HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unbelievable, Congrats Dario!!!!!!!
Old 9 Sep 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2007987)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jammy so and so!

I think that can be described as close. There was some talk of fuel on the radio at the yellow. If Danica hadn't spun whould both of them had to stop?
Old 9 Sep 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2007988)   #28
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Running in the draft suited Dario there. A thrilling finish to a thrilling season.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2007993)   #29
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well that was close; well done Dario, a deserving champ. Great season for Scott too
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:02 (Ref:2007995)   #30
HCForums
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
HCForums should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you gamble you can lose. I feel bad for Dixon but we all know they both deserved it.

They are very friendly for Milka Duno today.

Judd: "They need to get that #23 car off track, there's life at stakes."
Goodyear: "If it goes any slower they need to put a zipcode on it."
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:04 (Ref:2007996)   #31
MasterJediDan
Rookie

MasterJediDan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
Yes!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for Dario - Great racing driver and one of the class acts in all of motorsport -- Not to take anything away from Scott Dixon -- Also a great driver and class act - But this was Dario's year! Congrads Dario!!!!!!
A great class act by Danica, at the most. That spin at the end to get the yellow flag was so pathetically fake.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:07 (Ref:2007999)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterJediDan
A great class act by Danica, at the most. That spin at the end to get the yellow flag was so pathetically fake.
Post moved from the Dario champion thread, to the one about the race.

Danica, may have nearly helped Dixon.

Fake, nah. I cite Occam here.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2008006)   #33
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Dario
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2008017)   #34
MasterJediDan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Post moved from the Dario champion thread, to the one about the race.

Danica, may have nearly helped Dixon.

Fake, nah. I cite Occam here.
Hmmm...but how did Danica's spin help Dixon? I think that if she hadn't spun out, both Dario and Scott would have had to pit for a tiny bit more fuel, and Scott could have gotten out of the pits faster. I'm still confused about what caused Danica's spin, since she never touched the wall or made contact with anything.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2008018)   #35
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario - I remember those rainy days back in the early 90s at various tracks in the UK - FF, FVL, F3. I remember that F1 test at Silverstone in 2000. Then I came to Indy this year and saw you win!! Now this - amazing. This picture I took at Indy this year says it all;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul69/1352665838/

I've already cracked open the Canadian Club - well done man! And bad luck but very well done also to Scott.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:31 (Ref:2008028)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Hmmm...but how did Danica's spin help Dixon? I think that if she hadn't spun out, both Dario and Scott would have had to pit for a tiny bit more fuel, and Scott could have gotten out of the pits faster. I'm still confused about what caused Danica's spin, since she never touched the wall or made contact with anything.
I said nearly. It nearly enabled him to get to the end without a risky pitstop.

She locked up the brakes when slowing from a very high speed to a low one. Not that unusual. Your implication that it was on purpose relies on the team realising that a yellow then would take exactly four laps to clear (not six!), leaving them with exactly two laps left, that Dixon after 30 odd laps of full racing, a few yellow laps and one and half more laps, would run out of fuel. And that they can effectively comminicate this to Danica. And Danica can fix a spin!

Even if they did know some of that, there best bet was turning Dario round quicker in the pits. Danica's spin removed the chance of a pit stop.

I'm afraid I am not convinced by your assertation. The only hint you have of proof is that she didn't hit anything! She didn't; luckily.

I think that an assetion that she spun on purpose is wrong.

Welcome to 10-10ths though
Old 9 Sep 2007, 23:00 (Ref:2008051)   #37
MasterJediDan
Rookie

Quote:
She locked up the brakes when slowing from a very high speed to a low one. Not that unusual. Your implication that it was on purpose relies on the team realising that a yellow then would take exactly four laps to clear (not six!), leaving them with exactly two laps left, that Dixon after 30 odd laps of full racing, a few yellow laps and one and half more laps, would run out of fuel. And that they can effectively comminicate this to Danica. And Danica can fix a spin!

Even if they did know some of that, there best bet was turning Dario round quicker in the pits. Danica's spin removed the chance of a pit stop.

I'm afraid I am not convinced by your assertation. The only hint you have of proof is that she didn't hit anything! She didn't; luckily.
Ok, sounds good. It just looked rather suspicious from the driver cam in her car. I mean, she's just driving into the pits and then BOOM, she spins out. The moment she spun out I cried foul because the race was so close there, but after examining all the evidence I think I'll reconsider.

