Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1330557)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 Rules from 2008

The FIA has unveiled its blueprint for F1 from 2008 and it gets a big thumbs up from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA

* the introduction of standard ECUs to outlaw traction control, cut costs on electronics and allow the FIA to limit testing

* the introduction of standard gearboxes, with mechanical gear changes and clutches

* a reduction in downforce to 10 percent of current levels with wider cars aimed at increasing mechanical grip

* a single tyre manufacturer to keep speeds in check, increase the sport's safety margin and allow the return of slicks

* the introduction of standard brakes

* the banning of pits-to-car telemetry

* the need for cars to be started by the driver without outside assistance

* the banning of spare cars

* a 30,000km testing limit during the calendar year

* the possibility for teams to purchase chassis off rival teams

Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1330566)   #2
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks man, very interesting. Here's a link to the full text on the FIA site: http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...160605-02.html
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1330568)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good one is that "By stipulating maximum and minimum dimensions cars will be "cleaned up" with devices such as barge boards, flip ups, winglets and other small add on parts removed"
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1330569)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All pretty much excellent except for the single tyre manufacturer. That is a variable I like to have in the sport.

The likelihood of even half of these changes going through is slim in the extreme though....
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1330572)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

There's a lot more than these, knowlesy, these are just some of the highlights.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1330573)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read that story here -

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/17615/

Some very interesting changes for sure, that if all are passed will lead to a staggering 90% savings in costs! I doubt that manufacturers like Ferrari, which depend on their technical prowess, will go along with these changes, especially like going back to manual gearboxes and clutches, after spending so much on paddle shifting technology, which they use in their road cars. One tire supplier? Ban telemetry? No more traction control? Good luck getting these changes made FIA!

These changes, if enacted, will surely change F1 as we know it. Will it help, or hurt the image of the pinnacle of motorsports?

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1330581)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good to see the FIA intend to curb the testing once they have the chance, also great news for people like Trevor Carlin with customer chassis finally being allowed.

I'm not so sure the other rules are entirely necessary to be honest.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1330583)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

It will help the sport by ensuring it has a future, potentially increasing grid sizes and increasing the influence a driver has on the overall package.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1330585)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
There's a lot more than these, knowlesy, these are just some of the highlights.
Are there some bad ones then?

To be honest, I'd be happy just to ban TC and bring back manual boxes and starters.

Downforce cuts would be nice, but to be honest they could just control them to keep them at the level we have this year and I'd be fairly happy. We haven't had bad racing this year have we!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1330590)   #10
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Except for the single-tyre rule, all others seem resonable..but then having a single-tyre would bring down the parameters to just car and driver...might be interesting
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1330591)   #11
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see the return of sticky slicks!!!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1330595)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
I think the only chance the FIA has is if they run a survey on their website with only 3-4 questions and 90% of the public agrees with these changes. This will make the teams think about sponsors etc. I don't think Ferrari or even Williams, Toyota or McLaren will accept many of these unless they see it's vital for the viewers... They depend on us, so as long as it's totally clear that we want this kind of changes, I guess they won't be SO negative....
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1330597)   #13
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastinscully
Nice to see the return of sticky slicks!!!
agreed
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1330598)   #14
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, if that went through i'd be well chuffed

Last edited by Kidzer; 16 Jun 2005 at 17:13. Reason: Bad Grammar :)
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1330602)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

People saying "I don't think X or Y team" will accept these rules are missing the point.

These changes are for 2008 - after the current concorde expires - so the teams either accept these rules, or don't enter F1!

Read the link with the full explanation by the FIA - they clearly are listening, and what they've said makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1330624)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm generally in favour with of these changes, particularly cutting the downforce drastically and getting rid of the gizmos. Being able to buy other people's chassis' is also a very good idea. I do have a couple of issues though
- I like manual gearboxes, but not standard ones. I know they want to keep costs down, but there has to be some room for difference and innovation somewhere;
- Ditto argument about standard brakes.
- Banning spare cars. This would mean that if there was an accident involving many cars at the start (pa '98 comes to mind), there might not be that many cars on the grid! It might also mean that a bad accident in qualifying might prevent drivers from even starting.

Overall, good, though I do have my doubts as to how many of these changes we will actually see.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1330629)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
People saying "I don't think X or Y team" will accept these rules are missing the point.

These changes are for 2008 - after the current concorde expires - so the teams either accept these rules, or don't enter F1!

Read the link with the full explanation by the FIA - they clearly are listening, and what they've said makes a hell of a lot of sense.
It's going to be extreamly difficult for some of these teams to go in a backwards direction though. Teams like Ferrari, and BMW, and Mercedes to a lesser degree, use F1 technology to make their road cars better. What will be in it for them if they can't develop new technology?

It's kind of like asking NASA to go back to the Gemini program and giving up on Shuttle technology. Just isn't going to happen for alot of these teams IMO...

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1330649)   #18
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Yes, the thing is that you can't say "Ferrari, McLaren and BMW can just leave if they don't like the rules", cause then you'll lose 75% of the fans....
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1330659)   #19
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You seem to be under estimating just how much sway Ferrari have in the matter.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1330679)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well we can dream on cant we.... it will be fantastic if such changes are enforced but i doubt the teams would agree to even half of them....

BTW isnt TC scheduled to be banned by Silverstone this year....?(thats what i read somewhere)
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1330718)   #21
eleblanc
Rookie

eleblanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With this kind of rules, I wouldn't care much about what manufacturer think, because they'll have plenty of privateer.

Since F1 has been a technology competition mostly in the last 10-15 years, why don't they put up rules so we can quit using oil. Can the FIA create a championship that would be fast enough to be spectacular but that would not use petrol?
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1330735)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
while the rules seem good its all a little too ambitious. for example a 90% reduction in costs to around 30 mill per team. thats MS yearly salary. so how can a team pay for the rest of their staffs let alone have any room left for materials testing etc.. if F1 losses its ability to attract the most talented people why would anyone want to watch. the olny alternative i can see is salaries coming from outside the operating budget, and if thats possible whats the point of reducing costs if creative teams can find ways around it.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1330743)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
LOL!

I posted more or less these exact same technical regs seen below about 2 months ago stating we should return to the days of 1990 when the cars could race, yet looks modern.

* a massive reduction in aerodynamic downforce, to approximately 10 percent of current levels

* an increase in car width to prevent a corresponding reduction in drag and thereby keep straightline speeds in check

* increased mechanical grip through a return to slick tyres

If these changes go through I will be absolutely totally over the F****** moon, I will kiss each and every one of you, as this is what ive been begging for ever since 1998.

Does this vindicate people like me who have said the grooved tyres / narrow track cars have been a disaster for "racing"?
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1330751)   #24
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I have seen the rules for Formula 2, where are the ones for Formula 1.
Spec Gearbox, Spec Tyres, Spec ECU, Spec Brakes - that isn't F1, not sure what it is, but its NOT Formula 1.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1330766)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit im not all that keen on the standard parts idea, but the rest is fried gold!

Why not give the teams a selection of off the shelf ECUs from companies like X-Trac rather than 1 given to each team?

Im not keen on standard brakes, they should just make the braking distances longer by other means, other materials, smaller pads etc.

Banning the spare car is a bad idea too, as it will rob the public of seeing their favorite driver (on occasions when his car fails) which will then surely lead to disgruntled viewers / spectators, which is surely precisely what they are trying to avoid in bringing in these rules?