Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 18 Jul 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3918402)   #166
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's my public photos of Norisring: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...g_Speedweekend

Unfortunately I forgot my camera on Saturday, and had to use my old mobile phone. The Sunday photos are hardly better, as I was poorly located.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3922221)   #167
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had my first taste of DTM at Brands and sum what mixed feelings from the day.

First off, the new breed of DTM cars are fast, really really fast!! Standing trackside it just bends the mind to see how late on brakes and early on throttle they are. But, this is also seamed to be a big problem in terms of the racing or lack off. All the action seamed to be focused around the pit stops and the mix of cars on old / new tyres. Apart from that, it was all very much as you were apart from the odd manover here n there. There just didn't seam to be a way to overtake. Maybe I'm too used to the BTCC door banging.

Also the timetable was a bit odd, the DTM race could have been held later in the afternoon as it was very noticeable how many people left after that was finished.

Last point from me, considering the scale of the DTM,it surprised me how little the manufacturers had to show off. Audi had a stand with one of last year's RS5's and a R8 V10, BMW had a 8 series and a M4 to Taxi on show and that was it. Nothing from Aston Martin. Compared to what you see when the Blancpain are in town, it was very poor.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3922278)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Good to hear that Aston got on the front row, shame di Resta jumped the start, but it gives hope and encouragement for the future
Old 11 Aug 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3922283)   #169
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly saying the alleged di Resta's jump start is quite a debatable issue. Paul himself states he didn't jump the start, the commentator also claimed that and from my perspective it didn't look clearly like one but stewards have more data to judge. Nevertheless, his pace was good, which, as you said, gives hope for future. In my view Aston Martin ruined their own race. Great quali results turned into a disaster. Di Resta's jump start from P4, Juncandella (P9) crashed into Glock, which resulted in him getting drive through and Dennis (P6) being squeezed into the wall by Glock. Dennis by the way had a terrible start. Habsburg had a very lengthy pitstop (not quite sure what happened there) and there we go - potential for two-three Top 10 positions was wasted.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 05:41 (Ref:3922373)   #170
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Vilnius
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Honestly saying the alleged di Resta's jump start is quite a debatable issue. Paul himself states he didn't jump the start, the commentator also claimed that and from my perspective it didn't look clearly like one but stewards have more data to judge. Nevertheless, his pace was good, which, as you said, gives hope for future. In my view Aston Martin ruined their own race. Great quali results turned into a disaster. Di Resta's jump start from P4, Juncandella (P9) crashed into Glock, which resulted in him getting drive through and Dennis (P6) being squeezed into the wall by Glock. Dennis by the way had a terrible start. Habsburg had a very lengthy pitstop (not quite sure what happened there) and there we go - potential for two-three Top 10 positions was wasted.
ďaston MartinĒ on the pace in UK race? Hmm......
Old 12 Aug 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3922390)   #171
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
ďaston MartinĒ on the pace in UK race? Hmm......
That was more to do with the conditions in qualifying that anything else on Saturday - Aston rolled the dice and sent cars out on slicks after the red flag. The Astons started lighting up the timing screens as the tyres came in and those on wets had to make a dash for the pits with the clock ticking down. Whilst the Astons were pounding around setting quicker and quicker times the others were still trying to get heat into the tyres - once they got them working the Astons started dropping down the order (as expected) but time ran out before everyone got them.

The cars are quicker than last year (they were below last years pole time in practice on Saturday and the track was nowhere near it's best at that point) but they don't sound as good now - rather than the ear splitting howl they now sound more like a GT3 car. Lap times were 8+ seconds quicker than the GT3 cars though so there's plenty of grunt still!

I was at Brands on Saturday only - but I have to say despite the ridiculous weather I still enjoyed it
Old 12 Aug 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3922394)   #172
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just had my first taste of DTM at Brands and sum what mixed feelings from the day.

First off, the new breed of DTM cars are fast, really really fast!! Standing trackside it just bends the mind to see how late on brakes and early on throttle they are. But, this is also seamed to be a big problem in terms of the racing or lack off. All the action seamed to be focused around the pit stops and the mix of cars on old / new tyres. Apart from that, it was all very much as you were apart from the odd manover here n there. There just didn't seam to be a way to overtake. Maybe I'm too used to the BTCC door banging.

Also the timetable was a bit odd, the DTM race could have been held later in the afternoon as it was very noticeable how many people left after that was finished.

Last point from me, considering the scale of the DTM,it surprised me how little the manufacturers had to show off. Audi had a stand with one of last year's RS5's and a R8 V10, BMW had a 8 series and a M4 to Taxi on show and that was it. Nothing from Aston Martin. Compared to what you see when the Blancpain are in town, it was very poor.

I think you are right, cars are too powerful and still too aerodynamic for good racing. And of course too many cars from each manufacturer, which leads to heavy team orders...
Only pit stop strategy and safety cars change the races, and thats not what it should be.

I still don't think, you need 600+ hp in a racecar and F1-like aerodynamics. Both should be less, its all about the fighting.

But thats theory...most manufacturer don't want to see their cars fighting too close...
Old 12 Aug 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3922406)   #173
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Iíd be happy if the cars had 600hp but less aero. Thatíd spice things up a bit.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3922565)   #174
LDM
Rookie

England
SE London / NE Kent
LDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was at Brands for both the Saturday and Sunday and have to say I enjoyed both days - the qualifying for the W-Series on the sunday was exciting too!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3922569)   #175
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
I think you are right, cars are too powerful and still too aerodynamic for good racing. And of course too many cars from each manufacturer, which leads to heavy team orders...
Only pit stop strategy and safety cars change the races, and thats not what it should be.

I still don't think, you need 600+ hp in a racecar and F1-like aerodynamics. Both should be less, its all about the fighting.

But thats theory...most manufacturer don't want to see their cars fighting too close...
Eh, it isn't always like that. Hockenheim last year had an insane amount of DRS-overtakes for the lead between Glock and Paffett. I think they'd race much better at Silverstone or Donnington. Brands Hatch is just not a great track for "big cars"... Even British GT two weeks ago was rather processional.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk
Old 14 Aug 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3922661)   #176
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I agree that Brands, while a good spectacle, doesn't exactly suit DTM in terms of close racing. Donington would probably be better
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3922693)   #177
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree that Brands, while a good spectacle, doesn't exactly suit DTM in terms of close racing. Donington would probably be better
DTM used to go to Donington - I don't remember the racing being much different there. If anything I prefer Brands - you're nearer to the cars (and it's much easier for me to get to ).
Old 14 Aug 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3922770)   #178
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Iíd be happy if the cars had 600hp but less aero. Thatíd spice things up a bit.
Ref: V8 Supercars
Old 14 Aug 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3922771)   #179
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What in the world is up with the anti lag on the Astons? Surprised their turbo last a full weekend