Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2882582)   #51
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I was there last year mate - awesome, awesome day.

Is it the full GP circuit again? We sat round the back of the track, just fantastic stuff.

Martin Stretham (???) was it...?

Selby
Old 19 May 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2882590)   #52
JBT
Rookie

JBT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I was in the Woodcote Grandstand when Rosberg did the 150mph qualifying lap in 1985.He appeared under the Express Bridge in a cloud of black smoke and hurled the Williams through the chicane at an outrageous speed. It was only when he got back to the pits that Williams realised he'd got a slow puncture!
Great quote to read and I can only image what it was like to watch, Alan! I vaguely remember the race on TV at the time but I don't think the BBC showed qualifying, did they? (They did live in '86, that might have been the first year).

I've got an Autosport from '86 somewhere where Piquet was testing at Silverstone, before the other chicane was put in after the bridge. I can't remember the time off hand but it was even quicker than Keke's '85 qualy lap, and he was quoted as saying something to the mechanics like 'If you really wan't me to go for it, I think I could do under a 1m03!'

Doesn't take anything away from Keke's lap though, as the FW10 looked much harder to drive fast than the FW11, it had a years less tyre development, it wasn't the fastest car on the '85 grid, and I remember reading it was just starting to drizzle through the last half of Keke's lap?!
Old 19 May 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2882601)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup, in fact I recall it finally began to sleet!

Dan. It is the GP circuit for Sunday/Monday. The car is owned by Roger Wills.
Old 19 May 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2882655)   #54
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhhhhh I just realised i'm at my girlfriend's for the weekend. I probably would have gone along again, actually.

Selby
Old 21 May 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2883554)   #55
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Doesn't take anything away from Keke's lap though, as the FW10 looked much harder to drive fast than the FW11, it had a years less tyre development, it wasn't the fastest car on the '85 grid, and I remember reading it was just starting to drizzle through the last half of Keke's lap?!
Williams also later confirmed that the car had a deflating tyre as one of the rears (I think it was rear) had a slow puncture picked up prior to 'the lap'
Old 21 May 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2883697)   #56
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Williams also later confirmed that the car had a deflating tyre as one of the rears (I think it was rear) had a slow puncture picked up prior to 'the lap'
and it had two cracked pistons ....
Old 22 May 2011, 00:01 (Ref:2883703)   #57
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Martin Stretham (???) was it...?
Martin Stretton.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2884403)   #58
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rosberg Snr again.

Huge amounts of power and wheelspin at a wet Monaco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvLyYqgGqU

...and introducing Jean Alesi at Monaco in an F1 car for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg3WCsDKZTg
Old 27 Mar 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3049124)   #59
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a few new additions....

to my f1 set...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...7623186790747/

all my sets...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/sets/
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3049325)   #60
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Being a relative newby I hadn't noticed this thread before.

I have ranted like an old man on current GP posts, but to little effect.Nice to see Keke's lap remembered by people - Bernie wouldn't allow that today.Not in keeping with his requirements for public perception blah blah.

I have questioned the need for a safety-car when it's raining - it's getting more like the States every day.I recall seeing an old film of the Belgian GP 1966, the one when it monsooned on the back of the track, and JYS vowed to start his safety campaign.

The film had an aerial shot of John Surtees in his lump of a 3-litre Ferrari on the Masta (I think) keeping the car in a straight line on the streaming track. In order to achieve that, Big John was twirling his hands and arms like a nutcase, the wheel was a blur. Real car control, no electronic aids, all skill and cohones; the big guy's bike experience coming to the fore.

I think Jochen Rindt spun his useless Cooper in several 360degree rotations on various parts of the circuit, but don't recall him asking for the race to be stopped. It has been suggested by a poster that maybe insurance companies' requirements need to be considered - I don't think this would have reared its head "back in the day".
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3049709)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is a nice thread not sure why I hadn't seem it before!

I recall watching the 83 RoC on telly in Bristol. Think it was the second or third year I was into F1.

Got really excited by Danny the newcomer taking it to the great Keke but was bit disappointed he didn't go on to have a good season, getting trounced by Alboreto!

Was great to see Jones trying very hard in the Arrows too!
Old 28 Mar 2012, 00:52 (Ref:3049794)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
This is a nice thread not sure why I hadn't seem it before!

I recall watching the 83 RoC on telly in Bristol. Think it was the second or third year I was into F1.

Got really excited by Danny the newcomer taking it to the great Keke but was bit disappointed he didn't go on to have a good season, getting trounced by Alboreto!

Was great to see Jones trying very hard in the Arrows too!
I remember going to that race at Brands and it was the last Roc ever to be held.