Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1045053)   #1
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who to watch - Armstrong, Rossi or Schumacher?

Three geniuses at work this weekend and while my heart lies at the German GP and watching everyone trying to beat Schumacher's Ferrari, Moto GP with Rossi doing amazing power-slidey Yamaha over Honda things from Donington and even this guy Lance Armstrong hopefully take his 6th T do F victory, appear equally heroic.
Our cup runneth over - what to watch, and who is the greatest? They're all doing superhuman stuff...
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1045056)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not missed a Grand Prix for 12 years and don't intend to now.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1045067)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is more fashionable to bash GP racing, but I'll call it a draw between all of them. Great sportsman all. All seem to still love it too, although they are very different people.

If we had a three way shoot out between them over there sports I reckon it would go:
F1: 1st Schumacher, 2nd Rossi and 3rd Armstrong
Moto GP: 1st Rossi, 2nd Armstrong and 3rd Schuamcher
Cycling: 1st Armstrong, 2nd Schuamcher and 3rd Rossi
(this is based on little reasoning)
So that wil be one first, one second and one third each.

A draw.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1045069)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, that little championship sees them all tied on 24 points!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1045075)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will watch the Tour de France live, and record the German GP, as it's more likely the German GP will need fast-forwarding (and I'm not being fashionable ).
Old 23 Jul 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1045092)   #6
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really do love F1 but, wow!, MotoGP is incredible stuff. Some of the most thrilling motorsports you'll ever see in your life. Unmissable, as far as I'm concerned
Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1045111)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've managed to blag a ticket to the Moto GP at Donington so no contest
Old 23 Jul 2004, 22:44 (Ref:1045140)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gotta agree with Adam, although for pure visceral palm sweating race watching, my past with bikes puts the bikes up there for real racing with no or little ungentlemanly sfuff.

but yes, three G, G and great sportsman doing their thing at the same time (guess who I give the little "g" to)
Old 24 Jul 2004, 00:27 (Ref:1045202)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may also remember, being the 2nd last stage of the Tour, when are you going to see this sort of cycling again, another year?
Old 24 Jul 2004, 00:57 (Ref:1045207)   #10
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll give my 0.02 cents here. Being American i have to go for Lance. MS is the best in F1....no doubt and no small feet....amen (from a schumacher hater). Rossi (he's not the one sponsored by Xerox is he?....sorry don't really follow) MotoGP...not doubt. All around best athlete of the three....has to be Lance.

I had a friend who used to be in competitive cycling before he passed away and used to describe it as 5 hours of nothing but sheer, brute physical pain. Now do that over 3 straight weeks. Has to be Lance.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 03:02 (Ref:1045229)   #11
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Who to watch - Armstrong, Rossi or Schumacher?

Rossi. Undispute.

Probably I will choice Armstrong to wacth. But, unfortunatelly, I have no access to watch the Tour de France live on TV.

I would wacth replay of German GP on Starsport.

Why I have to watch German GP live if I have already know who will win?

Don't get me wrong. I am a F1's die hard fans.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 24 Jul 2004 at 03:03.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 03:21 (Ref:1045236)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shuey has an unfair advantage from the driver/car/team situation (no it doesn't help him every time but it's ready to)
As much as i respect armstrong/love watching TDF, there is allways the suspicion in cycling that ALL the top guys are on drugs but are managing the situation so as not to cross the set drug limits

That leaves Rossi who has chosen to drive for a lesser team but is STILL winning most of the time.

Easy choice
Old 24 Jul 2004, 03:52 (Ref:1045257)   #13
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure, rossi all the way. He is no longer in total domination mode, so the racing is good and close. Like RWC, I respect Schumi and Armstrong, but they make their shows too predictable. Good to see that Armstrong is going to make it 6 tours though, you gotta love a record breaker sometimes.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 04:45 (Ref:1045303)   #14
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll just watch the replay of F1 later
Old 24 Jul 2004, 05:54 (Ref:1045322)   #15
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
was working late and then went Tour de France web surfing, never had really done it before, and found some neat sites. One with Realplayer vids that unfortunately the computer didn't want to play, but did find some good sites with photos from each stage day.

Spent alot of time looking at the stages in the Pyrenees where in the 90's I spent 3 weeks or so doing a bike trip--with tent, campstove, the whole shebang. I was never into bike racing, touring was more my thing, but going over the pictures from the Tour of the same climbs I did brought back many memories and continues to impress/astound just how amazing the feats of these bike racers.

