Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 1 Sep 2007, 02:35 (Ref:2001158)   #1
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Detroit, IRL Belle Island

Down to the last two races of the season and although we are at a new road circuit several of these drivers have raced there before in their CART days back in 2001 or beyond. With no existing data to help with set up the question be who can adapt to the track the quickest and get their cars set up right come race time. Top ten from P1 & P2 below

Practice 1 top ten
1 Franchitti Time 01:13.3347, speed 101.602
2 Castroneves
3 Kanaan
4 Dixon
5 Hornish Jr
6 Andretti
7 Hunter-Reay
8 Scheckter
9 Meira
10 Matsuura

Practice 2 top ten
1 Castroneves Time 01:13.3130, speed 101.646
2 Franchitti
3 Dixon
4 Kanaan
5 Andretti
6 Hunter-Reay
7 Meira
8 Hornish Jr
9 Scheckter
10 Manning

2007 Driver Standings
Scott Dixon, 560 points
Dario Franchitti, 556 points
Tony Kanaan, 498 points
Old 1 Sep 2007, 02:41 (Ref:2001160)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh forgot to mention live chat come race time

tentenths.com/chat
Old 1 Sep 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2001378)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So.

How will AGR throw it away this weekend?
Old 1 Sep 2007, 18:54 (Ref:2001419)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, Castroneves pole - Dario 2nd, Dixon 3rd...IRL one of the few series keeping the championship interesting and close so far.

Marco's 6th and well withing screwing it up distance. Wheldon a no help back in 16th.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2001507)   #5
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Very true Hazard, for several years now the IRL has been one to watch as far as giving us a very close battle right up to the last race.

I don’t know much about this circuit. Has anyone got a heads up what to expect come race time from the track?

P3 top ten & qualifying below

Qualifying
1 Castroneves Time 01:12.0688, speed 103.401
2 Franchitti
3 Dixon
4 Kanaan
5 Hunter-Reay
6 Andretti
7 Hornish Jr
8 Manning
9 Scheckter
10 Meira
11 Partick
12 Carpenter
13 Foyt
14 Matsuura
15 Rice
16 Weldon (what the hell are you doing down here, your team mate need some help, guess he will just have to rely on Marco for that)
17 Sharp
18 Fisher

Practice 3 top ten
1 Dixon, Time 01:12.4039, speed 102.923
2 Castroneves
3 Kanaan
4 Franchitti
5 Andretti
6 Hunter-Reay
7 Partick
8 Meira
9 Scheckter
10 Hornish Jr

Notable, 16th Weldon
Old 1 Sep 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2001512)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wheldon seems demotivated really. Cruel luck early on has denied him a title shot, he had a miserable 500 and he isn't allowed his dream move to NASCAR yet. Hardly surprising he's ending the season in morose style.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 21:43 (Ref:2001521)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
I don’t know much about this circuit. Has anyone got a heads up what to expect come race time from the track?
It was one of my favourite tracks in Champcar and the ALMS has been fun so it should be good!

Here's an onboard lap of it, but I think a section has slightly changed since this footage.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=05vLC_zjPpY
Old 1 Sep 2007, 21:47 (Ref:2001526)   #8
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
To true Knowlesy re coments on Wheldon.

Dixon knows how to play wing man if he is in that position, Weldon hasn't really been there for him in recent times. Dario has got 3 team mates that in theory should all be helping him secure the title (team boss I'm not so sure about)

I'm really looking forward to see how tomorrow plays out.

I think I heard somewhere the track is a bit like a Conga. Is that correct?

Last edited by NAC; 1 Sep 2007 at 21:50.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2001534)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I think most guys in Dan's position would be the same really. It can't be easy, but it would be nice if he got his head together.

Let's face it though, Dario isn't exactly getting great help. Tony, his friend, is there for him all the way but the rest of the team, well.....let's just say Michael has made some regrettable and damaging calls.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 15:48 (Ref:2001896)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
To true Knowlesy re coments on Wheldon.

Dixon knows how to play wing man if he is in that position, Weldon hasn't really been there for him in recent times. Dario has got 3 team mates that in theory should all be helping him secure the title (team boss I'm not so sure about)

I'm really looking forward to see how tomorrow plays out.

I think I heard somewhere the track is a bit like a Conga. Is that correct?

Penske made some changes to it that should proabably help it somewhat, but back when CART ran there (1992-2001) the races were won on pit strategy and fuel mileage with very little passing on the track.

I watched the delayed telecast of the ALMS race yesterday and I can only hope that the IRL race will be just half as exciting....incredible last five minutes where the Penske Porsche made two beautiful moves to get past the Audi for the win....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Sep 2007, 17:17 (Ref:2001948)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This is the 1992-1997 configuration. The 1998-2001 configuration had a pretty cood straight after Turns 1 and 2, which allowed for some passing into the right-hand Turn 3. I rather hope they can get back to using the 1998-2001 (2.36-mile vs 2.1-mile) course starting next year.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 18:13 (Ref:2001978)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes I noticed they have the tighter classic course. The 1998-2001 has longer stretches but Detroit looking back at some old CART onboards, Montoya with the huge HP, it looked very fast! I have been at work all week but I did check out practice and the circuit did look lovely in the gorgeous sunshine. Belle Isle was a favorite of mine....I expect Helio will win as he did in 2001.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2002038)   #13
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Start your Honda engines!"? Goodness me, that sounded silly.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2002040)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Oh forgot to mention live chat come race time

tentenths.com/chat
Hi Jimmy. Chat on now
Old 2 Sep 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2002097)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That looked slightly dirty from Dixon. To say the least.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:04 (Ref:2002098)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yep, replay proves it.

I stuck up for Scott last week, but this week he is in the wrong clearly. He has to be sanctioned, preferably points wise.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:04 (Ref:2002099)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Well I never.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:07 (Ref:2002102)   #18
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will cast a big shadow over this year's championship hunt. I have no idea if Dixon did that on purpose but it certainly looked like it.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:07 (Ref:2002103)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Cracking sit-on-the-fence studio analysis.

EDIT - No, I was wrong.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:08 (Ref:2002105)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, if he did it on purpose, it was blummin' impressive!

Dario coming on telly...
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2002106)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Oh christ Dario. You are too much of a gentleman at times.

I suppose it may not have been on purpose, but it would surely have been pretty simple to do that. Oh I am going backwards, turn the wheel right. Oh what an irony, Dario is there!
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2002110)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What was Dario's point about the officials? I didn't quite get it.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2002112)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Something about the yellow being thrown too late after the incident.

I really do not understand Dario's blame apportioning at the best of times. But then, he is a class act, unlike forum people such as myself who think Dixon is now satanic.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:16 (Ref:2002114)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Something about the yellow being thrown too late after the incident.
Would it have made any difference?
Quote:
...is now satanic.
Quote:
Oh christ Dario...
Quote:
Proud supporter of "Victory In Jesus Racing". ;-)

No, seriously!
Are you alright?
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:17 (Ref:2002117)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No, I'm seriously flustered.