Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2007, 09:04 (Ref:1910909)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old Lewis vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_PJqM-sRc&NR=1

A mate just forward this to me. Lewis racing back in '98...
Old 11 May 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1911001)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there is no doubt about it he is a cool customer even back then.

I have to say the commentator is worse than James (the school girl with a crush on LH) Allen, if that is possible. Just how many times can you say Lewis Hamilton in 7 minutes?
Old 12 May 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1911716)   #3
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what a race from a mere teenager
Old 12 May 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1911762)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dose anyone remember the F3 race from Bahrain a few years ago. I have it on video tape but can't find it online. Outrageous overtaking everywhere!
Old 12 May 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1911818)   #5
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Outrageous overtaking? Well he can knock that on the head now that he's in F1
Old 12 May 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1911825)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My favourite was GP2 race two from Turkey last season. If ever you feel the hand of motorsport misery upon your shoulder, just put that in the DVD player (or youtube it).

Great video spider!
Old 12 May 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1911832)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Great video Spider thank you...
Old 12 May 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1911931)   #8
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great vid, thanks

Looks like Lewis should be OK with a wet race then
Old 12 May 2007, 23:26 (Ref:1911959)   #9
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Lewis overtaking Massa in the S curve in GP Spain 2007 was great as well... oh, wait, it has not happened yet! The race is going to start in 12 hours!
Old 17 May 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1915487)   #10
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
what a race from a mere teenager
With respect, if you followed junior karting, as I have for many years, this is quite regular stuff.

What interested me was how differant Lewis was then, to how cocky he is now! Usually it's the other way around.

Also just before the camera changes to the overhead shot of Lewis taking the flag, note the McLaren Mercedes banner on the trackside. If only an F1 team was involved as series backers in our day!
Old 18 May 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1916221)   #11
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just think Lewis was given everything on a plate, he had no budget worries and was always placed in the best teams, Where as your son Ant had to work hard for it, that makes a different in ones attitude and how they see things.
Old 18 May 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1916233)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many drivers are given support in varying degrees, others have to graft for it. But the cream will always rise to the top...
Old 20 May 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1917498)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I just think Lewis was given everything on a plate, he had no budget worries and was always placed in the best teams
He wouldn´t have been given such support if the people who gave him it didn´t have faith in his talents. Hence, the support was deserved. He still had to do the business. "everything on a plate" is completely over the top.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1919426)   #14
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I put it all down to that "Lucky Conker" LOL

I wonder if he's still got it.
Old 24 May 2007, 11:38 (Ref:1920222)   #15
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1066
I put it all down to that "Lucky Conker" LOL

I wonder if he's still got it.
He probably carries a rotting conker around in a plastic bag. If he lost it, he'd go to pieces (there's an idea, Fernando!)
Old 25 May 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1920734)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amier
I just think Lewis was given everything on a plate, he had no budget worries and was always placed in the best teams,

You don't think talent had anything to do with it then?
Old 29 May 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1923781)   #17
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plenty of guys with equal talent to Lewis have not been given the backing they needed to progress their careers. It is obvious Formula one would like drivers from markets that they currently are not big in. I am sure they know the demographic of how many black people watch or identify with Formula 1. Lewis will open this market up. Drivers from emerging markets provide business opportunities to current sponsors of the sport and attracts new sponsors to look at the sport. Expect more drivers from Eastern Europe, Far East, China and the USA. What you won't see are lots of white English drivers.
Lewis has done a great job but he has had the best of everything all the way to the top.
Old 29 May 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1923884)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Ummm... Personally I'm very sceptic about the phrase "plenty of guys with equal talent to Lewis". At least in planet Earth I don't see many of them.
Old 29 May 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1924014)   #19
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you go back over the last 30 years motor racing is littered with great talents who could not progress due to a lack of funds. It's just the way it is i am afraid.
Old 30 May 2007, 04:36 (Ref:1924334)   #20
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Although I think LH is a special extreme case of talent, I see a point in your argument: J.Villeneuve's case.

When he was in a great car he was impressive, His debut race and debut season (even if he was not exactly a "rookie") were very brilliant. Then, when he had lesser cars, he went fading into irrelevancy. The point is, if JV had begun his F1 career in a slow car, he had got enough prestige to get into a top team? Or perhaps he had burnt out in a middle field car?

So, perhaps some big talents can be wasted even if they reach F1... in the wrong team. Yes, Senna, Alonso, Lauda, etc fought through minor teams to top teams, but I'm not sure this is always the case, there was a bit of "luck" (or money, or faith) involved.

Anyway I believe this particular guy, Lewis, looks very seriously talented. I'm afraid I'm naive enough to consider him in the same league as other names in this post
Old 30 May 2007, 07:20 (Ref:1924387)   #21
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad this thread took off!

People forget that others were given opportunities like Lewis, but everyone who's raced against him that i know rates him exceptionally highly. He is more complete than any other rookie i can think of.

Personally i've tracked Oliver Rowland, the new lad they've snapped up, for a number of years and if he's at a kart circuit near you anytime soon i'd take the chance to go down and see just how good that kid is too...
Old 30 May 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1924642)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think he deserves all the chances he's had/got - I care not a fig whether he had a silver spoon in his mouth...... Life is tough for worthy drivers who don't make it - but the history books are littered with them and always will be.
Old 30 May 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1924833)   #23
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
He wouldn´t have been given such support if the people who gave him it didn´t have faith in his talents. Hence, the support was deserved. He still had to do the business. "everything on a plate" is completely over the top.
Oh! He was winning alright, so were many others talented, past and present. But have 'you' ever tried getting to the top without "everything on a plate" 'Born Racer'? And drivers arn't Born...they are Trained...and the better the kart or car, the better the training! The best teams kit costs money, lots of it. Without an F1 team picking up the tab, Lewis in a Spyker would be doing a better job than Albert! But no better than Sutil, with just the occassional glimer e.g. like wet practice at Monaco!
Old 30 May 2007, 18:20 (Ref:1924844)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So?

With respect, the point has been made a hundred times before - priobably a thousand or more..... It's no basis to snub a guy's obvious talent just becasue he got the break when someone else didn't - c'est la vie.......

And I'm not convinced about the drivers not being born bit either. I think there have been drivers who could justifiably claim to have been born to race..... No better than Sutil - hmmm. We'll just have to agree to differ on that one.
Old 30 May 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1924855)   #25
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
I don't think anyone wants to snub Lewis. His is very talented and will no doubt soon be winning races and championships. The point i think some people are trying to make is that he has had every opportunity possible to get to the top. I think there is a misconception here, held by people who have never had anything to do with motor racing at any level, let alone F1. That the cream will rise to the surface. This is not true, as motor racing is a money sport. The cost of getting into even a testing role in F1 (which by the way most drivers pay for) from being a young karter would be in excess of £5 million. The figures doing the round for McLaren's investment in Lewis is more like £9 million. During Lewis's career so far there have been many drivers, equally talented who have slipped by the wayside due to lack of funds.