Quote:
Welcome to 10-10ths though
Thanks!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 03:44 (Ref:2008142)   #38
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm with you on both having to pit for a splash and dash if Danica had not have spun.

Quote:
Ok, sounds good. It just looked rather suspicious from the driver cam in her car. I mean, she's just driving into the pits and then BOOM, she spins out.
Yea she does that alot, it's her thing. BOOM

Welcome to Ten Tenths
Old 10 Sep 2007, 08:08 (Ref:2008215)   #39
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
What the NZ public saw on tonight’s news (also shows Danica’s spin)

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1340398

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_sub_cat...rt_index_group

Man I feel for Ron and Glenys, her face said it all.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/SportsNews...ult.aspx#video

Footage of Ron as Scott runs out of fuel
Old 10 Sep 2007, 10:29 (Ref:2008344)   #40
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It puzzles me as to why, after they knew they weren't getting the mileage Dario was, that they chose to run Dixon out front instead of behind Wheldon. You would think they would want to take advantage of the draft.

I am sure the conspiracy theorists will be along momentarily, but I can't go along with Danica's spin being contrived primarily because both drivers, particularly Wheldon, were in fuel saving mode. You would think if you are going to do that it would be in a stiuation where Dixon was ok but the only way Dario could finish would be to have a yellow.

"Max Papis Hall of Fame." - Priceless!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 10 Sep 2007 at 10:33.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 11:34 (Ref:2008425)   #41
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget what Dario mentioned on Wind Tunnel. If Danica's spin was to aid him (which by the way it would have aided both he and Scott) what was Dan Wheldon doing?

Chris
Old 10 Sep 2007, 15:25 (Ref:2008589)   #42
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
"Max Papis Hall of Fame." - Priceless!
Someone really does need to make a comprehensive list of racing drivers who have run out of fuel on the brink of a major victory. Ones that I know are...

Scott Dixon, 2007 Peak 300 (also cost him the IRL championship)
Max Papis, 1999 U.S. 500 (which sticks out to me the most, because you didn't even realize that anything was wrong until Kanaan and Montoya zoomed through the frame)
Robby Gordon, 1999 Indianapolis 500 (not quite as dramatic, because Robby merely pitted in for a splash and go)
A whole mess of drivers, 1982 Monaco Grand Prix (to believe that someone actually won that race)
Jim Clark, 1967 Italian Grand Prix (made all the worse because he made up a full lap on the field before taking the lead once more)

I know there are many more names that can be added to this list.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 17:55 (Ref:2008689)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I confess, I lost all self control when Dixon slowed down. But hell, I was just so happy. Dario deserved that luck after what has happened in recent races. A worthy champion.

I am still grinning like an idiot as I type recalling it all.

A bit of a clanger from Ganassi though. I'd say one extra lap in Wheldon's draft would have kept that thing going to the line. But they didn't, they blew it and Dario got it.

Superb. That is what sport is all about. Indycar just gets better.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 18:29 (Ref:2008721)   #44
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Dario's luck?

You could argue it was a direct result of him using less fuel than Dixon (which he did race-long).

Was it "luck", or was it the consequence of having superior performance in a critical area?
Old 10 Sep 2007, 18:44 (Ref:2008740)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not about to get into that boring debate Dutton.

Both, I would say.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 19:03 (Ref:2008753)   #46
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I do not see how it can be both. They are quite different things.

It is clear to me that it was nothing to do with "luck", but rather a direct result of superior performance.

If not, well, then I put it down to the Mystical Force of Galiunapa Jyzosaxil.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 19:18 (Ref:2008765)   #47
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it perhaps crucial he was sitting around 4th/5th for the majority of the race behind a few cars.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 03:35 (Ref:2009007)   #48
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought Wheldon did an amazing wingman's job actually. Had Scott's six all day, and amazingly drove until he ran out of fuel to give Scott someone to draft in the final laps. Pity it just came up short.

I hope Chip Ganassi is appropriately grateful for that display.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 03:43 (Ref:2009011)   #49
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's clear to *me* that it was nothing to do with "luck" but rather a direct result of the Ganassi fuel calculator blowing it.

Oh well, the team wins together and loses together. Scott took it well.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2009175)   #50
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, deejay. Not a word of complaint about it from him either.

The only thing I still can't figure out is why Ganassi did not send Wheldon to the front and have Dixon follow. That way he would have saved fuel using the draft.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.