Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3422921)   #401
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
News suggests Haas has had a change of mind (sort of) and will now have a base in the UK. In the heart of F1 country in fact. Not Italy or Germany as first planned.

North Carolina, US will still be HQ.
As trailered here on #302 nigh on two weeks ago!
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3422935)   #402
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
News suggests Haas has had a change of mind (sort of) and will now have a base in the UK. In the heart of F1 country in fact. Not Italy or Germany as first planned.

I believe there was a sutibale base advertised in Huntington only a few weeks ago, a former motorsport factory.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3422938)   #403
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe we should set up a betting scam to take wagers on what he'll do next
Old 17 Jun 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3423003)   #404
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Maybe we should set up a betting scam to take wagers on what he'll do next
Danica or a Paydriver??

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Jun 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3423035)   #405
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I would have thought that with the extra sponsorship opportunities & interest having Danica driving would make her effectively a Pay Driver anyway?
Old 17 Jun 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3423042)   #406
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I can see Bernie behind the scenes working to make Danica Hass's number two. Presuming Bernie is not too busy with certain other matters of course.

I don't see this team making the grid to be perfectly frank but if it does and Danica was part of that, it would be actually quite amusing.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3423467)   #407
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Mr Haas needs to stop talking to the press, it starting to sound rather like US Grand Prix..
Old 18 Jun 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3423475)   #408
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Mr Haas needs to stop talking to the press, it starting to sound rather like US Grand Prix..
Or rather the motor sport press ought to find something more interesting/newsworthy to report.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3423485)   #409
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

According to this article, from yesterday's Autosport, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114487, Haas talks about shipping cars out from either London or Germany.

I think half the problem with Haas, when talking to the press and it comes across in this article, is he sounds very vague. Whether that's his style or indeed he is clueless, is hard to figure out.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3423486)   #410
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think half the problem with Haas, when talking to the press and it comes across in this article, is he sounds very vague. Whether that's his style or indeed he is clueless, is hard to figure out.
Yes it just sounds amateurish...
Old 18 Jun 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3423490)   #411
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
According to this article, from yesterday's Autosport, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114487, Haas talks about shipping cars out from either London or Germany.

We do indeed seem to be discussing this ad nauseum, and it does very much puts me in mind of the saga that involved Lotus and Quantam. The Haas story just keeps on giving, and there are rumours, denied of course, that Steiner might be splitting with Haas. If that came about, then they would be history.

But Haas has confirmed that he wants a small squad, between 100 to 200 people, because he doesn't want it to cost too much. Now that sounds like he has had a reality check when he spoke to the other team principles in Canada, and they told him just how much it costs to just get the cars on the the grid at the first race.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3423491)   #412
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For a project of this scope, you need to get an idea of the budgets, if the budgets are beyond one's scope, then develop a consortium and if these projections are all feasible, then give the green light.

Best laid plans...of course..but you do need a plan.

Haas gave the green light - or at least he says he has - but all we've got is him shrugging his shoulders and winging it, revolving between half-sober and wildly unrealistic ideas, all vaguely articulated. He's likely trolling us at this point and if so my hats off to him.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3423492)   #413
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It is possible of course that he might have been told that the idea of full customer cars on their way into F1 and to sit tight, run the media around, and not to worry ??
Old 18 Jun 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3423493)   #414
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
For a project of this scope, you need to get an idea of the budgets, if the budgets are beyond one's scope, then develop a consortium and if these projections are all feasible, then give the green light.

Best laid plans...of course..but you do need a plan.