Without getting into the drug scandal "do they or don't they" thing, having gone up the passes these guys do, them at probably five times the speed I was going, and they do Col after Col (monutain passes) per day.

Like the fellow or gal from Washington said, and this for three weeks--its a whole different level of fitness and husbanding of strength than the others. Yes, this is the polonged physical aspect compared to motorsport, but anyway, seeing the photos really made me realize again the huge job it is of winning the Tour, not to mention 5 times or so in a row.

merde, its nearly 2 am, gotta jump on my bicycle and pedal my way home.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 06:22 (Ref:1045337)   #16
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Ehm, I have found an interesting comment from Rossi about F1:

"I loved formula one when there was Senna, Prost and Mansell. It was exciting. Now it is a little bit more boring. Schumacher is No1. I know him. He's a good guy. But the fight is less. And the technology with cars is so much that the drivers don't have to do anything. I don't watch it now."

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/motorcyc...268144,00.html
Old 24 Jul 2004, 06:40 (Ref:1045367)   #17
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
As much as i respect armstrong/love watching TDF, there is allways the suspicion in cycling that ALL the top guys are on drugs but are managing the situation so as not to cross the set drug limits.
Yes, there is. Greg LeMond, a three-time TDF champion, also spread this rumour. He accuse Armstrong as drug usser.

But, until is proven, its JUST RUMOUR.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 07:37 (Ref:1045403)   #18
scooby_au
Rookie

scooby_au should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think rossi would powerslide his pushbike :P
Old 24 Jul 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1045458)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i will be watching le tour this weekend...imho after le mans its the greatest spectacle in sport(why do the french have the two best events?) but not primarily for lance, but to witness those riders coming in after 3 weeks of total commitment, and for the sheer thrill of watching attack after attack going off the front of the peleton in a final bid for glory.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1045464)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Re: Who to watch - Armstrong, Rossi or Schumacher?

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
Probably I will choice Armstrong to wacth. But, unfortunatelly, I have no access to watch the Tour de France live on TV.

Why I have to watch German GP live if I have already know who will win?
Is there any doubt that Lance will win the Tour de France?

If so what is the difference when expecting this guy to win?

I'll try and catch a bit of all three. Although the GP will be the only one definitely live.

The rest of the day will be DIY, be assured they'll be no mulitple winner there...
Old 24 Jul 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1045508)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
adam. theres no doubt lance will win. but theres the stage win to be fought for, as is 2nd place in general classment(yellow jersey), young riders competition is still close, and the green points jersey is going to go all the way to finishing line on the Champs Elysees. all in all...a little less predictable than the result of the GP. and if like me you've followed it for the last three weeks, well it would be like leaving after 23 hours...if you get my drift.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1045522)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There are secondary interests in the GP too. Is McLaren really back on track? How will Button cope with 10+ places on the grid. Can Rubens keep up his pace in practice? The new boy in the Williams? Which driver will stake his claim to the Williams drive? When will Sato blow up

You won't see an argument from me against any of the sports or sportsmen mentioned. Only arguments for.

I do get your drift. I always stay to the end, even though the result is always almost certain after 23 hours. And the same bloke has won that for the last five years too. Which is as good a thing as unpredictable winners, they are sports and naturally sometimes one entrant will dominate and sometimes we'll get a surprise (all three of them must dread punctures!).

Last edited by Adam43; 24 Jul 2004 at 10:09.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1045529)   #23
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is easy for me, i will see all of them as they are all televised at different times way down here. Unfortunately none of them live.

All of them have great reasons to watch. The F1 because the gap is slowly but surely closing in on Ferrari, although i predict MS to win!
The GP bikes because Rossi is doing the impossible on the Yamaha, even if Gibernau(sp) is falling off to give Rossi the title, Biaggi is closing the door.
The Tour de France because i could never imagine pedelling my YZ250!!

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 24 Jul 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1045592)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was wondering about this, but I think I might, for the first time in over a decade, watching something above F1 - and that something's MotoGP. Having the ebst rider on an inferior bike is part of the appeal, and the race have been superbly exciting. The F1's mroe likely to require the fast-froward button as well.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1045613)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Keep the faith!