Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Dec 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3872675)   #926
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Smarty pants...

jimclark
Old 27 Dec 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3872688)   #927
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
You know what i just realized? This is an IMSA thread and we've been talking about weights on new WEC cars. Lets try to get back to the topic.
Old 27 Dec 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3872701)   #928
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Sorry, can we add a whisky glass as beer is not strong enough for IMSA reading?
Old 27 Dec 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3872704)   #929
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
(A,B & C) I have been speaking of all things being constant 'cept for weight (mass). (curiosity only...when have you participated ?)

Since we've been told to try and get back on topic... check PM.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 03:18 (Ref:3872749)   #930
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll try to change my point of view about Companc this year and follow better his actions on track. Isn't his first year and it looks like their money don't drive the car.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 05:08 (Ref:3872752)   #931
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Who is everyone's favorite for the D24? I'm thinking an unlikely winner will emerge in the Mazda. I'm going out on a limb and picking them. They are going to be strong this coming year I think. The bop currently favors them and apparently they did some aero modifications on top of the new(ish) engine. I don't think they are championship favorites or anything but Daytona is going to be a good track for them imo.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3872767)   #932
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, once I realized we had gone adrift I figured ... we are all pretty loosely moored anyway, why not run with it?

I am, waiting until the Daytona Sandbag Festival before I make any predictions about the Rolex.

I hear Mazda wants 9300 rpm from the engine that was unreliable at a lower limit?

I hate to say it, but a bet on Cadillac is pretty safe. We'll see how Core takes to the Nissan, but, brand-new (to them) car and constantly changing race conditions?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3872783)   #933
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual I expect both AXR cadillacs as favourite and WTR with their killer line-up favourite as well. Don't think juncons and JDC will be soon competitive as AXR/WTR because of poor experience with their new guns; same reason I don't expect core to be competitive as it was last season with their new ligier-nissan. The only realistic threath for AXR/WTR cadillacs could be penske acura's if they have finally found out how to put all togheter.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3872786)   #934
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Who is everyone's favorite for the D24? I'm thinking an unlikely winner will emerge in the Mazda. I'm going out on a limb and picking them. They are going to be strong this coming year I think. The bop currently favors them and apparently they did some aero modifications on top of the new(ish) engine. I don't think they are championship favorites or anything but Daytona is going to be a good track for them imo.
While I want to agree with you, I worry too much about the possibility of the ongoing development of the engine making a small error that takes them out late in the game.

If we get a surprise winner, I think it'll be one of the new Cadillac teams, but I'm actually gonna go with CORE as my dark horse pick since they always seem able to punch above their weight, and put my money(figuratively since I don't gamble) on the WTR Cadillac. They'll be keen to bounce back quickly from a decidedly meh(by their standards) 2018 and it'll show here.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3872796)   #935
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
The only realistic threath for AXR/WTR cadillacs could be penske acura's if they have finally found out how to put all togheter.
If the Penske Acura team ever starts performing like a Penske team, they will be as good as any Cadillac team. They have been pretty disappointing so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
... I'm actually gonna go with CORE as my dark horse pick since they always seem able to punch above their weight ...
Their Drivers always perform surprisingly well, and no one can fault the crew or engineers ... but the car is So new to them. AXR only has to do what they have done for years, but Core has to adapt to 24 hours of changing track conditions in a car they have never run in any of those conditions.

I Hope Core wins ... I have always liked the team---and I am tired of Cadillacs. Neither Juncos nor JDC (IMO) has the team to match the car, I don't think.

I'd pick WTR as my favorite Cadillac team (not the most likely to win) but after last season ... I don't know what went wrong and I am not sure anything didn't. They certainly know how to win ...

Sad to see Spirit of Failing at Daytona fade away ..... Way more than made up for by seeing Risi come back. it's just not the ALMS without them.

I'd pick Risi in GTLM on pure sentiment .. . I wonder which car will wreck them this time?

GTD ... throw a dart and see where it lands ... who knows? Paul Miller and the Acuras have to be favorites .... Monoplast by Land also (my pick as long as they don't "outsmart" the rules again.)

WRT though .... not sure who will be driving or crewing for them, but they are monstrous in Blancpain.

Really, a total toss-up.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3872798)   #936
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Early picks of course. Could change after Roar. GTLM I will go with the #91 Porsche 911 RSR of Mackoweiki/Tandy/Pilet. It must be said thatif they go retro livery I hope it is Champion and Rohr liveries. Otherwise I like the current factory livery very much. Their best one. Suits this car big time.

GTD is the toughest pick of course. For now I'll go with the#33 Riley Mercedes. They always seem to have a driver line up who can keep their heads on and just keep the car on the lead lap for Jerome Bleekomolen to go for the win in the last hour.

