Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Nov 2010, 07:05 (Ref:2792456)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Donington Masters festival

All the Masters Classes
Old 31 Aug 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2948794)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well here we are with about 2 days to go and no posts yet. I can't see another active thread either except for one in the marshals forum.

Anyone going?
Anyone racing?

Is the Formula Ford 1600 race a misprint or a first for Masters? (Or have Masters run FF1600 before but without my noticing?)

The garage allocation pdf suggests things are promising in terms of cars in attendance.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2948822)   #3
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well here we are with about 2 days to go and no posts yet. I can't see another active thread either except for one in the marshals forum.

Anyone going?
Anyone racing?

Isn't this where Al would normally comment.......
''sign of the times/ overpriced Masters etc etc''
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 31 Aug 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2948859)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Isn't this where Al would normally comment.......
''sign of the times/ overpriced Masters etc etc''
he's busy changing a clutch....
Old 31 Aug 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2948871)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
.....Is the Formula Ford 1600 race a misprint or a first for Masters? (Or have Masters run FF1600 before but without my noticing?)
Didn't they run FF1600s at their March meeting at Oulton Park, Grant? There were only about 8 entrants for that one if I recall correctly but in fairness I think this was their 'starter' event for FF1600.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2948876)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Didn't they run FF1600s at their March meeting at Oulton Park, Grant? There were only about 8 entrants for that one if I recall correctly but in fairness I think this was their 'starter' event for FF1600.
Ah, true Gary but I don't recall seeing them in any of the lists since then.

Oddly that came up in conversation on Monday, although not central to the discussion, but obviously didn't register with me in terms of a Historic Festival at Donington. Maybe the intention is to develop it for the Top Hat wing of the Series?

It would be good to see a reasonable field out. Fingers crossed.

In some ways I suppose FF1600 was the last bastion of categories in club racing that accepted multiple chassis designs as others were heading down the one (or very few) make chassis route. To that end it may have some potential for support in historic racing to a later cut-off date than many other categories yet still be relatively affordable and interesting through its variety.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2948880)   #7
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Anyone going?
Anyone racing?

Is the Formula Ford 1600 race a misprint or a first for Masters? (Or have Masters run FF1600 before but without my noticing?)

The garage allocation pdf suggests things are promising in terms of cars in attendance.

I am taking:

the March 721 to race in GPM
the DRW in the pre 66 sports car bash
my 7 year old son
my brother in law to share the DRW
and hopefully some German cookies

Rudolf
Old 31 Aug 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2948941)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
FF1600s also featured at their Brands meeting. A further race was scheduled for the cancelled Mallory meeting.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2948951)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
FF1600s also featured at their Brands meeting. A further race was scheduled for the cancelled Mallory meeting.
Ah ha! Excellent. Thanks for the update - information that had passed me by it seems.

In that case can we hope for a good grid for Donington?
Old 31 Aug 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2948966)   #10
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be in Sports Racing Masters race - McLaren now back together after breaking stub axle (and losing a wheel..!) at Oulton.
Marcus
Old 31 Aug 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2948970)   #11
Moosehead
Veteran

You know I'd be interested in spectating but without a full entry list I can only presume that overall numbers will be low judging by their recent meetings and the proximity to Goodwood and Spa events. So, I reckon I'll be saving me money and staying at home :-(
Old 1 Sep 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2949237)   #12
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am begining to wonder if Masters is one series of races too many in what is now a very crowded historic season.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2949399)   #13
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a provision entry list available on the Masters website.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2949405)   #14
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always found the Masters events to be damp squibs. They promise much but often have small grids and a fair number of rather slow drivers in cars that are way above their potential.
The entry fees are way to high and it may well be that even the more affluent racers are cutting back and looking for better value and less costly hospitality.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2949452)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
There is a provision entry list available on the Masters website.
Better grids than expected, pity the two I'm most interested in are on separate days and have the fullest entries - typical
Old 1 Sep 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2949469)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
I have always found the Masters events to be damp squibs. They promise much but often have small grids and a fair number of rather slow drivers in cars that are way above their potential.
The entry fees are way to high and it may well be that even the more affluent racers are cutting back and looking for better value and less costly hospitality.

do you speak from experience?
Old 1 Sep 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2949476)   #17
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well in respect that as a spectator many of their meetings are quite poor as a spectacle and as a competitor I've not done any of their events as their entry fees are so much more than simliar races at the same circuits.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2949505)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mr Forrester, you are of course entitled to your opinion- but in mine, what a load of ********! (Cue autocensor.....)
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2949520)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree Mike,no doubt the likes of Mr Hadfield etal would as well.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2949530)   #20
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list looks respectable
Old 1 Sep 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2949561)   #21
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That seems to be a decent line up of cars & drivers so I'm looking forward to this weekend as a spectator.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2949736)   #22
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
37 Entries for Pre 66 Touring.
Nuff said.
Although, you are right, I do find my Mini a tad spicy sometimes...
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2949747)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Devereux View Post
I do find my Mini a tad spicy sometimes...

You could always take a couple of plug leads off, Christian.

Have fun, everyone. Sorry not to be joining you!
Old 2 Sep 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2949764)   #24
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

You could always take a couple of plug leads off, Christian.

Have fun, everyone. Sorry not to be joining you!
Sorry to hear you wont be joining us Mr Bell

Christian....dont be late for the Drivers Briefings now will you
Old 2 Sep 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2949824)   #25
Christian Devereux
Rookie

United Kingdom
London W4
Christian Devereux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Christian....dont be late for the Drivers Briefings now will you
I thought I'd already been to that at Oulton Park....
What is this one, a refresher?