Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Oct 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2054323)   #1
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want to race in NZ 2009?

I'd like some feedback from racers, car owners, etc on a possible race at a meeting in NZ around February 2009. First things first, it won't be cheap with travel and shipping cars etc but if combined with a holiday and also the Phillip Island event in March it starts to make sense.

I'm an ex-racer who has raced in just about every historic festival there is in Europe apart from the snobby one. I therefore know exactly what you want for your money, lots of track time!!

The meeting would be close to Auckland at a new purpose built facility. Although it goes against everything I believe in, regulations will be lax i.e. appendix K will not be enforced. Local rules are nothing like Europe... More info on classes and regulations can be forthcoming once I've gauged whether it is worht going further with plans.

So come on, ideas, submissions, commitments etc etc, I'm open to hear them all.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 20:32 (Ref:2054348)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Slippy My old man who is 93 has jut come back from NZ last week visiting relatives in Auckland that he hadn't seen since the early 50s. Depending on circumstances and sponsors I could look into it. The only problem is that I'm senile now so what will I be like in 2009 when I'll be 63
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Oct 2007, 21:04 (Ref:2054376)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't need any marshals as well overthere?
Or I have to go racing again soon. Great idea, hope it will work out.

Gordon, don't worry about being senile. I've been that for years now and the good thing is that you meet new people, every single day.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 21:27 (Ref:2054397)   #4
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Slippy My old man who is 93 has jut come back from NZ last week visiting relatives in Auckland that he hadn't seen since the early 50s. Depending on circumstances and sponsors I could look into it. The only problem is that I'm senile now so what will I be like in 2009 when I'll be 63
Who was it that said "you're only as old as the woman you feel" ?

Combined with a holiday it makes sense. The exchange rate at the moment means that you get approx $2.70 for every pound. It's also fairly cheap here in regards to eating out and hotel rooms. A good motel room can cost as little as $60 a night while a good three course meal can be had for around $50 with drinks.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 21:28 (Ref:2054398)   #5
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Naah, plenty of willing volunteers out here.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 09:29 (Ref:2054674)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Who was it that said "you're only as old as the woman you feel" ?

Combined with a holiday it makes sense. The exchange rate at the moment means that you get approx $2.70 for every pound. It's also fairly cheap here in regards to eating out and hotel rooms. A good motel room can cost as little as $60 a night while a good three course meal can be had for around $50 with drinks.
"you're only as old as the last woman you felt" ?

Where? North Island? Taupo? Hampton Downs is finished?

AUD = $1.20NZ atm
Old 30 Oct 2007, 10:43 (Ref:2054744)   #7
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Slippy

I take it your talking about Hampton Downs then?

http://www.hamptondowns.com/

Old 30 Oct 2007, 11:09 (Ref:2054779)   #8
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks good, but weird to know that this hangs upside down. how do you set the floats of a Healey in NZ
Old 30 Oct 2007, 11:21 (Ref:2054788)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Or I have to go racing again soon. Great idea, hope it will work out.

Gordon, don't worry about being senile. I've been that for years now and the good thing is that you meet new people, every single day.

We could also make plans for the Alzheimer's Grand Prix at the Nurburgring next year[Whenever that is] Sorry,who are you?
Old 30 Oct 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2054789)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
looks good, but weird to know that this hangs upside down. how do you set the floats of a Healey in NZ
Can,t remember
Old 30 Oct 2007, 11:46 (Ref:2054808)   #11
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
looks good, but weird to know that this hangs upside down.
I think you'll be fine, I've lived here for most of my 41 years and haven't fallen off so far
Old 30 Oct 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2054812)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, with the Moscow/Sweden thing and this we could be looking at a world tour!

I'd like to be there too but I'd like to know what the races are likley to be.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 12:13 (Ref:2054833)   #13
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Well, with the Moscow/Sweden thing and this we could be looking at a world tour!

Seesalt is of no harm to a Capri?
Old 30 Oct 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2054917)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Back in the 60's a mate of mine took a V12 E-type to New Zealand and had a 6 month round the world trip on the profit, is that still the case?
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2055316)   #15
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Back in the 60's a mate of mine took a V12 E-type to New Zealand and had a 6 month round the world trip on the profit, is that still the case?
Nope. Shipping costs, import duty and GST negate any worthwhile profit.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:17 (Ref:2055322)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The import duty was massive back then but apparently if you could prove you actually owned the car for a period prior to exporting it from the UK then owned it for a while after it was in NZ there was nothing to pay, has that changed now?
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2055324)   #17
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

To start with I'd like a bit of an idea about who/what is interested and I can go from there. In an ideal world, 30 plus cars that can all fit into one race in say... four classes. If they all happen to be Appendix K that would be great. I'd really like to organise a stand alone race that would not need locals to boost the entry.

Yes, they would most likely be at Hampton Downs and Taupo although there are other possibilities.

Ask away people and I'll endeavour to answer all queries while at the same time trying to put some more ideas your way.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2055331)   #18
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
The import duty was massive back then but apparently if you could prove you actually owned the car for a period prior to exporting it from the UK then owned it for a while after it was in NZ there was nothing to pay, has that changed now?
If you sell the car within a certain time frame (two years I think) then the duty has to be paid. It is a complete minefield (no doubt beliberately so) and I would say don't bother.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2055334)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
They must have plugged that particular lucrative loop hole then!
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:47 (Ref:2055350)   #20
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
They've plugged everything!

Anyway, V8s would be more than welcome.......on Dunlop L sections
Old 30 Oct 2007, 23:35 (Ref:2055460)   #21
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
OK, the basic plan would be to run a race here and here. Taupo hosted the 2007 A1 GP round and will do the same in 2008. Who knows where it will be in 2009...
Old 31 Oct 2007, 00:16 (Ref:2055477)   #22
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
My gut feel is Hampton Downs will get A1GP in 2009.

Didn't they get Dick Bennetts to go over it and redesign a few areas to meet the FIA Grade 2 Licence?

Anyway it will be a awesome circuit
Old 31 Oct 2007, 00:32 (Ref:2055479)   #23
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
My gut feel is Hampton Downs will get A1GP in 2009.
I suggested it first

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Didn't they get Dick Bennetts to go over it and redesign a few areas to meet the FIA Grade 2 Licence?
Yep, WSR definitely had input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Anyway it will be a awesome circuit
I hope so. It needs to be very wide if it is to get away from being another kart track.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 02:02 (Ref:2056494)   #24
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Half hour race, one hour race, longer?

One driver or two driver?

Package deal of shipping, entry fees, flights and accomodation for the time you are in NZ?

The above but no accommodation?

Shipping and entry fees only?
Old 1 Nov 2007, 03:16 (Ref:2056512)   #25
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Al--
If you have the odd Falcon GTHO or GTS 350 Monaro lying about it would be worth your while They fetch six figures now,the best GTHO 1971 Bathurst specials A$ 800,000. Crazy people with big money.

There may be some semi-historic collectables which are cheap in England but worth a lot more in NZ or Australia.Any import over 25 years old can drive on Australian roads with lenient Historic rulings,even left hand drive (yes I know you are RHD like us and Japan).

Alternatively XK140 Jaguars for example go off at auction for A$40,000 Australian,ditto say a recent 190SL Mercedes coupe 1959.If they're worth a good bit more in England,how do you go taking something home ?