Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3872799)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
ALGARVE CLASSIC FESTIVAL

A week later than previous years, but hopefully still sunny..... Will include I.H.E, MRL, U2TC, Pre ‘63, FJ and GTSCC grids.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3876472)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Anyone looked at Ferry crossings for this one?
Old 16 Jan 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3876473)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm,

How’d you mean Peter? Most trucks go Pompey to Bilbao, leaving the Sunday night w/end before. At the moment I can’t get a booking for Barca, let alone for late Oct!
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:13 (Ref:3876479)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No ferries after Nov 02.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3876481)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
No ferries after Nov 02.
That would just affect return then? In which case will have to drive up to Caen or Calais....
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3876482)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup Caen works.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:22 (Ref:3876484)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yup Caen works.
All a bit puzzling, as they can’t expect freight to not travel just because it’s winter.... I’ll ask when I next chase them about first trip availability.... I’m wondering if they simply haven’t worked out the timetable that far ahead, as the freight site still shows nothing on any crossing after 3rd Nov!
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3876548)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yup Caen works.
Just checked again now I’m home and have a bigger screen to look at, and Britney freight website timetables all stop on November 3rd, regardless of route! So on that basis Caen isn’t an option either, BUT it must be a timetable update thing as the boats operate all year round.....
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3876555)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Going to be a challenge then.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3876556)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Going to be a challenge then.
On that basis, Yes!

It’s always frustrating when booking as freight with them. I know competitors going to Barca in two months with private car and trailer that have confirmed bookings made before Xmas, but up to this morning no freight space has been allocated on the same boat! Obviously hoping they can get as many tourists on as possible......
Old 16 Jan 2019, 23:16 (Ref:3876609)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'll always hold space for their major freight customers - if you buy through one of the agencies I'm afraid you'll always get the leftovers, if there are any. We befriended a biggish French outfit by giving them lots of backloads, they gave us crossings in return. Worked for tyre repairs as well, after one of ours sat for a whole day waiting for a replacement tyre on the way to Magny Cours (with a pile of tyres for testing). The Robin B'stards tried to charge us the best part of a grand for the privilege, our French friends put it on their account and it magically reduced to £300. That job was for Arrows, blimey that was a long time ago!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 05:33 (Ref:3876626)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
They'll always hold space for their major freight customers - if you buy through one of the agencies I'm afraid you'll always get the leftovers, if there are any. We befriended a biggish French outfit by giving them lots of backloads, they gave us crossings in return. Worked for tyre repairs as well, after one of ours sat for a whole day waiting for a replacement tyre on the way to Magny Cours (with a pile of tyres for testing). The Robin B'stards tried to charge us the best part of a grand for the privilege, our French friends put it on their account and it magically reduced to £300. That job was for Arrows, blimey that was a long time ago!
Good story!
I stopped going through an agency after delta got a space by booking direct and I didn't! Since opening an account it's been no problem getting a space, and even choosing where I want a cabin. Only frustration is that they don't seem to release any space until a certain level of tourist bookings have been made. Yes, obviously the regular bulk customers will automatically have space reserved, which is then released near the time when actual requirements are known. That's fair enough!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3876676)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just come off the phone to Britney. Their booking system shows ferry crossings for November and onwards, so sounds like the website and it’s timetables are the issue. Out of curiosity I tried a tourist booking on line and no ferries for November that way either.... Guess using the same timetable / calendar!
Old 27 May 2019, 16:10 (Ref:3906352)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Looking at travelling straight to the Portimao environs from Paul Ricard, after the PA meeting there this autumn. Quite a few did same in 2017, but the Algarve event was the following weekend, so it meant no down time between. This year there is a two week gap, meaning time for a few days R&R.

The only issue will be finding somewhere to park the truck during the gap. Needs to be reasonably safe, and with electricity to keep the services running, as I’ll be living in it! And before delta suggests the caravan / camp site used before, there is no way I’m going to attempt that again.....

Parking at the circuit is not really an option either, as the outer parking has zero facilities, and the European Le Mans series is racing there on the weekend between anyway.

