Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Jul 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3107394)   #1
Pete Berry
Rookie

Pete Berry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BGP 2012 - One Week On - Volunteering for BGP 2013

It is just over a week since the British Grand Prix, but please excuse me for starting a new thread as it is important to take time out to say a number of ‘Thank You’s.

I am sure I can speak for all of the ‘Chiefs’ when I say that all of you who officiated at the BGP deserve a standing ovation! It was great team effort and despite everything that the great British Summer could throw at us, you helped deliver a great event with the greatest of humour, tolerance and understanding.

In the 8 years that I have been the Chief Incident Officer at the Grand Prix, this is the first time that the Race Director has asked to speak to everyone in person. On Saturday Herbie Blash came and asked if he could talk to the marshals over the radio and then on the Sunday morning, Charlie Whiting came and made the same request. These were unplanned requests, hence we were unable to give much notice – a hasty request to the Incident Officers to unplug their headsets and turn up the volume was the best we could do – and to hit the transmit button on the 4 radio networks on my radio panel! Those who heard the transmission will, I am sure, have appreciated a very sincere ‘Congratulations’ and ‘Thank You’ from both.

It was a busy weekend on track and there were many examples of slick incident handling, snatching and debris clearance. Well done everyone! Of course for all the visible work from the various track disciplines, there is a huge army of people behind the scenes, handling similar challenges. The Pits and Paddock teams ensured that the support races were waiting on the Stowe Apron on time (especially important as we pushed through on Saturday following the rain delay), whilst the Spectator marshals we dealing with a crowd who had their own challenges to humour!

Further from the track, spare a thought and a ‘Thank You’ for the camp site team. The security team worked hard all week to do the best they could for us and had to handle several difficult situations. The cleaners looking after the toilet and shower blocks had probably the most soul destroying job of all – I am sure we all felt guilty every time we tramped muddy footprints over floors that must have been nearly worn out from the number of times they were cleaned over the weekend!

There are far too many people and teams to mention all by name, but I have to say a special thank you to the ‘snatch crews’ who, having done three long days, volunteered to put in many more hours helping us all out of the campsite. They were joined by drivers from the racing school who had help keep things moving over the weekend.

Finally, a big ‘Thank You’ to all of you, not just for a great team effort but for the enormous understand and mutual respect and support demonstrated by everyone. The ‘no vehicle movements’ policy in the campsite was largely respected (and made getting out a whole load easier on Sunday) and there were several ‘difficult situations’ over the weekend, all of which were handled with dignity and good grace. The conditions were miserable - soaked in the day, mud everywhere and no real chance to dry out, especially if staying in a tent. Through it all, everyone made the best of it and took a positive attitude rather than complaining. Thank You!

Before I close, I would like to share one other important piece of information. This year I was made aware of a few people who were surprised/disappointed that they were not selected for the teams I am responsible for (IO, Incident, Snatch, Fire Tenders and Breakdowns). It is no secret that we are oversubscribed each year and hence there are always going to be those who are disappointed. Whilst I cannot disclose the details of the selection process, I did look into a couple of these cases and found that some of these individuals were not on the volunteering lists sent to me in advance of the start of the selection process – small wonder that they were not selected! We have to be fair to everyone, hence late applications will not normally be considered, however there is a difference between ‘late’ and ‘mislaid’. This year therefore, the IMS will be publishing on their website a list of all nominations that have been received, prior to the start of the selection process. All applications should be submitted through your ‘sponsoring club’ as usual. The club will then endorse those nominations onto IMS – it is this list which will be published. If your name is missing from this list, you should contact the CLUB through which you volunteered immediately and they will be able to address this with IMS. Do NOT contact IMS directly! Make sure you return your volunteering forms in good time to your clubs and keep an eye on the IMS web site in the weeks between the closing date and Christmas.

Thank you for your support of BGP 2012 – here’s hoping that next year’s BGP is a little less damp!

Pete Berry
Chief Incident Officer
Old 17 Jul 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3107539)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was nice to hear the appreciation from Herbie and Charlie and it is nice of you to take the time to post that appeciative message here too Peter.

It is good to hear that IMS are improving the volunteering system for next year. Fingers crossed for sunny weather in 2013!
Old 20 Jul 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3108967)   #3
paddock.one
Racer

England
Cumbria
paddock.one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, Peter - agree with all of that! Happily I was able to drive out on Sunday evening, but the snatch vehicles did a great job towing off several of my colleagues with caravans etc.
Similarly the Officials' site cleaners, and security guys - we had several issues with the clips on wristbands (IMS note for next year? - I won't go into the choice of colours!) which they sorted immediately.
Our Chief Paddock Marshal Vince Markey passed on the message from Charlie Whiting, which was appreciated by all the team.
Good info also re the volunteering system for next year - I've never had a problem, but know that others have...

MB (Copse Gate Team Leader) my 20th BGP - hope to see everyone again next year!
Old 23 Jul 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3110316)   #4
rossy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Brum
rossy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Pete,

Complete rookie question I know - but where do I go to volunteer?

thanks

Gary
Old 23 Jul 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3110337)   #5
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary - usually through your club. Application Forms should be out in the Autumn.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3113416)   #6
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice thank you message Pete.
we were up there for 6 days and despite the rain & mud,
we went along to enjoy the BGP.
and that we did.
luckily enough we did not need the assistance of the jcb on the monday morning due to a swift walk to the exit to assess the"Best Route Out".
but on the sunday night, we sat in the caravan and raised a glass to the sterling job the JCB boys done in getting people out.
Look forward to BGP 2013 (fingers crossed)
Old 15 Dec 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3178910)   #7
Pete Berry
Rookie

Pete Berry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix Marshals' Nominations

As promised in the original post, the list of Nominations received is now posted on the IMS Web Site http://www.msaevents.co.uk/bgpmarshals.php .

If you submitted a nomination form to your club, but your name is not on the list, contact your CLUB (not IMS) immediately.

Next step is the selection process which will take place during the next few months.

Thank you for your support in 2012, Season's Greetings and here's to a great year in 2013!

Pete Berry
Chief Incident Officer
Old 17 Dec 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3179545)   #8
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooo... am I the only SCCA member to apply?