Prototype pick is the #7 Acura. I think that is CastroNeves/R Taylor/A Rossi

The grid size of 47 cars is perfect. I expect few safety car periods once more.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3872800)   #937
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Yeah, once I realized we had gone adrift I figured ... we are all pretty loosely moored anyway, why not run with it?

I am, waiting until the Daytona Sandbag Festival before I make any predictions about the Rolex.

I hear Mazda wants 9300 rpm from the engine that was unreliable at a lower limit?

I hate to say it, but a bet on Cadillac is pretty safe. We'll see how Core takes to the Nissan, but, brand-new (to them) car and constantly changing race conditions?
Penske Acura will be there no doubt about it.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3872801)   #938
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
If the Penske Acura team ever starts performing like a Penske team, they will be as good as any Cadillac team. They have been pretty disappointing so far.
Their Drivers always perform surprisingly well, and no one can fault the crew or engineers ... but the car is So new to them. AXR only has to do what they have done for years, but Core has to adapt to 24 hours of changing track conditions in a car they have never run in any of those conditions.

I Hope Core wins ... I have always liked the team---and I am tired of Cadillacs. Neither Juncos nor JDC (IMO) has the team to match the car, I don't think.

I'd pick WTR as my favorite Cadillac team (not the most likely to win) but after last season ... I don't know what went wrong and I am not sure anything didn't. They certainly know how to win ...

Sad to see Spirit of Failing at Daytona fade away ..... Way more than made up for by seeing Risi come back. it's just not the ALMS without them.

I'd pick Risi in GTLM on pure sentiment .. . I wonder which car will wreck them this time?

GTD ... throw a dart and see where it lands ... who knows? Paul Miller and the Acuras have to be favorites .... Monoplast by Land also (my pick as long as they don't "outsmart" the rules again.)

WRT though .... not sure who will be driving or crewing for them, but they are monstrous in Blancpain.

Really, a total toss-up.

Risi Ferrari will be more competitive than at Road Atlanta for sure. Expect an AF Corse driver line up. Will probably feel like your watching the #51 WEC car!
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3872806)   #939
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More driver news, the new CAT sponsored Acura with the all female lineup will be without the projects leader - Heinricher. She has a back injury and will be replaced by Christina Nielsen for Daytona. Pretty strong lineup in that car with Legge, Beatriz, and De Silverstro.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...-for-rolex-24/
Old 28 Dec 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3872819)   #940
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
More driver news, the new CAT sponsored Acura with the all female lineup will be without the projects leader - Heinricher. She has a back injury and will be replaced by Christina Nielsen for Daytona. Pretty strong lineup in that car with Legge, Beatriz, and De Silverstro.

This car can certainly contend for victory for sure now. Don't know much about Ms. Heinricher. But got to think Nielsen is a step up.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3872821)   #941
MaskedRacer
Veteran

So the entry list article for Daytona said that 37 of the 47 cars are full season. It did not specify who is among the ten cars that are not but I was able to break it down to these guys:

18 Oreca 07 Dragonspeed
81 Oreca 07 Dragonspeed
62 Risi Ferrari 488
11 Grasser Lamborghini
540 Black Swan Porsche 911
51 Spirit of Race Ferrari 488
29 Land Audi R8
13 Italia Ferrari 488
46 Ebimotors Lamborghini
99 Herberth/NGT Porsche 911

Which of these cars do you think WILL NOT be at Sebring
Old 28 Dec 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3872832)   #942
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe because before 2017 season, WTR team was the first to ever test the cadillac dpi or mostly because last year, has been assisted by dallara engineers all season long?
Not to mention Ricky Taylor best season ever.

Twist of fate, they had a not so great 2018 season, but; thanks to 0 points marked by #5 AXR at laguna seca; managed to finish 3rd -7 points far by the champ winner #31; if WTR boss didn't retire the car at daytona because of continental unreliable tires, they would have finished the race in top10 for sure and got those missing points for the glory

Last edited by canaglia; 28 Dec 2018 at 16:09.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3872834)   #943
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
So the entry list article for Daytona said that 37 of the 47 cars are full season. It did not specify who is among the ten cars that are not but I was able to break it down to these guys:

18 Oreca 07 Dragonspeed
81 Oreca 07 Dragonspeed
62 Risi Ferrari 488
11 Grasser Lamborghini
540 Black Swan Porsche 911
51 Spirit of Race Ferrari 488
29 Land Audi R8
13 Italia Ferrari 488
46 Ebimotors Lamborghini
99 Herberth/NGT Porsche 911

Which of these cars do you think WILL NOT be at Sebring

Not to demoralize, but IMSA is sure to have 37 full season cars.... on december....

most of gtd teams can miss a pair of races for a lot of reasons (lack of budget, car crash, paying drivers not funding anymore etc...) or drop the series at once. Lmp2 class entries don't look so stable even.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3872839)   #944
brentrh
Rookie

