Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2007, 23:18 (Ref:2096820)   #26
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
So, what on Earth was it doing in there in the first place? Is this a distant relative of the Schlumpf's???
Old 1 Jan 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2097655)   #27
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right, finally got round to this thread...

I can never understand how relatively recent cars can get overlooked like this! "Oh yes, I'd forgotten that I had a very rare, special and hugely expensive sports-racer in my barn!" Or: "Oh, that's where I left it..."

Anyway, I have been a big fan of the 917 since I first read about it and saw pictures of it. Indeed, it is probably my favourite racing car ever, which is saying something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba
Seen plenty of GT40's & T70's which are OK but there's something about the 917 that sets it apart - just a shame they're not seen in historic racing in the UK.
I couldn't agree more. T70s and GT40s are superb, but there's something even more special about the 917s. Partly its because you rarely see them racing, but it's also due to the fact that they moved the sportscar performance goalposts by a large margin. I find it amusing that the big 7-litre Fords and Chaparrals were banned, largely due to 'escalating speeds' (that old chestnut) at the end of the 1967 season, and within three years the 5-litre 917 was lapping way faster than the big V8s ever had. At fast circuits the big Porsche was quicker than contemporary Grand Prix cars. Pedro Rodriguez and Jackie Oliver won the Spa 1000kms in 1971 at an average speed of 155mph, including fuel stops, for goodness sake!

One of my constant frustrations since I started going to historic races as a kid is how rarely a quick 917 turns out. I recall a 917-10 at Silverstone one year, but it wasn't driven very quickly, and there was one entered for the Silverstone Classic in 2006 - it arrived but didn't race.

I was very pleased when Bobby Rahal bought one (and was then quick at the Le Mans Legends) but very annoyed when he soon sold it! Barazi and Amaral (I don't recall ever seeing him race, but if he can keep a 917 off the walls at Porto he can't be bad!) have won races in theirs, but I would love to see a quick one in Britain.

I believe Piper still has his white and green machine and Attwood has indeed driven it in South Africa. He told me it didn't run smoothly, perhaps illustrating why they don't race very often. I have a vague memory of someone else driving Piper's car in a Kyalami historic race a few years ago, but I'm not sure who. It led until clashing with one of Piper's Ferraris while lapping it, which must have been excruciatingly expensive for Piper to fix...

Last edited by krt917; 1 Jan 2008 at 17:26.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2099117)   #28
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRT917
One of my constant frustrations since I started going to historic races as a kid is how rarely a quick 917 turns out. I recall a 917-10 at Silverstone one year, but it wasn't driven very quickly, and there was one entered for the Silverstone Classic in 2006 - it arrived but didn't race.
The 917 (silver, shortail) at the Silverstone Classic was seen very briefly on circuit, during qualifying, on the Friday, before the driveshaft broke between Priory and Brooklands.

I recall Derek Bell driving a similar car, in the Historics support race for the 1981 British G.P. There was a rumour he was black flagged during qualifying because he was so much faster than the rest of the field!??

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Jan 2008 at 11:14.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2099381)   #29
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man

I recall Derek Bell driving a similar car, in the Historics support race for the 1981 British G.P. There was a rumour he was black flagged during qualifying because he was so much faster than the rest of the field!??

That would be this one then...
Bell 917

'Anorak on mode'

He put the car on pole ahead of the Obrist 312PB and set a fastest race lap of 1.29.65 that worked out at 117.73mph average.
Lap chart.

I have it in my mind the car had just been rebuilt by Kremer and was used as a template for thier own 917 they had built to compete at Le mans.

By way of comparison the 6 hour race that year had a fastest lap set by Eddie Jordan in an equally old 908 in a time of 1:26,020.

'In period' the 917k's never raced at Silverstone i dont think, a few visits by the interserie 917/10 apart, these lapped around 1.20.
'Anorak Off'
Old 5 Jan 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2100268)   #30
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
The 917 (silver, shortail) at the Silverstone Classic was seen very briefly on circuit, during qualifying, on the Friday, before the driveshaft broke between Priory and Brooklands.

I don't think he was black flagged, nothing on the results I have in front of me.

Derek Bell drove/raced a Porsche 917k (# 62) at the 17th July 1981 Minolta Trophy for Super Sports Cars. He qualified on pole in a 1.31:89, the second person being A.Obrist in a Ferrari 312PB in a 1.32:91. My late father qualified 5th in his Lola T70 Mk3B in a 1.35:74 and from looking at the rest of the cars on the grid the Bell Porsche was easily the best/fastest.

Derek won the race with a best of 1.29:65 with Obrist 2nd, a best of 1.30:38 and unfortunately Dad retired wirth a 1.32:62
Old 6 Jan 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2100476)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
My late father qualified 5th in his Lola T70 Mk3B in a 1.35:74 and ............... unfortunately Dad retired with a 1.32:62
Gregor, was this SL76/148? If so do you have any other results for this car in your Dad's hands. I have him winning the Dubai GP in it (http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....4&postcount=47 ) . Pm if you'd prefer, as it is a little off topic

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jan 2008 at 09:07.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2100654)   #32
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Nordic and GBRM,
The only photo I have, is a slide, as the cars are entering the pits, taken from the grandstand by the woodcote chicane (regular camera, small cars). I've just acquired, on E-Bay, the program for that weekend, should arrive any time now.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2108388)   #33
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found another race with two (!!) 917s, 8th June 1986, Jeyes Hygiene Euro Trophy Raceday Super Sports Tophy at Silverstone.

Richard Attwood won in number 11, a Porsche 917, fastest lap 1:31.0 and in 8th position in number 9, another 917 was Michael Ostroumoff, fastest lap 1:34.52. There were som great cars in the race, a Porsche 910, a Ferrari P2/P3 and a Ferrari P4, plus more in the 23 car field.

N.B. Dad wasn't in this one, was a round of the production saloons so he had to make do with an Opel Monza instead