Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 May 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2878491)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
F1 Nostalgia

This is pure F1 nostalgia. I've put it here because some people who weren't around at the time may be interested.

It's the 1983 Race of Champions from Brands Hatch, with a string of names you may never have seen race, and great commentary from Murray Walker and James Hunt.

I always thought Murray went on too long and he began to annoy me, but this is a reminder of him at his best, and the mellow tones and candid comments of James Hunt are always worth hearing.

The link is to Part 1, but if you like it enough and want to see more Parts 2 and 3 can be found on the right-hand sidebar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9w8nC75DI
Old 11 May 2011, 04:13 (Ref:2878525)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Love the cars from this era....

Also Brands Hatch brings back so many great memories for me personally, being one of my local venues and regular haunts up until 1983 when I moved to Australia. I loved the track, particularly the full GP track and was sad to see it basically become outgrown by F1.

Thought it amusing, and a sign of the times, that in the clip Murray was talking of cold tyres at the start taking at least 6 laps to warm up completely.

Nowadays some people seem to only be getting a total tyre life of not much more than 6 or 7 laps off a set of tyres. In Turkey, half of the grid had already pitted for tyres by the end of lap 10!

This particular race, the 1983 Race of Champions, was IIRC the last ever top level non championship F1 race ever to be held.

Great post and thread. I am sure we could add a number of other good nostalgia moments from times of old, without much effort.

Last edited by E.B; 11 May 2011 at 04:19.
Old 11 May 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2878566)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh thanks alot for posting this.

There's often too much bashing of things going on here - it's refreshing to see something so positive

Great track, great drivers. Will give this a watch through today at points i'd assume.

Selby
Old 12 May 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2879067)   #4
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this fits...

My first-hand experience with F1 was fairly limited, Long Beach, Las Vegas and Montreal in the '70s and '80s so I don't have a lot of images in my archives.

This is what I've posted so far, with maybe 4 or 5 times that many that haven't seen the light of a scanner yet. Eventually they will.

My F1 set.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...7623186790747/

Call me demented, but this is one of my favorites....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...57623186790747

All my sets....lots of other nostalgia here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/sets/

Last edited by marc sproule; 12 May 2011 at 04:36.
Old 12 May 2011, 04:56 (Ref:2879069)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 13 May 2011, 01:00 (Ref:2879685)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was there!
Old 13 May 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2879695)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, not strictly F1 nostalgia but you've got to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshOAfDgE7Q&NR=1
Old 13 May 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2879727)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know the American open-wheelers had wings, albeit primitive ones, before Formula 1 did.

Last edited by Pingguest; 13 May 2011 at 07:30.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2879787)   #9
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few from me so far - the quality's not great but a handful of shots from Brands Hatch in 85 and Silverstone in 91. I'm hoping to find more as I dig through the old sets that are still piled up in the garage after moving house a couple of years back!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neildav...7626579504395/
Old 13 May 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2879793)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Watched the Brands Hatch race - what a cracker!

Looking forward to watching some of these other ones.

Selby
Old 13 May 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2879902)   #11
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic images Marc, a real treasure trove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc sproule View Post
Hopefully this fits...

My first-hand experience with F1 was fairly limited, Long Beach, Las Vegas and Montreal in the '70s and '80s so I don't have a lot of images in my archives.

This is what I've posted so far, with maybe 4 or 5 times that many that haven't seen the light of a scanner yet. Eventually they will.

My F1 set.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...7623186790747/

Call me demented, but this is one of my favorites....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...57623186790747

All my sets....lots of other nostalgia here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46681980@N03/sets/
Old 14 May 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2880276)   #12
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks nycuk..

I'm glad you're enjoying what I got to see all those years ago.

I wish real life wasn't getting in the way of getting more images scanned and uploaded.
Old 14 May 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2880302)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I didn't know the American open-wheelers had wings, albeit primitive ones, before Formula 1 did.
Can-Am had wings, ground effect and fans, long before they made it to F1. Note use of 4 cylinder turbo engine in 1967 USAC vid.

Pinnacle my ass!
Old 14 May 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2880414)   #14
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British Grand Prix, Brands Hatch 1984.
Attached Thumbnails
mr12^005.jpg   mr12^010.jpg   mr12^003.jpg  

mr12^016.jpg   mr12^004.jpg  
Old 14 May 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2880436)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Can-Am had wings, ground effect and fans, long before they made it to F1. Note use of 4 cylinder turbo engine in 1967 USAC vid.

Pinnacle my ass!
The Chapparal 2E, which had the moveable wing raced in Can-Am in 1966 and the Chapparal 2J, the fan car raced in the 1970 Can-Am season and then was banned.
Old 14 May 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2880441)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Pinnacle my ass!
Come come now, it sure is: bull**** and money!
Old 15 May 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2880525)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
1969 Lotus 56b 'offy'.

Four cylinder turbo charged Ford, four wheel drive. Was also fitted with a Plymouth V8 and gas turbine engines.
Attached Thumbnails
69pollard-vi.jpg   scan0091-vi.jpg  
Old 15 May 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2880541)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Some more Lotus 56B pics:

Old 15 May 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2880544)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Look to be gas turbine versions?

Those were the days (before big bucks ruined it all). And, as someone is currently saying in their sig: "Nostalgia aint what it used to be!"
Old 15 May 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2880557)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Look to be gas turbine versions?

Those were the days (before big bucks ruined it all). And, as someone is currently saying in their sig: "Nostalgia aint what it used to be!"
Yes they are. They persevered with it from 1968-71.
Old 16 May 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2881129)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Here's another video. Jim Clark driving a Lotus 33 at Oulton Park. No chicanes, just finesse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDkZYhJR1E&sns=fb
Old 16 May 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2881133)   #22
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was there!
Me, too - although by that time the Race of Champs was on the slide. I still have fond memories of Ickx going round the outside of Lauda in '74.....
Old 16 May 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2881134)   #23
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hockenheim 1986.

Race of Champions 1974. It was very wet!!!!

Old 16 May 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2881144)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bull View Post
Me, too - although by that time the Race of Champs was on the slide. I still have fond memories of Ickx going round the outside of Lauda in '74.....
The '83 race was held for the first time since '79 and it was the last one as well.

I was at the '74 race too and I'll never forget seeing Jacky Ickx overtaking Lauda round the outside of Paddock in the rain and there was a lot of rain that day. I don't know if there are any photos of that.
Old 16 May 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2881201)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any pictures of the Shadow Team and 70's Brabham.

GOD, I really miss Murph, wherever you are mate we really miss you in threads like this one !