Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 6 Apr 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1271966)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tripod advice please?

Every year I lug my current tripod (a not particularly wonderful and rather bulky Miranda Titan) over to Le Mans. For the first time this year, we have decided to fly to France instead of catchving the increasingly expensive ferry. I don't want to have to carry this tripod with me.

So I'm looking for something which is (in this order):-

1. Inexpensive (and by this I really mean cheap )

2. Lightweight (as lightweight as possible)

3. But also full size (none of these mini tripod things)

4. Reliable and sturdy enough to hold either a camcorder (no real problem) or my 10D

There's loads of stuff going fairly cheap on Ebay right now (Lots of Alpha 60s for example) but I wonder if anyone would like to recommend a particular make or model?
Old 6 Apr 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1271971)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayse, I have been looking into this myself for the very same reason and I haven't been able to find anything yet. So if anyone idea let me know too.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1271985)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For about 5 years I used a very cheap Velbon - but it was really too lightweight for my SLR, particularly with a zoom on it. To be honest, the head on my Miranda is pretty poor, it really struggles with my EOS and zoom. I want the best of all worlds though, lightness, compactness, sturdiness and very small dent in the pocketness......
Old 6 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1272102)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ayse you can buy camera clamps...basically the top of a tripod/monopod, but with a clamp arrangement instead of leg/s. i used one a few years back and it was fine...fix it to some armco or something similar, fix camera to top, fire away...you might need a cable release though.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1272266)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
ayse you can buy camera clamps...basically the top of a tripod/monopod, but with a clamp arrangement instead of leg/s. i used one a few years back and it was fine...fix it to some armco or something similar, fix camera to top, fire away...you might need a cable release though.

How do I get near armco ker?! I'm just a mere mortal - or are you offering to lend me your press vest?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 7 Apr 2005 at 06:57.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1272334)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
How do I get near armco ker?! I'm just a mere mortal - or are you offering to lend me your press vest?
well i did say "or something similar" ayse...i mean at one point i fixed the clamp to railing on a building where you are sometimes Welcomed...
Old 7 Apr 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1272344)   #7
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
You cant get much cheaper than THIS

My brother has one of these but I am not sure if it will handle the weight of a SLR and lens. Works OK for your normal digicams though.

What kind of budget do you have ayse?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1272369)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
fix it to some armco
Without wishing to take this off topic (and rub in Aysedasi's lack of a media pass further!) with my marshalling hat on can I recommend against attaching anything to the armco. Should a car connect with the armco you'd be amazed how far the vibrations travel!
Old 7 Apr 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1272621)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
To be honest, I'm drawing the line at about £25 (£30 absolute tops), so I'm ruling out Manfrottos and Gitzos etc. etc. There's some good looking stuff on Ebay but the p&p tends to make the new tripods less than viable.

There's a Slik88 on there at the moment which looks good - anyone got one of those?

Otherwise there are Hama Alpha 60s or Star 61, 62, or 63s. I really want something that still quite strudy but I can get in the bottom of my grip (bag) - and a lightweight bag to carry it in would be good too.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1272899)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I don't want to have to carry this tripod with me.

Have you considered a MONOpod? Surely there is one in your price range and they collapse to about 25 inches. The only caveat is to get one with a fully articulated camera mount (standard tripod head). Some of the lower priced ones have the screw for the camera securely mounted on the end with no angular adjustments possible.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1273007)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've had a cullman monopod (with a ball and socket) for years but don't use it that often - no good for long exposure night shots......
Old 8 Apr 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1273009)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
You cant get much cheaper than THIS
I saw that one Jeremy but passed over it as there was just no information at all about dimensions, weight etc.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1273010)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm now seriously considering a cheap Ham,a Star 61. Probably too lightweight, but good size. I'll have a look at a few in the flesh at Jessops and LCM today though.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 07:20 (Ref:1273046)   #14
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ayse, I've been looking to buy a new tripod and I am in the same frame of mind as you - I don't want to spend too much on one.
So looking at the cheap ones on ebay, nearly all of them come with a hook at the bottom of the centre section, as I am normally carrying a bag of some discription I've been thinking, buy a cheap one use a bag for the extra wieght to keep the tripod steady as long as it has a fairly good mount to angle the camera to where ever you want it and if it is no good I've only lost a few quid instead of a lot.
I had a quick look in my local Jessops last week and they had 2 on special offer, they were still around the forty quid touch and did not look that brilliant.
Happy shopping.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1275897)   #15
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayse, its always the same dilema isn't it. You don't want to carry anything heavy and bulky, but sturdiness kinda comes with weight and construction. I'd second either the light and cheap route (with a bag of stuff to dampen its movements down) or the clamp or beanbag route, which can work fine but obviously is limited to where you can place the camera- which a cheap and nasty light tripod can do regardless of its look, weight or height. Last year I didn't even bring a tripod after much agonizing simply because I had so much other crap to lug along and it would have broken the camels back (mine). You could at least borrow a light tripod from someone and do some tests with the hanging bag trick to see if its up to what you'd like to do, as I would think that a tripod would be the most flexible tool for the various viewpoints. The only clamps I'm familiar with are Manfrotto ones we use for improvising lighting situations, but they are kinda heavy, but perhaps there are some lighter ones around and then you could use the head from the tripod on a clamp for places where you could access a railing or something and have both options without too much weight.

good luck searching and weighing the choices.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1276048)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I skipped Jessops and the Arena models in LCE. Didn't like them. I've bought a Hama from Ebay at a decent price. Should arrive today with a bit of luck.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1276054)   #17
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine is a music photographer and uses a loop of string/cable/strap that attaches to the bottom of his camera (you can buy a d-ring that screws into the tripod mount) and then round his foot. Then you simply strain against the loop for steady picture nirvana.

You can't get much cheaper (or useable in a crowd of people).
Old 12 Apr 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1276257)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Ayse, have you thought about some sort of clamp instead. Assuming you can find a suitable fence post or whatever to attach it to.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1276303)   #19
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A mate of mine has a bean-bag which screws into the tripod mount thread onto the camera, you can then balance the camera against any random imoveable object, (fencepost, chair, armco etc.) and then get a half decent shot with a longer exposure.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1276491)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
You mean The Pod - http://www.thepod.ca/
Old 13 Apr 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1276895)   #21
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's the fella.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1277069)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lots of useful advice guys, thank very much.