Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2248299)   #1
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
historic racing on Motors TV

I hope John and th eother mods won't mind me mentioning this. Over on the Motors TV forum I have just started a thread asking them why they don't feature any historic racing - sadly neglected in my opinion. Who wouldn't like to see some HSCC or VSCC action on the telly?? The forum is here : http://www.motorstv.com/forums/car/uk-motor-sport if any of you might like to chip in with any comments. You never know, if we get enough comments, they might actually do something about it. Cheers.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2248304)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a good question.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2248474)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if HSCC or VSCC pay a production company to film it, or find a sponsor to do so, then there's a good chance it will get on. That's how it works.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2248732)   #4
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny that, it always used to be the other way round.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2248777)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I agree whats the paying bit all about, can anyone name another sport where this happens its just one big joke.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2248785)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anyone name another sport where club level action gets regular television coverage?
Old 10 Jul 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2248803)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Depends what you call club level I guess but yes I have seen club level Sunday football on TV infact my son in law played a couple of times and made an appearance. Any Rugby Union game you would have watched over ten odd years ago would have been 'club level' if by club level you mean none paid amatuers. Then there is athletics and marathon running etc etc. Surely if a guy is running a car in motorsport trying to put on a bit of a show he is not expected tos hell out even more just to have it on TV, surely the TV program makers should pick up that part of the tab, dont get it sorry.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2248899)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Well, I certainly haven't seen much Sunday league football or domestic club level athletics on TV; and you can't really argue that pre-professional era rugby union is club level Al, it was still the top level of the sport below International.

The point is that club level racing of the type usually run by HSCC, VSCC, or as you have mentioned CTCRC, is many rungs below the pinnacle of the sport. It has no right to be televised really, and that includes the stuff that I am involved with. There's no commercial sense in a broadcaster paying to cover club motorsport because they would lose money in doing so - rather than show some HSCC racing they can show the Danish Tractor Pulling again for minimal extra cost.

Nobody is saying that anyone IS expected to shell out more to be on TV - if they don't want to be, they don't have to compete in a championship or series that does...
Old 11 Jul 2008, 06:48 (Ref:2248995)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Non-terrestial channels we are talking about Ian and the Sunday league soccer programs were on those type of channels the same type of channel Motors TV is, for eg. the programe I was talking about was hosted by Justin Fashinu. I used to play rugby and we got quite far in the Middlesex 7's if we had reached the playoffs we would have been televised. On a motorsport front club racing was shown I have two tapes here one from Anglian TV featuring a ModProd race and a 2nd by Irish TV featuring our ModProd visit to Mondello, we did'nt pay a dime for either why should we? Ralltcross was highly featured on TV as has banger racing and Hotrods in the past all amatuer, no I think you are barking up the wrong tree this paying thing is a recent phenomina and should be discouraged.

BTW you talk of rights to be televised is that not the mindset problem, if we or you put on a damned good entertaining and interesting race then in my book as a competitor and a spectator the right has been earnt, I have watched many club races that an F1 race could'nt hold a candle to.

You also talk of no one having to shell out, sure thats true but if you have built a car for that championship and like that championship and want to be a part of it why should you just walk away because someone organising decides to sell their soul to the devil with your money, sorry don't get that either.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2249029)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When we raced at Silverstone recently, we had to sign a disclaimer if we had a camera on the car that the footage would never be broadcast/webcast/w.h.y. or we'd pay them a £25k royalty fee.

WTF is going on with this sport? How are we supposed to entice people to race if we can't show the world how much fun it is? Surely Sillystone can see the marketing advantages of their track being seen aound the world? surely their sponsors would like their name to be broadcast high wide and handsome?

Paying for TV - Gawd, the MSA should be doing this as part of their marketing campaign .... perhaps supported by the circuits & clubs to ensure their own brand is pushed fastest.

Personally I can't give a tinker's cuss whether I'm on TV or not, but imagine the effect on youngsters if they realise you can:

race cars WITHOUT having spent your puberty in karting
use cars they relate to
actually do it just for fun

The "Hamilton Effect" only inspires professional racers, we need to show people that one can have a great time without aspiring to be F1 Champion. And who knows, more entries = cheaper fees! (OK, fat chance!).

sorry, rant over.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2249214)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Good rant well said!
Old 11 Jul 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2249331)   #12
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, I rather like it when I'm on TV and actually record it for posterity. I accept that I may be considered a saddo, but others may consider me truthful.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2249347)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad or what ?
Actualy,I was given a DVD from LeMans 24hr support race 2005.I was very fortunate in being asked to drive a pretty historic DB2,there is a fantastic bit of footage of me waving Mr Herbert through and of him acknowledging it.[Yeah,I know]
Old 11 Jul 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2249372)   #14
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The Silverstone Classic will be shown LIVE on Motors TV this year, with the whole weekend covered in full (aside from a quick dash to cover DTM)....
Old 11 Jul 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2249376)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Excellent, I must subscribe.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2249395)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've been on several televised events over the years and have run the camera in the car on a few occasions. The problem as far as I am concerned is that if you aren't in the first 2 or 3 cars, then the nanosecond you might be seen hardly makes it worthwhile. So it does tend to stick on the top class although (as we know) the other classes can drive just as well and more often than not better!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jul 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2249413)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure my ego would be flattered if I were on TV, and my friends would all have DVDs of it for Christmas - but being televised is not my primary motivation for choosing a series.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2250464)   #18
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been trying to find a way of televising the Swinging 60s (and other CSCC Series) for two years - but we have to pay for the production costs.

Once it is televised, you can sell the advertising around the programme (and branding on the programme) but until you have a product to show people, they won't buy.

I have a production team who have an agreement with Motors that the programmes would be broadcast euro-wide, not just on Motors UK, BUT we still have to pay for the production.

Very frustrating - one day I'll manage it!!!!! It's that old chicken-and-egg thing I guess.

And I don't want to do it for people's egos, although they can enjoy that if they want - but to make MONEY for the Club!

Sarah H (Former CSCC Chairman but still trying to get TV!)
Old 14 Jul 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2250474)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just think,its how Bernie gained soooo much control over everything!!!
Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2250922)   #20
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sarah, I remember the tv crews at Snetterton last year, they were quite active in the assembly area, would they not release any race footage from that?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 15 Jul 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2251427)   #21
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had it - they were filming the Elise races, and we bought the footage from them. It has been edited by my mates and we have some material to use at the Autosport and Race Retro shows, but doing anyting more than that would cost thousands.

One day...