Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Jul 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2506326)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone Classic

Ages since I've been to watch a race meeting, but this should be a good event.

Lots of cool racing, good access, club displays, an historic run, an autojumble and an auction. And some concerts.

Who is going and what are you looking forward to seeing?

The bands on aren't my cup of tea (bands are, but not those ones). Probably the clubs, paddock and autojumble on Friday. I'm doing the historic run on Saturday and the auction. Sunday and inbetween - the racing!

FYI: www.silverstoneclassic.com/
Old 22 Jul 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2506355)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there - marshalling in the pits i think
Old 22 Jul 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2506356)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adam, if you're about I will have to see if I can find you mate!

Will be around the centre somewhere I think.

But seriously ladies and gents, if you can afford the gate on this, it's a wonderful event to go to. I cannot recommend it enough.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2506360)   #4
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Spectator's view)

For the first time in many years I'm giving this meeting a miss - I even went to Rockingham when they moved the Coys festival there.

Last year advance tickets were something like £40 for a 3 day ticket plus £2 (?) handling fee - this year they are after £79 for 3 days or £70 for 2 days plus around £6 for handling (although this now seems to include the concert tickets which were extra last time I looked) and this is before you add on the cost of travel, accommodation & a programme/race card.

As for the races, most of the entrants I could see at an HSCC, Masters or similar meeting (O.K. not on the GP Circuit 'though) and and they seem to have the same basic races every year but with a different "headline" race - this year I thought it was supposed to be the Touring cars (whatever the argument may be about mid '90s cars in a Historic meeting) but very few seem to have entered.

This year I will be watching the Classic on Motors TV, but hope to be back on the spectator banking next year if the organisers review the pricing.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 00:00 (Ref:2506372)   #5
Mulsanne Bleu
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Mulsanne Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to marshal there since I have never done Silverstone before but who do I need to ask
Old 23 Jul 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2506374)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that is something that needs adressing. How does this fare with WoodGood?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2506433)   #7
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLLRNNN View Post
I would love to marshal there since I have never done Silverstone before but who do I need to ask
If you look on the marshals forum at the thread titled Silverstone Historic details are there. PM Fay and she will try and sort out although very short notice.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2506480)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got a stand there, come to the vending area stand 23......I'm on my own Friday so may need you to be security guard while I take a comfort break :-)
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2506553)   #9
banbury
Rookie

banbury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ve got 2 drivers passes from a friend who is in the Woodcote Trophy(TR2) so I`ll be there Sat & Sun.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2506572)   #10
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ill be there tomorrow, saturday and sunday as media, looking forward to it, its my first time at the classic and i really cant wait to see the group C prototypes hurtling around the 'stone, should be great fun!
Old 26 Jul 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2508405)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a spectator who considered going but didn't, I find the £79 price for a weekend ticket obscene.

I presume the massive hike is to pay artist fees for the awful 'music' on offer. That should be an opt-in extra (for those who like their bland manufactured pop tripe and rock dinosaurs).
Old 26 Jul 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2508695)   #12
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Santana were awesome! Couple of moans;
The food is a too pricey and the toilets are poor however I am spoiled by Brands being my local circuit and the food is good value and the toilets are excellant.

We camped at the Whittlebury campsite which has changed hands and is nowhere near the standards it was. We won't be back.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2508871)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I agree the ticket price was excessive. I went to the two-day Masters event at Brands earlier this year, saw much the same races and paid half the admission price.

Wasn't interested in going to either concert. Interestingly as I was leaving on Friday there was a steady stream of young girls coming in, presumably only there for the concert.

Could have been due to the weather forecast but crowd numbers on Sunday were definitely down compared to Saturday. Even some of the car club stands on the infield looks a little quiet.

On Saturday I was a little surprised by the music during the bike stunt/drag demo. The CD obviously came with a 'parental advisory' sticker over the lyrics. Didn't bother me personally but seemed an odd choice given the family audience.

Good event but at that price I'll think twice about going back next year.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2511434)   #14
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the whole meeting was disapointing. The races were poor with far to many double header races, this meant lots of non startersand break downs in the second races, Races were far too long for cars that were not really fast enough for the GP circuit.
Some grids, Super Tourers, Group C and Mini's were too small, and to top it all too many "continuation cars", these are not historic!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 12:55 (Ref:2511649)   #15
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the positive side I thought most of the grids were fine (I assume the Minis and DL Tourers were one offs). Some iconic and rare cars both on track and parked up around the infield. The access to the garages and paddocks was excellent and I liked the tented garages. The Jaguar collection was a gem which I returned to several times. There were still a few race cars in odd places, especially in the car parks by the petrol station and paddock bite but it made the experience all the better when you happened onto another classic car.
The racing was, as usual, top drawer and there was some very committed drives. I love the pre 63 field and race, more like that please.

On the minus side, the event lacked a focal point and needs a Scarf and Goggles type of venue at it's centre. I was disappointed that the Bus service around the circuit had been dropped as that has proved very useful in the past couple of years. Not sure what was the point of the Harleys and I'm glad the promoters dropped the stupid idea of charging £50-100 for each evenings gigs...I doubt the crowd would have been in 3 figures at those prices.

