Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Sep 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2009315)   #51
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quotes from Scott on Dario

Quote:
"To be honest, if anybody could win the championship out there, I'd like to see him win it, as he's done. I think he's obviously done a superb job to win a championship."
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=9919

Quotes from Dario on Scott

Quote:
"I think again it's cool that it came down to just Scott and I. There was something about that. We said all year, even with a 65‑point lead, I kept saying it's going to be close. It's going to be close. Comes down to Scott and I last corner, last lap. That pretty much sums up the year."
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=9906

Last edited by NAC; 11 Sep 2007 at 12:44.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 14:32 (Ref:2009374)   #52
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

For the last several races there has been all sorts of posts about and complaining about AGR drivers aiding one another and team orders. There are even insinuations that Danica was ordered to spin, although no one heard any thing on the team radio.
So it is bad when AGR have team orders and aid one another and it is fine for Ganassi to do it?
I do not like AGR but let us be fair here.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2009390)   #53
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall, an exciting race ending up an exciting season; with the only flaw of disappointing Penske's performances.

A positive season for IRL, given the difficult circumstances, boosted by IPS unexpected boom.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:12 (Ref:2009494)   #54
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes. IRL has made me feel better about AOWR this season. It is a reasonably strong series now I feel and it has a really nice mix of tracks to boot. Shame that Michigan is gone for 2008 though.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2009611)   #55
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Reasonably strong? A bit less weak perhaps, but I am not sure the word strong can quite be used yet.

The potential is clearly there, though.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:16 (Ref:2009616)   #56
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Potential is a position of small (perhaps miniscule) strength.

But it doesn't feel like a 110% desperate series at the moment which is a nice change, no?
Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:20 (Ref:2009620)   #57
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree with that entirely.

I think what the IRL has in its favour is that there is strength in-depth at the head of the field.

In order to be truly viable the series requires a generally stronger situation through the rest of the field, but to have such a decent situation up-front is significant.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 06:49 (Ref:2009902)   #58
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A weak rest of the field is typical of every series in the world; I would not blame IRL for Roth racing as long as everybody accept Spyker in F1.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 06:53 (Ref:2009903)   #59
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep the colour of their money is just as good as anybodys but the drivers have still had a qualification process to get there
Old 12 Sep 2007, 07:03 (Ref:2009907)   #60
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
All series have progressively weaker teams performance wise, yes: that is inherent.

The difference between a strong series and a weaker one is the stability and potential of the rest of the field.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2009912)   #61
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Woops forgot which thread I was in. Thought it was the Milka Donunts thread
Old 12 Sep 2007, 07:08 (Ref:2009914)   #62
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Very true Dutton
Old 13 Sep 2007, 02:58 (Ref:2010738)   #63
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
*CONSPIRACY THEORY*

How exactly did Dario get such better fuel mileage than anybody else?

Dixon's fuel mileage was better than everyone else's, but was still several laps off what Dario was doing. The Penske's were nowhere near.

Did Dario have a bigger fuel tank?

It basically decided the championship.

Old 13 Sep 2007, 04:55 (Ref:2010761)   #64
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Nice deejay, I just love a good conspiracy theory.

I have no idea. But I'm sure we could toss it around and talk about it for quite some time. Do you think they will get stripped of the points if found guilty (this sounds like Formula 1)

Has anyone got data on what laps the boys pitted and for how long they were in the pits?
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:29 (Ref:2011473)   #65
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps he was just saving fuel? He got pole, he was just clinging onto the top 5 all day.

He also always took on full fuel as usually Ganassi cars stop the fuel flowing threw when the tires are on.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2015853)   #66
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For that last stretch, Dixon had the lead for a fair bit - knocking the hole in the air - whereas Dario was in the train, with Danica right behind keeping the hole open so he'd not have too much drag.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Sep 2007, 00:42 (Ref:2016351)   #67
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Yup, that's the most likely explanation. I think Dario could have raced a lot faster all day, but banked on it coming down to fuel. And it paid off.

Despite my earlier praise of him, I've since heard some criticism of Wheldon from TCGR corners. Apparently they asked him to lead for Dixon, but he delayed for 4 laps for some reason. That could have cost TCGR the championship. Wonder if he'll be there next year...
Old 23 Sep 2007, 21:53 (Ref:2021309)   #68
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
The cost of losing.

Because Dario won the Championship (or more to the point Scott lost) I had to endure 2 weeks of having Danica Patrick as my Avatar and a statement "Danica Rocks". I'm not sure who it hurt more Scotty or me.

Part of the conditions was I could not discuss why I had her up. Anyway I hope that answered some questions.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 09:44 (Ref:2021560)   #69
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Never bet on the Home Team!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2021586)   #70
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for the words of advice there John.

That was really hard to endure but I have to say I would do it again tomorrow in the same situation. You just got to back your boy.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 21:50 (Ref:2023911)   #71
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did wonder why, however now put up a Dario avatar!
Old 26 Sep 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2023914)   #72
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
No no the deal was Danica, I would have been happy with a Dario avatar but it had to hurt

No pain no gain as they say
Old 27 Sep 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2024382)   #73
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Or better still miss Judd
Old 27 Sep 2007, 16:07 (Ref:2024490)   #74
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterJediDan
A great class act by Danica, at the most. That spin at the end to get the yellow flag was so pathetically fake.
makes no odds, as dario woulds still have won the championship as its clear dixon was gonna run out before dario, so dario would have still beat him for the championship. it nearly actually gave dixon the championship!, as he almost made it to the flag, however it would have been very close on the line if he had made the distance.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 02:24 (Ref:2024809)   #75
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
If they'd both run out it might have been a different story though. I think the Dixon camp probably would have pitted for a splash if not for that last yellow. They knew they were well short. Then, either Dario would have had to pit or run out himself. Either way, Scott probably wins.

Not that I'm suggesting Danica spun out on purpose. I think she has far too much pride for that.

Not to mention that it would have been very hard for AGR to have calculated the length of the yellow to get Dario to the line and not Scott.

Last edited by deejay; 28 Sep 2007 at 02:29.