53 (Ref:662123)   #10
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's doing well, but come on... Haberfeld is in a Reynard, plus a new team and he's only 9 points behind Darren.

Apart from Vasser, and maybe Moreno (based on history), Darren is beating no-one of serious significance.

Moreno has for the most part been outperfomed by Dominguez and Vasser is with a brand new outfit. With Walker, they at least have data to draw from, and lets not forget a few years ago how competitive Gil de Ferran was with Walker.

Now I'm not trying to put Manning down, I was happy as Larry to see him get a well-deserved break into the series. He deserves to be out there and has done a good job, but nothing more, IMO.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 19:29 (Ref:662169)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Darren is beating everone that has the same car. I'm very confident that if he were in the Newmann-Haas car he'd be doing as well as Junqueira or Bourdais have been.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:16 (Ref:662222)   #12
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be confident of that at all.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:20 (Ref:662226)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 21:28 (Ref:662312)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
He's consistently been the highest Reynard, with no experience at every track (unlike the ASTJ pilots) and no setups to start out with (the old Walker ones from Takagi and such don't work with his driving style at all). I think he's done quite well given that.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 06:13 (Ref:662500)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Darren has been doing a great job. Keeping his nose clean, often bringing the car home for good points, outshining experienced pilots in the same car, dicing with series veterans. Job well done. Walker should be very happy.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 11:21 (Ref:662685)   #16
Liz
Veteran

The former Walker driver Gil de Ferran had an absolute slug of a car when he drove for Walker and set a record for futility with 12 DNFs in one season. I can't imagine that would be of much help to Manning even if their driving styles were similar. The team did a heroic job with the money they had available and they seem to be very pleased to have not only a good driver and hard worker, but a fan-friendly and easy to work with gentleman to help them with the business part of their task.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:37 (Ref:662744)   #17
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep Darren is doing a good job with limited resources and I can verify he is a genuinely good guy having had a brief chat with him at Rockingham last season. He also co-presents a motoring tv show on Brit telly (5th Gear) where his cheerful personality really comes over well. But give him time to learn his trade at Walker it is unrealistic to suggest he's fast tracked to one of the big boys just yet, it would put pressure on him to suceed almost right away and could detract from the learning curve that he's on at the moment. Give him time and he's one for the future.