As to the ticket prices, after the crowds on Sunday, someone needs to rethink them.
Goodwood it certainly is not.

I do hope Silverstone actually talk to the racing side and spectators as to what both groups want rather than just appoint different promoters in the hope of greater profits/smaller loses, whichever the 2009 event produced.

A good event from this spectators view but it could be so much better.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2511973)   #16
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am inclined to agree with rbs in that some of the races were overly long, which when combined with a relatively small grid meant that some races failed to deliver much in the way of entertainment, such as the Minis and Group C races.

However, on a positive note there were a number of races, which I very much enjoyed (which outnumbered the races mentioned above), most notably the BRDC 500, the Pre '63 GT race, the World Sportscar Masters and the Gentlemen Drivers GTs.

On the subject of modern creations racing, I did find listing of Harvey Death's Mini in the programme as being a 1963 car as being a bit fanciful.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2512175)   #17
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post

On the subject of modern creations racing, I did find listing of Harvey Death's Mini in the programme as being a 1963 car as being a bit fanciful.
Along with several Lola T70's and Chevron B16's, why are they not listed as 2006/7/8/9 cars.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2512328)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems that no matter what they do and how many different promo=ters they get in that will never be able tio turn this event around.

People SIMPLY will never pay that sort of money to watch an average race meeting, when you look at it it is one of the most expensive meetings of the year in monetary terms, and that is if you watch bikes aswell. Much like Goodwood it is pricing itself out of the market from "normal" people like me.

Greed is a factor, as is poor market research. Why do we go to events like this? Is it to watch bands? No. Is it to watch the racing? Maybe but not always. Is it to see and hear the cars of yesteryear, Obviously. Is it to go in with our club car and chunter about rubbish all day, yes. Is it to buy obscenely priced merchandise, food and auctions cars, No

It is about a Goodwood style meeting where the cars are driven not ponced about in which is what annoys me about Goodwood, and the whole thing is not dressed to be more than it really is as Goodwood is. That event embarrasses me now, Why on earth should Arsene Wenger or Fonda be there? Are they motorsport heroes!! No

If the Classic could pull in some of those cars and people then it would be there. Stop wasting money on things the fans dont want and invest it in getting a few decent cars there that people want to see.

For myself, I went for three years running with my Dad, and before that we were Goodwood fans before they priced us out and turned the whole event into a sort of red carpet for Brietling owners.

We loved the racing, the fact you could get up close and the awful tweediness!! But now at that expense, sorry guys but no way.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2512486)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go along with those sentiments Chunder. I think Silverstone Circuits Ltd are missing the marketing opportunity with the classic.Goodwood,as we know it,is not "for the Masse's" even more so these days.
However,IF Silverstone were to re-invent the Classic to how it was back in the Christies days when there was a very good chance that ALL of the races would be good to watch,gate prices were reasonable,if a little more expensive than "the norm". Something like a £50,00 charge for a two day pass for a family of four would,I think be a more realistic charge.The Burger Stall's need to be told about thier charges,five and a half quid for a Burger? get real,drop your prices and sell more!. The Classic could be,should be the best Historic Event in the country,leave GW for those who want it!!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2512643)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed Terence, I often get criticised for my comments on here and probly rightly so, but this event could be so well done

Goodwood are really just pushing the envelope as far as they can entry fee wise, it stopped being an event I could justify going to a long time ago, just like the British GP and many otehr high profile events that are only raised because the promoters know they can get away with charging what they want.

it's exorbitant to think that the biggest events are the dearest to get into!! Shows how dumb and stupid punters are and how much they need to seen by the Brietling crowd

The Classic could and should be great, it's only a week or so after, surely cant be hard to get a few of those cars to stay around?

Otherwsie and happily just go along to normal HSCC or even better VSCC meets, just as good without the tawdry hangers on
Old 31 Jul 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2512669)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely,The worst thing that Silverstone ever did was loose out to GW.They should have fought tooth and nail to keep what was the ultimate Historic event in Europe.Now GW are allowing all sorts of hot-rod's in and helping wreck Historic Racing,one of the reasons I am so against the event!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2512751)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well my reasons for not liking Goodwood are more than just what is there

I ahve always liked the idea of the event and March is able to get some amazing things there, that part is good

What I hate is the soght of these glorious cars being run up the hill on tickover! Not being used. I understand the need for looking after them, but when you remember how cool it was that Rod Millen, Heidfeld and many others really atack the hill its a shame when so many nonce about.

Prices are ridiculous, and the whole thing stinks of money and the old boys club. I am not naieve and realise historics os often like this, but come on!

Silverstone is a pure meeting and the best races I ahve seen there are the VSCC ones, those guys being pure enthusiasts rather than rich blokes in a club are really going for it and are amazing to watch

What you need is a few Merc's, Auto unions and BRM's in there and that would be amazing, but highly unlikely, theya re worth too much sadly
Old 31 Jul 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2512847)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
vague general comment

It is nothing to do with Silverstone or Goodwood. There are just some people involved, from both ends of the spectrum, who don't get it.

Both events rock and are, thankfully, slightly different. Lets not get all superior.