Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3922686)   #4396
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The Arab Spring demonstrated that even people who have lived their whole life under some form of autocratic government can revolt eventually,
Actually, it wasn't about freeing themselves from the yoke of oppression, or whatever, it was about trying to take over and getting their snouts in the trough. Egypt was a typical example. In fact many were bought off by their ruling classes. F'rinstance Qatar gave its civilian people a 25% pay rise whilst the civil defence and military received 30%.

Bahrain was a pawn in the hoomin rites Nazis' game because they well knew that every Friday after prayers there was a street battle between Sunnis and Shiites. Always at that particular roundabout. However once the HRNs saw this they immediately held it up as a fight against oppresion. Again the Bahraini government paid the rioters off and it's all peace and light again. Except the Friday street battle has moved.

Soo all about money, not human rights.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3922690)   #4397
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Peter, if anything like the Today programme this morning, the Beeb will be putting this story in a negative way. John Humphreys gave the executive from the ASA a bit of a tongue lashing when he interviewed her, and basically told her that were being more than overly sensitive. Especially as the ASA had only received 2 or 3 complaints about the adverts in question.
The Vine prog will be discussing it in the next 2 hours, and my impression is that the emphasis will be on ridiculing the ASA....

Fortunately I won’t know for certain as I won’t be listening!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3922723)   #4398
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually, it wasn't about freeing themselves from the yoke of oppression, or whatever, it was about trying to take over and getting their snouts in the trough. Egypt was a typical example. In fact many were bought off by their ruling classes. F'rinstance Qatar gave its civilian people a 25% pay rise whilst the civil defence and military received 30%.

Bahrain was a pawn in the hoomin rites Nazis' game because they well knew that every Friday after prayers there was a street battle between Sunnis and Shiites. Always at that particular roundabout. However once the HRNs saw this they immediately held it up as a fight against oppresion. Again the Bahraini government paid the rioters off and it's all peace and light again. Except the Friday street battle has moved.

Soo all about money, not human rights.
Probably the usual story Pete, the 'politicians' taking advantage of the populace to engineer an uprising to further their own ends, but I like to think they succeed because of the will of the people to be free. Sadly usually swapping one dictatorship for another.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3922825)   #4399
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Grant, I can only assume from your determined defence of a commercial pilot’s right to start their ‘shift’ with alcohol or drugs in their system, and possibly put hundreds of lives at increased risk, that you are one in another life......
I can remember two drivers cars that would not pass scrutineering until the empty whiskey bottles where removed from the car !
Old 15 Aug 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3922826)   #4400
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
We often get HGV drivers in our place that can't drive a manual truck, I wonder how they'd ever get on if given something with a Fuller Roadranger box or similar.
Scammel six speed. Fuller much the same as a Volvo or Scania, piece of cake.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3922830)   #4401
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
No family arguments on here please!

As always seems to be the case nowadays, there are several YouTube vids on every subject, in this case showing how to use a Fuller Roadranger box. Here’s one- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qisr-ryn_V8

Now looking for Scammel video....

Mmm, nothing found, but nice bit of history on Scammel..... http://www.scammellregister.co.uk/index.php/history

Last edited by Mike Bell; 15 Aug 2019 at 10:40.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3922832)   #4402
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

As always seems to be the case nowadays, there are several YouTube vids on every subject, in this case showing how to use a Fuller Roadranger box. Here’s one- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qisr-ryn_V8

Mmm, nothing found, but nice bit of history on Scammel..... http://www.scammellregister.co.uk/index.php/history
Used to use the same technique when I had my Sierra. Mainly because for most of its mid-life it had a dodgy clutch. A long and sorry saga that was only fixed late in its life.

Wish I had had the extra range of gears though. If only because it would have provided some extra toys to play with.

I pity the usage of the extra range was not covered in the video when he mentioned the potential for getting confused about which gear one is in.

Otherwise quite entertaining.

Thanks for finding and posting Mike.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3922833)   #4403
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Mike, the Scammel box was a proper gate box, had three or four neutrals, if you left it running in between 1st and reverse it would seize the box up as the oil pump was not driven. Gear changing was an art in itself, going up the box the knob was held firmly in the palm of the hand with pressure to the right. Going down the box pressure was to the left. If you made a balls up of gear changing you more than likely had to come to a standstill and work your way through the gates till you got to 1st or 2nd. On the 32 tonners we would leave them running between 1st and 2nd neutral to get another half gallon of EP80 to help cooling, as the box was designed in the 1920 s by some one who was either a genius or ****ed.
Actually the box was a three. Speed box which changed from high to low range between 3 and 4 manually by itself, hence my option of the designer.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3922835)   #4404
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Used to use the same technique when I had my Sierra. Mainly because for most of its mid-life it had a dodgy clutch. A long and sorry saga that was only fixed late in its life.
A pity the usage of the extra range was not covered in the video when he mentioned the potential for getting confused about which gear one is in.

Otherwise quite entertaining.

Thanks for finding and posting Mike.
More entertaining than ‘How to replace the screen on your phone’ vids, anyway!

Double de-clutching definitely a dying skill! Reckon all newbies should be taught it.....
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3922836)   #4405
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Mike, the Scammel box was a proper gate box, had three or four neutrals, if you left it running in between 1st and reverse it would seize the box up as the oil pump was not driven. Gear changing was an art in itself, going up the box the knob was held firmly in the palm of the hand with pressure to the right. Going down the box pressure was to the left. If you made a balls up of gear changing you more than likely had to come to a standstill and work your way through the gates till you got to 1st or 2nd. On the 32 tonners we would leave them running between 1st and 2nd neutral to get another half gallon of EP80 to help cooling, as the box was designed in the 1920 s by some one who was either a genius or ****ed.
Actually the box was a three. Speed box which changed from high to low range between 3 and 4 manually by itself, hence my option of the designer.
Sounds great fun...... not! Think I’ll stick to the namby-pamby i-shift.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3922840)   #4406
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As all the cars that I have owned since 1973 have been automatics, on a daily basis changing gear using a clutch to change gear is not something I have to worry about.

However, on the occasions that I have to hire a manual car or have driven trucks, I often find myself double de-clutching without thinking. It all comes back to the fact that my early cars didn't have synchromesh, nor, of course, any of the trucks back then. It also helped whenever the clutch cable snapped on the Hillman Imp I had the pleasure of driving between 1966 and 1969.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3922841)   #4407
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Thanks for the Scammel history Mike, that's something for me to read at lunchtime!
Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3922845)   #4408
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Thanks for the Scammel history Mike, that's something for me to read at lunchtime!
I love those early artics, and of course the tank transporters! The ‘hundred tonner’ low loader is amazing......
Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:58 (Ref:3922856)   #4409
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Not a Scammell, but this appeals:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3704MSJT.jpg  
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Aug 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3922857)   #4410
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An AEC.

But then again:
Attached Thumbnails
FODEN S21 1961  YTP 753 (1) -1xs-M.jpg