Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Jul 2017, 01:35 (Ref:3752655)   #551
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What about Dyson winning P-1 in '12? On Dunlops!

L.P.
Is that really a class win? Every time I look at that race, I get a headahce! So I'll take your word for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Just perused IMSA results and no GTO win for Mazda. The only classes in the 12 in '76 were GTO and GTU.

(edit: The Cosmo finished 25th overall, 9th in GTU)

A bunch of GTU over the years; and two Lights wins: '85, Downing and Maffucci in an Argo/Mazda, and '86, Rothbart, Meyer, and Kline in a Royale/Mazda.

(edit II: Sorry field, I see your post now. I missed the Kudzu win and ain't goin' back thru...what year was that? Thanks.)

IMSA GTP Lights Winner: #36 Kudzu DG-1 Mazda - Katz / McAdam / Downing

http://www.racingsportscars.com/race...992-03-21.html
Old 19 Jul 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3752659)   #552
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Or that is in reference to the fact that both teams are done in house so there's nothing for Joest to do?
That's what I picked up. Ralf Juttner is German native so the word choice can come off a bit confusing.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3752666)   #553
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

I wonder if Joest and Mazda will try and switch chassis, or do Joest and Multimatic think they can right the ship on the Riley chassis?
Multimatic already said last month that they will take full control of the Multimatic/Riley chassis program, putting aside Riley. I think the tests that Joest will make at Europe could bring updated information for both cars (Mazda and Riley) to know which areas to improve, but I'm not sure if they have the time to revise the aero of the Riley.

The P2 cars could only be upgraded once in four year, so if they do it wrong the first time, the chassis will be over.

At IMSA it's easier, because they you could upgrade the aero and engine every year, but those parts that are included on the P2 should remain the same for four years, brakes, suspension, cooling system, trasmision. So, if Mazda wants to change something that's part of the Riley chassis, they have to change it in both cars and keep it for four years. I think that's why they have cut the program to test and develop with suficient time ahead.

What will do Visid Florida team now? Buy a Dallara, keep an updated Riley, or run a Mazda?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3752667)   #554
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Is that really a class win? Every time I look at that race, I get a headahce! So I'll take your word for it
You're a real riot field! Pow zoom, to the moon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
IMSA GTP Lights Winner: #36 Kudzu DG-1 Mazda - Katz / McAdam / Downing

http://www.racingsportscars.com/race...992-03-21.html
I didn't catch it in my scan of the results, and I missed the race (vacay used to visit mother and father in , '92) Thanks.

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Jul 2017 at 02:18.

jimclark
Old 19 Jul 2017, 02:51 (Ref:3752675)   #555
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Multimatic already said last month that they will take full control of the Multimatic/Riley chassis program, putting aside Riley. I think the tests that Joest will make at Europe could bring updated information for both cars (Mazda and Riley) to know which areas to improve, but I'm not sure if they have the time to revise the aero of the Riley.

The P2 cars could only be upgraded once in four year, so if they do it wrong the first time, the chassis will be over.

At IMSA it's easier, because they you could upgrade the aero and engine every year, but those parts that are included on the P2 should remain the same for four years, brakes, suspension, cooling system, trasmision. So, if Mazda wants to change something that's part of the Riley chassis, they have to change it in both cars and keep it for four years. I think that's why they have cut the program to test and develop with suficient time ahead.

What will do Visid Florida team now? Buy a Dallara, keep an updated Riley, or run a Mazda?

This is the note from Multimatic http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...programme.html
Old 19 Jul 2017, 20:25 (Ref:3752883)   #556
kevlow
Rookie

kevlow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Thank you for the great link.
That is the first and only explanation I have seen stating why the car is not competitive.
I respect the way that Multimatic is owning the situation and is committed to their customer. Though he was gracious and proper with his words, it appears that Riley is moving on and distancing themselves from the problem.

It sounds like Multimatic and Joest have been working on this already and have a plan laid out to address the issues.

I wish them the very best.

Mazda, Joest, and Multimatic [Lola] have great racing bloodlines and it would be appropriate to see them at the point end of the field.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 22:34 (Ref:3752910)   #557
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can they still change the bodywork at this point? Would be a shame to lose one of the few truly good looking prototypes we've had in a while but I can't imagine Joest would be happy if it compromises the aero.