United States
Florida
brentrh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disappointed with short entry list for LMP2. Strong field for DPI eager to see how the Roar goes have some favorite drivers and teams but then their is sandbagging IMSA has made it more difficult but it still goes on. 80 degrees here In Deltona FL today for
the Roar looks like mid 60's hopeful it will be warmer but it is Rolex 24 so expect it to be cold, hot and rain have all the gear so it will be fun as always
Old 28 Dec 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3872847)   #945
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Not to demoralize, but IMSA is sure to have 37 full season cars.... on december....

most of gtd teams can miss a pair of races for a lot of reasons (lack of budget, car crash, paying drivers not funding anymore etc...) or drop the series at once. Lmp2 class entries don't look so stable even.
Two responses to this.

1) Got to take into account sprint cup only entries which there will be several. They still have until April/May to finalize a program. That is still incomplete

2) LMP2 in IMSA is irrelevant. Nobody cares.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3872850)   #946
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Their Drivers always perform surprisingly well, and no one can fault the crew or engineers ... but the car is So new to them.
So was the T/A Javelin in '70. Even with Revson and Donohue, 'first year no Championship. '71 & 72 the team cleaned up. Then AMC pulled the plug.
But, that was before BoPing.
'Had a chance at Sebring in '08 to briefly talk to Rogere and he detested what IRL, NASCAR and GARRA had done to Indy car, stock car, and sports car racing and saw it coming throughout the racing world. (Voila, here we are...)
Maybe it's his turn to get fixed...errr...I mean BoPed...to the front.
Guar-own-teed he doesn't like it. (the moola, of course; the racing, no)

jimclark
Old 28 Dec 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3872865)   #947
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Sounds like that means Christina is on the sidelines for the GTD season unless she can get a sprint program together though. Tough loss as she is a consistent Silver driver and 2-time champ
Old 28 Dec 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3872874)   #948
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So was the T/A Javelin in '70. Even with Revson and Donohue, 'first year no Championship. '71 & 72 the team cleaned up. Then AMC pulled the plug.
But, that was before BoPing.
'Had a chance at Sebring in '08 to briefly talk to Rogere and he detested what IRL, NASCAR and GARRA had done to Indy car, stock car, and sports car racing and saw it coming throughout the racing world. (Voila, here we are...)
Guar-own-teed he doesn't like it. (the moola, of course; the racing, no)
You can't be real person. There is no way anyone would waste this much time year after years on multiple forums posting the same tired comments.

Don't forget your box of Kleenex for Daytona
Old 28 Dec 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3872878)   #949
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
From that, one would expect Core not to win then?

I recall, dimly the AMC javelin. You really reached deep to pull out that one.
Quote:
Had a chance at Sebring in '08 to briefly talk to Rogere and he detested what IRL, NASCAR and GARRA had done to Indy car, stock car, and sports car racing and saw it coming throughout the racing world. (Voila, here we are...)
Well .... he has always had cubic dollars, and when that stopped being an advantage, of course he was upset ...

And the Rolex Sports Car Series crippled his Porsches, some say in order to keep Hurley Heywood from winning more races---they gave Hurley's Porsche DP the Rolex, stifled the car all season making sure that the winner said hi to his family at home (Actually Gainsco won the title, but Gainsco had the decency to use a "made in USA" motor) .... and then let Hurley win the last race of the season in his last drive in the Rolex Series, just as a favor.

Penske's Porsches got axed almost incidentally ... and still did well, despite losing a gear and revs and all the other crap GARRA threw at Porsche. some say. No wonder Penske hated GARRA.

Penske also used to have amazing professionalism and organization, which I think has been slipping a little as the his clock ticks past 80. I think if the Captain had been more firmly at the helm, we'd have seen Acura atop the podium already [/QUOTE]

Quote:
I don't think Acura got bad BoP last year ... not sure what it could get this year ... as I recall, rear tire wear, cowboy driving, and niggling errors hurt them in 2018.

Core also ... no amount of BoP will make up for not having a book of suspension settings for differing track conditions ...

However .... Here is something I had not taken into account ... Everyone will be on real tires for a change---tires which have grip and fall off, instead of performing poorly all stint long. How much tire testing each team has done will play a role perhaps ... some of the big guns might lose a little edge ... as I recall WTR always ran different suspension settings than AXR, and who knows how much information Cadillac and Michelin are sharing?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3872883)   #950
canaglia
Veteran

as far I can remember, acura got only some fuel tank cut, nothing special also because actually fuel tank cut/add are set to give everyone the same stint lenght.
By now acura got some extra boost.
Anyway agree, the one who better and sooner will adapt to michelin will get the best and short term benefits.

Any news about what kind of compound michelin will supply?
all continental tires compounds were hard as stone