Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Dec 2016, 12:53 (Ref:3698632)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
How about some orange? IMO the Jagermeister livery looks good on any car, but best of all on 962, Kremer, M3 or Gp5 Capri. Talking of which, it is difficult to find a scheme that didn't look good on the Zak- Sachs, Liqui Moly, D&W, Wurth, Assetto Corsa, Mampe.... Maybe the last was not quite as effective!
Attached Thumbnails
20762.jpg  
Old 27 Dec 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3698636)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Forum has an automatic re-sizer, so image resolution doesn't matter.
Moderators still have discretion to remove any unnecessarily large images. (See FAQs on posting images). Although this was designed to help users on dial-up (in the olden days.... ), there is still no substitute for housekeeping by members. Images are easy to adjust to sensible proportions before posting - so please do it.....
Old 27 Dec 2016, 14:53 (Ref:3698650)   #53
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most memorable liveries to me are the ones that fully "brand" the car. It's why the Falken car works so well, or the Marlboro sponsored cars..you can take away the brand name and still know exactly what brand it is. I think that the 70s and 80s seemed to really get this right.. One of my favorite car / livery combos.

Old 27 Dec 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3698655)   #54
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The most extreme example of this being what I personally think is the best looking prototype ever, the Jaguar XJR-14. You could put whatever you wanted on that car and it would have looked incredible.

I gotta agree with you on this, that car is just spectacular no matter what livery was on it. so in turn, those liveries were great simply because the canvas was so ideal.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 18:48 (Ref:3698851)   #55
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Always liked the Lowe's Fernandez livery.

DHL Penske Porsche RS Spyder

The BP Dyson livery was pretty sweet.

GMG Racing's current dark metallic blue w/ white is quite nice as well.

Rothmans

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 28 Dec 2016 at 19:10.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 19:18 (Ref:3698854)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another favorite logo (on the 74 DN4, it's a very small portion).

Coolest logo ever on some of the coolest cars. Livery is far to simple to be the greatest, but looks damn good, imho.

Growing up, I thought it had something to do with America's "neighborhood watch" program...

Old 28 Dec 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3698862)   #57
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my top 3:

Old 28 Dec 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3698864)   #58
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anything with the Gulf or Martini livery cannot look bad.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3698869)   #59
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Agree mostly.

Thing is, good looking cars can have a bad livery. The Jaguary/TWR/Nissan above in Bud light colors doesn't make the bud light livery good. It's bad. Or at least my agenda says it's bad. Idk, search the board.

How about this: let's not confuse iconic with good. Some liveries are iconic: Martini, Rothmans, etc...Not all iconic liveries are good. Like some of the modern Brumos liveries. White with red and blue blocks....How is that good? Sure it harkens back to some history, but that doesn't make the livery on its own very good.

Either we get objective, or this thread turns into a "post cool pictures of race cars" thread. If that's where we need to go, there's plenty more pictures on google than a random 10/10ths thread....
Old 28 Dec 2016, 21:14 (Ref:3698871)   #60
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Iconic doesn't equal great unless you think the iconic livery is great.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 02:03 (Ref:3698906)   #61
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is no objectivity. Car liveries are a form of art and just like all other art, it is purely subjective.

Iconic liveries don't necessarily have to be good (although that is a nice bonus). They're iconic because any race fan should be able to recognize them right away. Those liveries easily identify the team or sponsor running them. It also doesn't hurt if the livery has a winning history.

My preference is simple liveries with nice colour combinations. And judging by the "Worst Livery" thread, I think most people tend to agree. Most of the liveries in that thread are either too busy, or have horrible colour combinations, or both. But again, it's subjective. There were quite a few liveries in that thread that I liked, while there's a couple here that I think belong in that thread.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3698990)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Martini just makes you drool whatever the car
Old 1 Jan 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3699502)   #63
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The most extreme example of this being what I personally think is the best looking prototype ever, the Jaguar XJR-14. You could put whatever you wanted on that car and it would have looked incredible.

I agree with you. I was fortunate to see this car race at Road Atlanta in two different configurations and liveries.

Here are photos a few years later than its intro as the XJR-14 (which I enjoyed immensely). Some noticeable mods were made but, the basics of the car underneath were so good that it had a long and successful life.

Old 1 Jan 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3699507)   #64
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
A bit of history about the XJR-14 and that period that I personally saw and documented. (requires the ability to run Flash).

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/r...Atlanta_92.swf
Old 1 Jan 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3699594)   #65
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Here are some of my favorites from 2011 and 2012...

Old 4 Jan 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3700121)   #66
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, think "best" apart from the obvious "iconic" liveries is certainly attributed from personal/emotional experience.

To be honest, I wouldn't opt for many of the liveries presented here. In general, i prefer quiter liveries with hued base colors. Also, i am totaly not a fan of huge sponsorships besides i am aware that most of our "icons" exactly have this in common.

However, throwing my hat in the Ring. As one may notice, a heavy contemporary German - racing Influence cannot be denied.

The first GT3 Z4s appeared when i started attending NRing races regularly

Later becoming "glowing in the Dark"
http://www.andyblackmoredesign.com/w...ubai_night.jpg
But it's a sharp car anyway which sported a lot of nice looks
http://lesvoitures.fr/wp-content/upl...cing-Front.jpg

I quite miss the orange works design porsche used for a couple of months

Would suite the current cars as well imo

Very appealing also the 2014 R18. I love the thecnocratic look of it, totaly matches the complexity of the cars.

Current Astons look gorgeous

These two Badboys were already named

There also was a chrome-ish McLaren runnig BES a couple of years ago, but i can't remember who fielded it...

Interestingly, apart from my bias towards cleaner looks, i am a huge fan of art cars of any kind.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3700983)   #67
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

JPS Jaguar XJR at the 1984 Macau Grand Prix.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3701146)   #68
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...just an small contribution. I always liked the Basf decoration.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3708336)   #69
ScoPi
Rookie

ScoPi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it's more of a brand, but Alpine's liveries are gorgeous.

And I bought a Minichamps model of this MP4-12C for my son. It's quite nice.

Old 4 Feb 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3709401)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I quite like the BASF livery too, very underrated
Old 4 Feb 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3709482)   #71
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 7 Feb 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3710696)   #72
Somatosis
Rookie

Australia
Somatosis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason I find myself equally drawn to these complex and simple liveries....
Attached Thumbnails
SauberC9 _88-1.jpg   20c3d21f69f116208eda4693dd73e0a7.jpg   800px-D2_Mannesmann_DTM_Mercedes_W202_Goodwood_2010.jpg  

P26.jpg   download.jpeg   Moffat_83.jpg  

Old 1 Mar 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3715411)   #73
Full Top Max
Rookie

Croatia
HR
Full Top Max should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, definitely influenced by car preferences...but still, I see these as legendary liveries.