Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 8 Aug 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1374700)   #1
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engine Legality Checks

Now this is new to us, no-one in our household has ever been quick enough in the past to find themselves winning a championship and so be expected to demonstrate the legality of their engine.
There are various pros and cons to the arguement of whether this should be necessary, but in the end, the driver looks the guilty party if he argues against it and so once challenged their is little way out, even declining the championship would make him look guilty, and in the end, it does clear the air and silence the mutterers.
But the cost? In any civil court the accused, once proven innocent will be awarded costs, but the MSA? No chance, you are simply handed your pile of bits and sent on your way. In the case of someone who cannot build his own engines, the cost of demonstrating his legality must be over a thousand pounds, a bit steep when almost all club championships carry no end of year prize.
Of course this doesn't apply to a protest, we all know how that works and it is a good system, the problem is with the challenge from the championship scrutineer.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1374721)   #2
Lara_J-Croft
Rookie

Lara_J-Croft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was always worried about my FVL as it obviously had an illegal engine when I bought it. I couldnt afford to replace the engine so in the end I exchanged cars with the guy I bought it from.

Im now waiting to see if the seller enters our old car in a championship round and I will be having a word to the scruitineer, after all, I know its illegal but why waste my protest fee when I can get him caught for free
Old 8 Aug 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1374749)   #3
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Lara, how did you know the engine was illegal? and what happens if the scrutineer takes the correct position and tells you to put your money down, after all, if you are so sure it is illegal you would be catching him for free as you will get your protest fee back.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1374764)   #4
Lara_J-Croft
Rookie

Lara_J-Croft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well when you have 220hp out of a so called standard Vauxhall engine you know somthing isnt right. It was a great car at places like Snetterton but there was always the risk that you would get caught.

Everyone that has ever driven this car has been fast proving that you dont need tallent to drive fast in a straight line.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1374877)   #5
gadgit
Racer

gadgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I can drive fast in a straight line, the talent is driving fast round the bends. Or is it that a huge mass in the lower region is required before you can get yourself to push it to the limits!!
Old 8 Aug 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1375122)   #6
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Larry J-Croft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the real Larry Jeram-Croft, who 'Lara' is clearly impersonating I take extreme exception to these posts. I will not comment on the assinuations regarding my driving skills, other than to say I have been competing in various forms of motor sport for over 20 years and my aim is to enjoy myself to the maximum of my ability - limited or not. I have never knowingly won a race, rally or hillclimb in an illegal car. I suggest that 'Lara' whoever you are - you remind yourself what club motorsport is all about.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1375276)   #7
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob, congratulations on Ian's championship win. Is he hoping to step up to a later car now ?
Old 8 Aug 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1375377)   #8
lara_jane80
Rookie

lara_jane80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larry,

I appologise if I have offended you but I don't know who you are. I certainly was not trying to impersonate you and any similarity in our names was pure coincidence.

The car I was refering too was a Formula Ford that I race in Scotland and the FVL which I used to run with my Dad, what series do you race in?

Lara xx
Old 9 Aug 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1375509)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Thanks Kickstart, yes, he would like to but it is the eternal problem of money. The prize for the championship is a free entry into the winter series, but that would still cost probably £15k to run with a team, and as we don't own a twin cam car that would seem to be the only option.
It's a funny business really, it could well turn out to be more fun chasing something than having it.
The cars for sale though, it seems a good time to move on, but quite where to?
Old 9 Aug 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1375716)   #10
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is always a hard decision for talented but underfunded racers as to where to move onto to. The question really comes down to how much money is available and how much enjoyment the proposed series would give the driver.

Britsports looks like a reasonable bet, decent long races and maybe an old national supersports with a bit more power would be fairly competitive ? With the 2 driver format there is always the format of the "gentleman" driver with the pro, which makes paying for it a lot easier.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1383752)   #11
RAY DACKOMBE
Rookie

RAY DACKOMBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ian How About Comming Back To Mono,i Think The Cars You Have Now Are Legal. Or How About A Delara They Are Winning Races This Year