Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Aug 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3922339)   #2311
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!
When I raced, I never really worried too much about how the car looked; I always felt that it was more important how quickly it went.

However, the girlfriend of a clubmans' car, a Lotus 7 if I remember well, always made sure that after she had finished making his car spick and span, would come over to my car and give it a good polish. The girlfriend, who later married the driver, used to work at a restaurant/coffee bar that I helped manage so I actually met her before they got together.

We seemed to always be at the same meetings, and she always made a point of inspecting the car before I went to the collection area, and would check that all the fasteners were properly closed up, and that everything externally was ship-shape. A bit of a talisman, if you like. Of course, on one of the rare times that she wasn't around, nobody checked the car before I went out to practice, and so nobody noticed that the bonnet fasteners were undone. Result, one fibreglass bonnet went flying, luckily without damage to either the bonnet or the car.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3922341)   #2312
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
....... Wanted a pb of course, but just could not brave it enough, this car needs a driver 1/2 my age!......
I don't buy that; I believe in the old saying 'old people are brave and dangerous as they have less to lose' - you just need to get your head in the right place. Maybe a decent sports psycho would help....
Old 11 Aug 2019, 22:36 (Ref:3922345)   #2313
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah!
The mind set of the driver on the day, on the start line has more effect than bhp on the outcome!
What I didn't realise was I was only a few 1/10's slower than the fearsome Fiesta of Mike Manning.
That might have given me the incentive, where I had surrendered to last just after the finals arrived.

Maybe I don't take it seriously enough, but I do feel a bit disappointed not to have gone quicker today in such ideal conditions.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3923080)   #2314
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About 30 years ago this little car was featured in Motorsport Express with the pink Karmann Ghia body on/Alan Humberstone and this week it is in the same rag, but in current hill climb form.
Fame but no fortune...
Old 29 Aug 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3924674)   #2315
911thillclimber
Veteran

For the first time ever I've cancelled my entry to Prescott, in fact, never cancelled an entry in 29 years old competing.
Some family issues take priority...
Thus, the last hill will be my favourite, Loton Park, my Clubs own track at the end of September.
There is still a good chance I will be able to get 2nd in class with just 3 in the class.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3928104)   #2316
911thillclimber
Veteran

At long last, my entry to the last Hill climb at Loton Park has been confirmed.
Just 3 in the class, might get a few points, will finish second in a 3 car class in the Championship.

Wife should be ok to supervise but not to do much but the coffee runs.
Could be a whole lot worse, so all good.

www.hdlcc.com
Old 16 Sep 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3928341)   #2317
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure I can speak on behalf of all 10/10 followers in wishing Mrs 911hc a speedy recovery.
Good luck for the weekend...
Old 16 Sep 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3928373)   #2318
911thillclimber
Veteran

Thank you David for the kind words.
We are waiting to see the consultant this week to find out the next steps to take.
These things come along, and it makes you think of making the most of what you have.
It oddly brings into focus what an interest like hill climbing brings to your life and the friendships that are deeper than you thought.

We will be at Loton even if last in class is the outcome!
Old 18 Sep 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3928656)   #2319
A.C.Clegg
Rookie

A.C.Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear news. Hope everything works out ok for you both.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3929116)   #2320
911thillclimber
Veteran

Back from the hospital today and good news and more test results awaited until a decision on post-op treatment can be tailored (as the consultant phrased it).
Nothing has spread so that is the great news, and the surgeon got the bast@rd.
Mrs 911HC in good spirits (tough old bird).
1st chapter finished, next one just opening, 3rd one will see it done and dusted.
She is looking forward to Loton hill climb and the last Scramble down at Bicester plus a few nights away in north Yorkshire.

We fancy a Moby Dick and peas with chips looking at the grey North Sea!

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Old 20 Sep 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3929124)   #2321
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Good news is always welcome
Enjoy what promises to be the last day of summer on Saturday, it's all downhill til Christmas from here
Old 26 Sep 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3930243)   #2322
911thillclimber
Veteran

With further Good News on the Mrs Hillclimber front we head to Loton tomorrow for the last event of the year.

3 in the class as ever this year, Allan and Christian in their speedy chariots and me to try to keep them honest.

I started this year seriously considering dropping the car and indeed the sport after 29 years, but thought to leave such a decision until the season was over.
Mixed emotions but so very hard to ignore that the sport has been so good to us.
Managed to measure a Porsche Boxster engine accurately only to find the engine is 100mm wider than the current engine so simply would not go in without some serious rear chassis frame work, a change I'm not too sure I want to make.
As a roller, this car could be reversed to original T 492 spec and run in the Sports 2000 series, cutting to fit the 320 bhp Boxster engine and it's slick AUDI based box would be a bridge too far.
Old 28 Sep 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3930619)   #2323
911thillclimber
Veteran

Wet, and then wet on wet wous the Saturday morning for practice, what a start to the weekend.
Even those on wet cut slicks were slow, and the Lola on full smooooth slicks was painful to try to drive, so I just cruised up practicing the gear changes.83.2 seconds, what a silly time.
My two class mates on wets and better driving came to 60 and 65 seconds!

It dried up generally with a pleasant 17 deg temperature and things improved.

I had forgotten just how fast this Lola is and the thing blasted away in comparison for the 3rd and final practice runs of the day, netting an ok 59.28/ 2.04 for me and 52/54 second runs for my class mates ; my PB is in the 54's..

Mrs Hillclimber lasted the day really well doing Coffee run duties and generally milling around, so that was great.

Weather tonight reads to be truly evil so the track will be a challenge for all
She will be Cream-Crackered by tomorrow night but in very good spirit.

Weather tonight reads to be truly evil so the track will be a challenge for all, but any time I do will not change the class position in my Championship so will be second.
The other 2 in my class have a score to settle in their own championship as they have equal points, so war tomorrow for them.

To say the car is dirty would be a real understatement!
Old 28 Sep 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3930644)   #2324
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love Loton but it is a handful in the wet. Especially on slicks!

Glad to hear Mrs Hillclimber is coping well despite trying conditions and circumstance.

Keep the spirits up (both of you) and have a great day despite the forecast.
Junior Member - The Great Bauble's SOF Club. Member #4
Old 29 Sep 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3930924)   #2325
911thillclimber
Veteran

Loton can dry quickly esp with a bit of a breeze and a tough of sun.

Today was a wet start and the first timed run was the usual cautious approach while others are nutters.
70.74/2.64 but back to the paddock in one piece just before the track seriously dried, then a good shower took it all back, then a slow steady dry.
Second run was 60.08/2.13 and felt good, felt faster tbh, but wishful thinking!
Allan and Christian had their runs with Christian winning by about 0.6 sec.

Thus, I have taken 2nd in a class of 3 in the Midland Championship class for Sports Libre over 2 litres after 3 firsts in a row, so not too bad.

The car is in one piece, has run well, the gears have worked and of course the chassis is the bedrock, stable, no vices and true.

Will be taking it back to McClug Motorsport in the spring to have Sean check the angles and maybe run it a little lower, it has after all be around 6 years since done!