Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Sep 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2949339)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Cadwell Park Saturday 3rd Sept Classic Touring Car Racing

All of the club's championships are running including the Pre-66's. I will be giving the Camaro IROC-Z a run out in 93's. I dont give a jot where I finish its more important to me that the car is refurbished as it was originally in the States. May just have to make drivers door openable and have a bit of perspex as I cant do climbing through the ruddy windows E Har style!
Old 1 Sep 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2949381)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ops that last bit was not for this thread! Duh.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2949383)   #3
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in orange for this meeting, thoroughly looking forward to the day, fingers crossed for good weather
Old 1 Sep 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2949398)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Come and say hello Joyce I missed you at Mallory. I will have my big nasty old black car with me, this is the third time I have tried to race here and never got further than qually, fingers crossed.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2949455)   #5
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Come and say hello Joyce I missed you at Mallory. I will have my big nasty old black car with me, this is the third time I have tried to race here and never got further than qually, fingers crossed.
I'll make sure to get some photos of it moving under its own power then Al Great to see it when it does come out to play.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2949459)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I should have said not started/finished a race in this car but have in others
Old 3 Sep 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2950277)   #7
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good Luck Al.

Can't be there, have to work.
Good luck to Richard Spriggs too, he's carrying an old original "SWISH" sticker on his Anglia today. Hope it brings you luck Buddy.
Old 3 Sep 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2950279)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just had a look at the timing. Al made it past qualifying.
Old 3 Sep 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2950291)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just had a look at the timing. Al made it past qualifying.
But he looked to be putting out a bit of smoke!
Old 3 Sep 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2950297)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bugger!
Old 3 Sep 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2950305)   #11
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bugger!
Didnt start the race!
Old 3 Sep 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2950318)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'll say it again. Bugger
Old 3 Sep 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2950321)   #13
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'll say it again. Bugger
Me to double Bugger!!
Old 3 Sep 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2950330)   #14
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooooh, he's not gonna be a happy chappy after all the work he's just put into that car.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Sep 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2950374)   #15
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It did look (and sound) fabulous going round though!
Old 3 Sep 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2950427)   #16
medius
Veteran

England
My pics now on Facebook. If you see or know anyone, tag them

Paddock: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...a1d0eab&type=1

Track: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6513be0&type=1

Oh, and its my birthday soon so if anyone wants to buy me a DSLR, I'll be grateful
Old 3 Sep 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2950439)   #17
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A nice variety of photos medius

Twas a good day bar the barrier incident
Old 4 Sep 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2950617)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that was a better meeting that I had expected, and anyway, Cadwell is just such a beautiful circuit, simply to be there is enough. Was worried about the size of some of the grids when I saw the race programme, but there were quite a few late entrants which brought most of the grids up to the 'passed muster' stage, and only the Classic Formula Ford (1600s) had a grid that numerically was well below par, but even that provided decent dicing for 2nd place.

As for Al's beastie, it nearly gave me a heart attack because I and one young lad had to push it, with Al in it, uphill into the paddock when it stalled and couldn't be restarted because the engine was too hot. Took me half an hour to recover my breath and my ribs ache this morning! Really sorry that the car didn't turn out for the race but I got a cheery wave from Al as he left the circuit. I also had a good long chat with Stuart Tilley who I hadn't seen for over a year.

So, overall, a good day with some good cars and good racing in the best setting of any race track in the UK that I've been to. Hope to put some pics up later on.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2950624)   #19
dulon
Rookie

Malta
Kent
dulon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The single seater in the paddock is my Dulon and is going to need a fair bit of work over the next few weeks if its to return for Oulton Park.
Your cars are certainly well turned out and attract alot of attention, look forward to seeing you all again once the aches have passed.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2950625)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I was thrown off the grid by a somewhat (IMHO) or zealous start marshall for dropping a bit of powersteering fluid, I tried to explain the reservior was now empty and it wouldnt leak once out on the circuit (it was what had been smoking before and I tried to fix after loosing power steering but made it worse) but they wouldnt listen. I admit I lost it abit and swore a bit but more in frustration and for that I appologise and not directly at them as such but someone saw fit to report me for this minor indescretion and got me excluded from the meeting and two points on my licence. Thanks guys I never realised you were such sensitive souls if I had threatened you with a smack in the mouth fair enough but it was shear frustrationin particular, sorry I am not Mr. Supercool but thats it.

As for the car, wow what can I say, transformed is a good start. She felt racey and competitive and required a change in driving style and with a few more laps and power steering I recon I would have been on par with Dave Scriven's Supra Turbo which was my goal. I found I could go far deeper into a bend before braking as it would simply grip when I turned in and I also can now throw the tail out with a bit of throttle something that would have previously resluted in wheel spin. Still needs a bit of fine tuning in the set up as felt a tad bouncy but what a difference!
Old 4 Sep 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2950630)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
He's not a racing driver, he's a very naughty boy!
Old 4 Sep 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2950639)   #22
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Weyman you had left a reasonable amount of fluid in the paddock. From my understanding it was a Scrutineer who was not happy with your car. Whilst I am sorry you didn't break you duck, I see no reason to swear at people who are doing there job.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2950648)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
As for Al's beastie, it nearly gave me a heart attack because I and one young lad had to push it, with Al in it, uphill into the paddock when it stalled and couldn't be restarted because the engine was too hot. Took me half an hour to recover my breath and my ribs ache this morning!

Sorry for laughing John- but I can just picture the scene!
Old 4 Sep 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2950653)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver View Post
Mr Weyman you had left a reasonable amount of fluid in the paddock.
Good job he didn't leave an unreasonable amount of fluid in the paddock then.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2950662)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Flagwaver if you guys would listen to me I told you I knew exactly what it and had only just filled the reservior and the thing only holds half a pint of fluid and by the time I line up that was it it had already gone which I appologise for, if you had just let me do one lap and seen how it went and if still dropping oil flagged me in that would be fair enough but you wouldnt you take my word for it I know the car and there is absolutely NO WAY I would have taken it out if that oil was coming from the engine as those things cost big money. I knew the fluid had gone as the power steering stopped working but it is OK for me to drive it like that I wouldnt have risked anyones safety. Thats why I was angry and somewhat immaturely swearing but it was the fact I knew what the problem was and it would have cleared up immediately but there was no telling anyone and I suspected just maybe it was because someone else from the club had dropped oil all round the circuit and you guys lost your lunch break and I was the whipping boy. As for reporting me, well what can I say. I had a camera in the car maybe I will youtube it

John sorry you came along at the wrong time to push me hope you are not feeling too sore and thanks for the help.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 4 Sep 2011 at 11:54.