Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Apr 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1287772)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Will Porsches LMP2 be able to compete for overall wins?

This articles from Sportscar pros suggests that Porsches LMP" if they are serious abouts it could be competing for overall wins. Is this realistic and if so is it a good thing?
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1287780)   #2
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche are very good at spotting loopholes in the rule book, so I would not be suprised if the the car was on the pace of the LMP1's.

Have Audi said if the new R10 is going to be LMP1 or LMP2.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1287786)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot will depend on who is selected to drive it. A new prototype can't be driven by a monkey, even if he is a popular monkey from Another Series; a new prototype in a class known for its fragility needs a top class driver slate able to give proper feedback and assist in developing the car -- and bringing it home. I am afraid that instead the temptation will be to hire a team of drivers whose primary interest is in showing off and "wowing the crowd" for the six laps they are able to complete, and then hanging around to explain to the media how it's the fault of everything from sunspots to the series (see: Boris Said).

Any car can challenge for wins it it has the proper combination of drivers and crew, but in the matter of development I think it will depend heavily on the drivers.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1287795)   #4
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True Liz, though Porsche are usually pretty good at picking their drivers.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a new Porsche LMP2 was on LMP1 pace.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1287816)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely Porsche will place a few factory drivers there. However if the ultimate pace (of the car or category) is not there then it will struggle - except for reliability. The big cars/engines normally have better reliability.

In some ways (apart from fuel economy) Le Mans always works against the smaller class. The car may well do better on some of the ALMS tracks.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1287899)   #6
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Porsche will move up to LMP1 and the LMP2 cars will be there in case the P1 cars falter. Kind of like when 910s and 908s were in the same field as 917s.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1287920)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read that article this morning. Good read with a lot of interesting bits in it.

A number of Porsche's factory drivers have been itching to try something else besides GT2 racing. So I'd say the short list starts there.

It's also a safe bet that their P2 car will definitely be on the pace. Intersport's Lola has shown some tremendous pace in its first races and they really have not had much chance to refine it. A P2 car can be quick just like the old 675kg cars were quick. Reliability is the key.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1287967)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If we're talking about drivers like Sascha Maassen, Lucas Luhr, Romain Dumas, Marc Lieb, Timo Bernhard et al., then I think Penske have nothing to worry about on that score. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Porsche LMP2 pretty close to front running pace.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1288093)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I dont see any reason as to why Porsche cant be right at the front, or at least within the top 6 of a LMES/ALMS race, if entries like MG in the past have managed to achieve front running pace then Im sure bigger budget operations like the Penske Porsche entry will be able to do better. Granted the rules were slightly differnt back in 2001 with the 675kg having a bigger weight advantage than they have now but I still think it is possible for a LMP 2 car to run at the front of the field.

If Porsche but front running drivers into their cars like Massen, Ortelli, Leib in 1 car and Bernhard, Collard, Bergmeister in another they will have 2 cars worthy of fighting with anyone IMO. Lets hope Porsche are really serious about this project, if they are there is a outside chance of them winning at Le Mans perhaps.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1288098)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Top 6 in a LMES/ALMS race for a Porsche effort. In any prototype class - I should think so. A win? Maybe...
Old 28 Apr 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1289052)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
It's also a safe bet that their P2 car will definitely be on the pace. Intersport's Lola has shown some tremendous pace in its first races and they really have not had much chance to refine it. A P2 car can be quick just like the old 675kg cars were quick. Reliability is the key.
The performance of Intersport, fresh out of the box, I believe without a proper seat for the driver, at Sebring was rather startling. I also see the Porsche entry, when it comes, as being even more competitive and also reliable. But, I thought the new P2 cars were going to be a peg below the older 675 cars, and basically run thier own race and not go chasing the P1 cars. When did things change? Didn't the complection of P2 change with the new Lola, and now the Porsche announcement?

robert

Last edited by skycafe; 28 Apr 2005 at 00:45.