Also if Porsche pulls out of the WEC I hope they can steal Andre Lotterer, would love to see him racing in IMSA.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 00:33 (Ref:3752928)   #558
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Can they still change the bodywork at this point? Would be a shame to lose one of the few truly good looking prototypes we've had in a while but I can't imagine Joest would be happy if it compromises the aero.

Also if Porsche pulls out of the WEC I hope they can steal Andre Lotterer, would love to see him racing in IMSA.
I don't think LMP2 has the same level of lockdown as LMP3, and I know DPi doesn't. They probably can't change EVERYTHING, but I'm sure they can make a lot of small tweaks that can add up.

I think the only thing they can't change AT ALL is the tub - and even that isn't 100% concrete as changes can be made if potential safety concerns are discovered.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 01:43 (Ref:3752939)   #559
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
DPIs are still under draft homologation, in other words, not truly homologated as of yet. IMSA were also supposed to give an update to what they were doing as far as DPI homologation, but nothing has come out yet.

Also, we have to remember that it's not like Joest can snatch up Audi Sport factory drivers. The only reason why Lotterer is at Porsche and why Jarvis is driving a Bentley GT3 car is because their Audi Sport contracts allow them to race for another VAG Group make should something happen to the LMP1 program. Or in a class where Audi Sport doesn't have direct competition, hence why Fassler does endurance races for Corvette in IMSA and Jarvis races for JC/DCR/Jota in the WEC in LMP2.

As far as I know, all the former Audi Sport factory drivers from last year are still technically under contract to Audi Sport and have been loaned out to GT3 programs, Formula E (though DiGrassi was already there and the Abt team has been re-branded as Audi Sport Abt, but with no real changes aside from increased Audi sponsorship), Porsche LMP1, DTM or other programs with Audi's blessing.

If there was an Audi Sport or VAG supported DPI program, Joest would have no problems with getting Audi Sport factory drivers. But as of now, Mazda have made it clear that they'll be primarily responsible with hiring drivers, which means that next year's line up might be similar to this years. If there's one thing that Mazda has done well with the program it's been the driver line up. The drivers on the team has been as responsible as anything else for the upsurge in success that Mazda had the past few races.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3752948)   #560
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I don't think LMP2 has the same level of lockdown as LMP3, and I know DPi doesn't. They probably can't change EVERYTHING, but I'm sure they can make a lot of small tweaks that can add up.

I think the only thing they can't change AT ALL is the tub - and even that isn't 100% concrete as changes can be made if potential safety concerns are discovered.
I think the LMP2s are stuck, the joker update is available for all but you get one every 4 years and I think it is all inclusive across the chassis at once. Ligier was not allowed to use amended bodywork at LM for the LD configuration as the other teams would not let them use a free upgrade. Unanimous vote was required and why would Oreca allow it. The Mazda DPI specific regions can definitely be tweaked or completely redone, IMSA has yet to finalize any of the cars.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3752956)   #561
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Stock LMP2s are stuck as is in IMSA unless the ACO allows a change. But as the ACO have yet to make a BOP change (in the LMS the three main cars, Oreca, Ligier and Dallara have been equal outside of Le Mans), things are static, and IMSA themselves can't make BOP changes without ACO approval it appears, either.

The only exceptions are if a chassis maker decides to use their one homolgation joker to which they're entitled, or all the teams or car constructors agree to a change. And as we saw at LM, the latter is almost certain not to happen, as if one gets an advantage, they won't voluntarily squander it.

With no DPI being truly homologated, they do have scope to make fairly extensive changes if they desire. Granted, it's kinda stupid to do in a BOP formula, but such things do give options to minimize the impact of BOP, especially if homolgation isn't complete yet. Especially if having to do something less than optimal to promote reliability is hampering performance.

This probably has a lot to do with why Mazda are not racing the cars for the rest of the season.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 04:17 (Ref:3752960)   #562
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Stock LMP2s are stuck as is in IMSA unless the ACO allows a change. But as the ACO have yet to make a BOP change (in the LMS the three main cars, Oreca, Ligier and Dallara have been equal outside of Le Mans), things are static, and IMSA themselves can't make BOP changes without ACO approval it appears, either.

The only exceptions are if a chassis maker decides to use their one homolgation joker to which they're entitled, or all the teams or car constructors agree to a change. And as we saw at LM, the latter is almost certain not to happen, as if one gets an advantage, they won't voluntarily squander it.