Haas gave the green light - or at least he says he has - but all we've got is him shrugging his shoulders and winging it, revolving between half-sober and wildly unrealistic ideas, all vaguely articulated. He's likely trolling us at this point and if so my hats off to him.
So far there's been nothing about budgets, unless I missed something, it's been mainly about logistics.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3423503)   #415
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
So far there's been nothing about budgets, unless I missed something, it's been mainly about logistics.
Here's a link (the employee numbers are different though: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28257.html

And here's the relevant bit:

Quote:
Haas confirmed to the Daily Mail this week that a small management structure with a limited budget is the target.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3423518)   #416
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Here's a link (the employee numbers are different though: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28257.html

And here's the relevant bit:
Thanks but there's nothing specific about the budget just that there is one; more vagueness.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3423525)   #417
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It is possible of course that he might have been told that the idea of full customer cars on their way into F1 and to sit tight, run the media around, and not to worry ??
Customer cars might not be very far away as there was to be a new rule discussed today (18 June) at the F1 Commision meeting.
This new rule would allow teams to buy in the safety cell which consists of the bit the driver sits in and the fuel tank. I think that is customer cars in all but name bye bye F1 as we have known it for the last 30+ years.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3423534)   #418
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Customer cars might not be very far away as there was to be a new rule discussed today (18 June) at the F1 Commision meeting.
This new rule would allow teams to buy in the safety cell which consists of the bit the driver sits in and the fuel tank. I think that is customer cars in all but name bye bye F1 as we have known it for the last 30+ years.
Correct me if I am wrong here, but customer cars have been always been part of F1 as far back as I can remember, so this idea is nothing new and if it produces good racing and the possibility for smaller teams to actually compete instead of always running at the back of the pack..

The big teams won't want this of course but that is just too bad isn't it..
Old 19 Jun 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3424001)   #419
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Or rather the motor sport press ought to find something more interesting/newsworthy to report.
Very true...
Old 19 Jun 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3424019)   #420
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Very true...
Totally off topic but nice avatar.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 00:00 (Ref:3424026)   #421
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

...became..

Maybe the Haas CNC machines can mill a gold bar at a time into a sewing needle. A bit wasteful, but not dissimilar to the task ahead...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3424243)   #422
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong here, but customer cars have been always been part of F1 as far back as I can remember, so this idea is nothing new and if it produces good racing and the possibility for smaller teams to actually compete instead of always running at the back of the pack..

The big teams won't want this of course but that is just too bad isn't it..
The big teams DO want this. It's Williams and Force India that are constantly against it.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3424255)   #423
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
The big teams DO want this. It's Williams and Force India that are constantly against it.
yes. sadly i would probably put Mclaren in as one of the teams that could benefit from it as well.

its not that im against customer cars mind you, although i do hate the explanation 'we did that in the past'. the amount of horrible things that line of reasoning has been used for should make everyone automatically think twice before using it imo.

anyways my real concern is that we already have a situation where the big teams make disproportionally more in prize money and have access to far bigger budgets.

if that wasnt enough of an advantage there is a proposal which will allow them to increase their revenue stream while directly reducing the money the small teams have.

of course it will be cheaper for the small teams but once you factor in that that money will go to the big teams then you are compounding the problem. better that the small teams spend a bit more to build for themselves then to turn that money over to lets say Ferrari so that Ferrari now have more money with which to spend on their own competitiveness. this will actually increase the divide between rich and poor teams in both finances and speed.

and that says nothing about the big teams making money of the very people they compete against....that to me doesnt sound like a sound business model and almost anti fair sport ethos imo.

of course engines could be used as a parallel and i also have a problem with customer engine deals but as there are less engine manus than chassis builders its a necessary evil we unfortunate have to live with.

sorry for that bit of a rant.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3424270)   #424
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Many are against it for fine reasons. They're constructors and that takes alot of effort and they don't want to be trounced by some chancer that's just pulled a car off the shelf, from Red Bull, say.

If they go down this customer route, they need to incentivise being a constructor and the easiest way of doing this is to debar non-constructors from the constructors championship and ensure that being a constructor is a lucrative activity.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3424303)   #425
davyboy
Veteran

There's no reason to artificially incentivize car construction. Bring in customer cars and change the constructors championship into a teams championship. Construction of cars should be left to those with the means to afford it. Maybe that way we'll have fewer bankruptcies, a more level playing field and some interesting new entrants.

... while we're waiting for that to happen, Williams and Force India can continue rearranging the deck chairs on their titanic.