Any (sensible) suggestions?
Old 27 May 2019, 16:19 (Ref:3906357)   #15
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it possible that the organiser of one of the Portuguese events that posted on here a couple of years ago may be able to point you in the right direction. Afraid I cannot remember his name at the moment, but he did seem to be ever so helpful at the time.
Old 27 May 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3906363)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Is it possible that the organiser of one of the Portuguese events that posted on here a couple of years ago may be able to point you in the right direction. Afraid I cannot remember his name at the moment, but he did seem to be ever so helpful at the time.
Guess Diogo Ferrao is who you’re thinking of. He organises this event now and runs the Iberian Historic Endurance series, so obviously I’ll be talking to him as well.

You never know, there may be a tenther down there with a villa and plenty of space.....
Old 27 May 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3906378)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Guess Diogo Ferrao is who you’re thinking of. He organises this event now and runs the Iberian Historic Endurance series, so obviously I’ll be talking to him as well.

You never know, there may be a tenther down there with a villa and plenty of space.....

Yes, that's the fella!

It's almost amusing about the villa. One of my biggest regrets is that I was seriously contemplating a huge 10 bedroom villa not that far from Portimao that was situated on an excellent golf course. It had been repossessed by the lenders after the owner, who I was led to believe was a rather shady character with an unhealthy penchant for gambling, and the property was going oh so cheap. An added bonus for me was that it also had it's own private runway, so I could have popped down there whenever the fancy took me. And the attached hanger - each house had one - would have been more than big enough to accommodate your artic!

Mind you, back then in the late 70s and 80s, we went away every summer with friends and all our children, and every year my friend Alan and I would go through the ritual of looking at properties overseas. We nearly bought in Cyprus, Corfu and the Algarve, just to name a few.

But I was a fool not to have bought that villa on the golf course, although the thought that his creditors (and I am not talking about the bank, here) might be making further calls on the house seeking their money, didn't exactly fill my heart with joy. Especially after we found a number of bullet holes in the external structure!
Old 27 May 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3906381)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike, you’ve let me (and no doubt many others) down by not buying that villa!
Old 27 May 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3906385)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Mike, you’ve let me (and no doubt many others) down by not buying that villa!

Story of my life, Mike!
Old 23 Jul 2019, 04:33 (Ref:3918952)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'm looking for contact details for (I think) 'Algarve Racing Services', who have a race shop at the AIA and are run by a Brit. A brief search brings up nothing, but no doubt there are many on here cleverer than me.....
Old 23 Jul 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3918964)   #21
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm looking for contact details for (I think) 'Algarve Racing Services', who have a race shop at the AIA and are run by a Brit. A brief search brings up nothing, but no doubt there are many on here cleverer than me.....
Mike, there's a Facebook page under that name created in 2010 but no posts on it so probably not in use. You could try messaging them through that but a long shot.

A search on Twitter showed a post by someone called Phil Egginton who appears to be based in Portugal referring to a Steve Worrad of Algarve Racing Services. But again that appears to be in 2010 - as follows:

Steve Worrad of Algarve Racing Services driving the Rodrive Ginetta G50 during the first Open GT race at AIA 13th... http://fb.me/AZb8iSK

That link doesn't appear to work.

Maybe a couple of names in there to work with but perhaps a bit dated?
Old 23 Jul 2019, 09:46 (Ref:3918983)   #22
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=gary396;3918964]Mike, there's a Facebook page under that name created in 2010 but no posts on it so probably not in use. You could try messaging them through that but a long shot.

A search on Twitter showed a post by someone called Phil Egginton who appears to be based in Portugal referring to a Steve Worrad of Algarve Racing Services. But again that appears to be in 2010 - as follows:

Steve Worrad of Algarve Racing Services driving the Rodrive Ginetta G50 during the first Open GT race at AIA 13th... http://fb.me/AZb8iSK

That link doesn't appear to work.

Maybe a couple of names in there to work with but perhaps a bit dated?

Steve Worrad UK:

[/http://www.motorsport-items.com/swr
Old 23 Jul 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3918993)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks guys, you’ve come up with exactly same as me! I know Phil Egginton as he is an ex Morgan racer and has been at the meeting in some previous years. Probably best to try and contact him.....
Old 23 Jul 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3919050)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Hmm,

Britney has now got the winter timetables up on their website. Nothing from Bilbao in Nov, and awkward timing from Santander! 1800 Monday likely not possible to make with a truck unless can leave the circuit by early pm. Next boat Wednesday, and it’s not one of the better ones.....
Old 23 Jul 2019, 17:27 (Ref:3919052)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I spotted that too.