With no DPI being truly homologated, they do have scope to make fairly extensive changes if they desire. Granted, it's kinda stupid to do in a BOP formula, but such things do give options to minimize the impact of BOP, especially if homolgation isn't complete yet. Especially if having to do something less than optimal to promote reliability is hampering performance.

This probably has a lot to do with why Mazda are not racing the cars for the rest of the season.
There is a ducting issue (lack of) that needs resolved for cooling.

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3753080)   #563
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Mazda isn't running the cars for the rest of the year because they've gotta transfer over everything from one team to the next as well. The Speedsource partnership ended immediately.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3753150)   #564
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Mazda isn't running the cars for the rest of the year because they've gotta transfer over everything from one team to the next as well. The Speedsource partnership ended immediately.
As Juttner said in an interview somewhere, they will be testing and developing in Europe immediately, as they are still set up with support in Europe. So, cars, engines, etc. have probably collected Frequent Flyer miles already.

I would love to know about budget. One can surmise that Joest would not have taken on the project with an insufficient budget, as the have a reputation to protect. Guessing they will get far more money then Speedsource. Guessing.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3753164)   #565
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As much as we all loved Mazda and kinda loved Speedsource in the plucky underdogs always trying hard kinda way...this was always going to happen. You can't sustain a factory effort with factory branding on those performances. I know they were great guys and tried their best, but they were out of their depth.

I hope the team isn't dead. It'd nice for them to grab a GTD cars and go racing there, or something similar. But they did get a fair crack at this, it isn't like they got binned a few months in.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3753204)   #566
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the Acura return , Will Mid Ohio be back to the calendar?
Old 21 Jul 2017, 01:54 (Ref:3753221)   #567
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
That would be nice to see, it has been too long since Protos have run there.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 02:58 (Ref:3753232)   #568
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
It could work if imsa is willing to have more split class races. I think they can have one or two prototype only races but invite lmp3 teams into the race to have their own trophy that is not part of the regular prototype challenge series championship.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 03:38 (Ref:3753234)   #569
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
It could work if imsa is willing to have more split class races. I think they can have one or two prototype only races but invite lmp3 teams into the race to have their own trophy that is not part of the regular prototype challenge series championship.
It's a good point, it would be great to see protos at Mid Ohio. I think the DPi/P2 grid must be at least of 20 to do it by himself, if not, the P3 option could be a solution.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3753657)   #570
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mid-Ohio needs to comeback
Portland needs to comeback
Barber too
Sonoma replaces Long Beach
Old 23 Jul 2017, 01:09 (Ref:3753663)   #571
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Don't see Long Beach going anywhere. Portland has no funding to get it back in shape for a race, sadly. I hope we get more classics back though.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 01:57 (Ref:3753669)   #572
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Don't see Long Beach going anywhere. Portland has no funding to get it back in shape for a race, sadly. I hope we get more classics back though.
Unless F1 gets Long Beach
Old 23 Jul 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3753776)   #573
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
As long as they don't go back to Miami, especially the track they had there in 2003. Namely that infamous bump leading on to the front straight that even prototypes were catching 6-12 inches of air over. Even the Audis were breaking stuff there in practice that they never did at Sebring.

That would make running the part of the road course that Homestead-Miami excised from their track after they re-banked the turns in '03 seem sensible to run on (it was left out due to cars hitting the banking transition in an awkward manner).

It's be interesting, but there's a reason why the ALMS and CART abandoned running there after 2003, namely teams' repair bills after those races.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3753845)   #574
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As long as they don't go back to Miami, especially the track they had there in 2003. Namely that infamous bump leading on to the front straight that even prototypes were catching 6-12 inches of air over. Even the Audis were breaking stuff there in practice that they never did at Sebring.

That would make running the part of the road course that Homestead-Miami excised from their track after they re-banked the turns in '03 seem sensible to run on (it was left out due to cars hitting the banking transition in an awkward manner).

It's be interesting, but there's a reason why the ALMS and CART abandoned running there after 2003, namely teams' repair bills after those races.
'88 Miami
Old 24 Jul 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3754033)   #575
Rcz
Veteran

United States
St. Pete is more realistic.

Street courses are just expensive problems however.