Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jan 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2101049)   #51
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
haha JR shows his true colours at last - he is a protaganist for effect! I think that it would be hard to beat John Turner's "spectator's view" - its factual, might not have all the local colour but equally none of the politics. I read his reports even if I dont follow the series. Thanks and keep them coming! I do think that Carol's mag would suit a drivers report especially a midfield one...
Old 7 Jan 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2101110)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, Terence and John; the latest issue of HMRN is 50 pages. Printed on good quality paper, I admit that it has a lot of adverts, but I bet those pay for much of its cost. 28 of those pages are of reports, articles, news, race results and letters. I don't know how that compares to the past since I have only subscribed for a few months and don't have any back issues but from comments above it sounds as though it may be expanding.

I'd probably disagree with John about A/S being like 'Hallo' (Hello?) if I'd ever read the latter but I know my son, Kevin, for obvious reasons, would take offence! However, JR, you have correctly identified what is probably the most single influential impact on the level of reporting now, and that is the sheer volume of motor racing that takes place. Everybody who criticises A/S and other mags for the lack of in depth reporting conveniently ignores this inconvenient truth.

Very kind words from Simon. The truth is that the pictorial reviews started out as a bit of fun, and to me pictures (even amateur ones like mine) always generate more interest than the written word alone. After 2 years or so, it has become a bit of a longwinded chore and I am seriously considering whether I want to do it this coming season; it is surprisingly time consuming and you get to a point when you are trying to keep several events going at once. I'm still doing the WHT and that took place 2 months ago long after I've lost recollection of the dices (no, I can't take notes and take pics!) and interest by viewers has waned.

My comments concerning reviews of the various mags covering historics may have been misleading. I had intended to convey the fact that I/we could identify the events covered, and their depth, each week/month in the mags and readers/viewers could then decide which, if any, they wanted to go and purchase.

Pulling this back fully on topic though; it would indeed be wonderful if a single location whether it be website or magazine could cover every historic racing event but it's not feasible is it? It must be pretty obvious to regulars that my interest in historics is very wide ranging, since I will be at a 750MC or VSCC meeting one week and the Silverstone Classic next, then an AMOC or MGCC followed by Heritage GT. I enjoy it at all levels whether it be pre war cars or Group C. That could never be catered for by one publication/website could it, and as one poster has already said a lot of clubs provide their own publications to report on these events. So you next need to create a set of parameters identifying the events that should be covered by such a publication. I could go on but I've said enough. Basically, it's a great idea but extremely difficult (like most great challenges) to execute. It has however sown a few seeds, I'm sure, even in my old head!

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Jan 2008 at 11:10.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2101184)   #53
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well put John,I must admit to not being a subscriber for quite sometime now,my reason for this is as posted. I would be fantastic to have reports like you'rs on one site,but reports of every event from every circuit? that just aint gonna happen!.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2101186)   #54
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Autosport of 60's was ideal for us on this site but suggest Haymarket can sell a lot more copies in its present form.Its not a reflection of the depth of knowledge of the people who work on the mag but the editorial policy adopted.In a perfect world Kevin and his mate Marcus would probably produce a different type of mag.
Simon-You need to get a reaction or whats the point?
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2101787)   #55
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
The Autosport of 60's was ideal for us on this site but suggest Haymarket can sell a lot more copies in its present form.Its not a reflection of the depth of knowledge of the people who work on the mag but the editorial policy adopted.In a perfect world Kevin and his mate Marcus would probably produce a different type of mag.
Simon-You need to get a reaction or whats the point?
I occassionally buy old Autosports and have a run of motorsport back to 65 (used to be further but I sold a load of them!) they do make great nostalgic reading.
Terence I have to tell you that HMRN is a good mag - it not only reports races reactively but proactively announces forthcoming ones - on several occassions I have managed to get an entry in for a race I know will become oversubscribed after reading about it in HMRN.
JR I am with you on the reaction front! However may I just go on record by saying that in the flesh JR is a mild mannered boke ;o))
Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2101806)   #56
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Somrtimes!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2101835)   #57
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe there should be a smilie with tongue in cheek so we know when JR is being mild mannered

HMRN has expanded its race reports and other articles as the advertising has increased. It is on a high quality paper so the photo images are in themselves worth the price, and no I do not have shares!

[JR I am with you on the reaction front! However may I just go on record by saying that in the flesh JR is a mild mannered boke ;o))[/quote]