Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:35 (Ref:2087542)   #251
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We did also have a number of crates for the larger spares.

You live & learn
Old 12 Dec 2007, 23:33 (Ref:2087571)   #252
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Next time if you want to ship RO/RO put all loose items in 40' container and only roll on car with no bits that are worth pinching. Containers are less damage prone and if well stuffed you can get several cars in one box
That was the original intent for the spares. However, removing a 40' or even smaller container from it's delivery truck at the Speedway involved renting a special crane and insurance charges that would have been prohibitive for this event.

For events like the Rolex 24 those costs have paid by the teams and probably have been shared.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 06:57 (Ref:2087689)   #253
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Ted-Ship container to local forwarders office depot and they would unstuff and take bits to race track.This would be normal shipping practise
Old 13 Dec 2007, 08:07 (Ref:2087715)   #254
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead
Please note, under no circumstances do I hold the CSCC responsible, I believe they did as good a job of possible of organising the trip. This is just a typical example of dishonest workers within the shipping industry.

I believe the cars were insured for loss. We also valued the spares & tools inside the cars but this was probably more to do with customs & excise than insurance.
That's not how it came across, to me anyway.

I suppose the concern is that if somone took the time to remove items well strapped in, then they may have time to unbolt bits and pieces too which is perhaps more of a concern.

Forewarned is forearmed though, so thanks for posting - maybe the lesson learnt is to look into containers and get some people to club together?

Cheers

S.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 12:16 (Ref:2087897)   #255
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Ted-Ship container to local forwarders office depot and they would unstuff and take bits to race track.This would be normal shipping practise
That possibly could have happened at the dock when unloaded but the timing was inappropriate.

The insurance/crane issue was raised by the Speedway.

CSCC investigated the container options then had the crates built.

I was just `the man on the ground' at this end.

Better next time.

Old 13 Dec 2007, 15:21 (Ref:2088015)   #256
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly this has put a bit of a downer on an otherwise super event - but of course we are pursuing the insurance options since everything was covered.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate for this discussion to be between my members and me, so if those of you reading this can let me know the details we will deal with it.

Fortunately, those of us who go Club racing in the UK don't often suffer from this kind of thing - it is still a nice surprise to come back to your tow car and tools etc after being on the pit wall/out there racing and find it all still there.

Looks like at least in the UK the baddies haven't discovered the trusting nature of the average hobby racer!
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:47 (Ref:2088194)   #257
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Dunno about that Sarah, one of our lads had stuff nicked at Combe this season and I always lock most of my stuff away before I go on to the track. Years ago I imported and exported some cars to the US and nothing has changed because things went walkies then too. I would not let it put me off though.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 21:45 (Ref:2089688)   #258
Team Herald
Rookie

United Kingdom
Retford
Team Herald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly it does happen as Mark had his Helmet nicked out of the race car at the Birket race 2 years ago. Sadly put a dent in his race budget as we were all racing the following weekend and needed a helmet. So now everything is locked up
Old 16 Dec 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2089926)   #259
bonson
Rookie

bonson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's disappointing to hear of missing items and I hope those effected are able to get the problem sorted. Personally I was very pleased with the way Wallenius helped us get loaded up with a dead car and the level of security they employ at southampton. Despite having a very unsecured car and potentially valuable items on ready display for the taking the car is as complete as when it left the US. Top marks to Sarah, Bernie, Richard, the HSR and Wallenius for making a great trip possible.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2089952)   #260
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Bonson - good to hear!
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:58 (Ref:2089998)   #261
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Hi

To everyone on the trip I promised photo CD's to - I'm sorry but other events have taken precedence. Basically my mum passed away this week to cancer, and basically my weeks since the trip to the US have been spent in her company, and care for other members of the family.

I still have all your details and cards, and will get the CD's off as soon as things settle down again.

Steve
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2090394)   #262
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sincere condolences, Steve. May your Mum Rest In Peace.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2107488)   #263
davidcox
Rookie

davidcox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that sorry about your mum no problem take care and see you at Goodwood Yours David and Heather