Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 11 Nov 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2788684)   #1776
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
This tells us that the people of 10 Tenths like to argue round in circles. I eagerly await round 3 next year...assuming Webber doesn't go to Renault.
I wonder if the Kubica vs Webber round 1 thread will be quite so popular
Old 11 Nov 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2788750)   #1777
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Also I've just noticed this thread has the 3rd highest number of posts in the F1 forum, behind only the Spygate thread and last year's silly season thread

I am proud to have started such a monolith
I'd be embarrassed.

Quality not quantity.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2788788)   #1778
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'd be embarrassed.

Quality not quantity.
That's where my "Good job" went for...
Old 12 Nov 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2789049)   #1779
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I wonder if the Kubica vs Webber round 1 thread will be quite so popular
Dare I say that it wouldn't take long to come to a conclusion?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Nov 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2789057)   #1780
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So you are saying Kubica is better than Vettel?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2789086)   #1781
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I certainly think that the gap between Kubica and Webber would be vaster than that between Vettel and Webber...so yes, I suppose that is what I'm saying. Obviously I have no scientific evidence for it as we haven't seen them race in the same team, but I have a suspicion that Kubica would be just as fast but would make less stupid errors.

Does this mean we need a 'Vettel vs Kubica' thread?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2789089)   #1782
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I certainly think that the gap between Kubica and Webber would be vaster than that between Vettel and Webber...so yes, I suppose that is what I'm saying. Obviously I have no scientific evidence for it as we haven't seen them race in the same team, but I have a suspicion that Kubica would be just as fast but would make less stupid errors.

Oooh, hoo hoo.......

What have you started R's G ??!!!
Old 13 Nov 2010, 03:44 (Ref:2789462)   #1783
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Oooh, hoo hoo.......

What have you started R's G ??!!!
A fishing expedition?
Old 13 Nov 2010, 04:36 (Ref:2789473)   #1784
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That's a big call considering Kubica still doesn't know how to win... simply because he has never won a GP.

Suffice to say, like anybody else with an opinion, I completely disagree with you.

Kubica may be making less mistakes than Vettel but Vettel is not competing mid pack where there isn't the same pressure to excel. Kubica isn't ever expected to win, just beating his team mate will do.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 04:37 (Ref:2789474)   #1785
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Does that mean you rank Quick Nick ahead of Vettel as well, seeing how equal Kubica and Heidfeld was during their years at BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
That's a big call considering Kubica still doesn't know how to win... simply because he has never won a GP. ....
Actually, he did won that GP in Canada in 2008 or whatever when Hamilton crashed into Kimi at the end of the pitlane. During red lights.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2789475)   #1786
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
del
Old 13 Nov 2010, 04:57 (Ref:2789478)   #1787
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Actually, he did won that GP in Canada in 2008 or whatever when Hamilton crashed into Kimi at the end of the pitlane. During red lights.
Thanks for that. Without looking it up, I decided to stick to my sometimes unreliable memory... but my point still stands. Kubica is a proven mid pack runner and does indeed have potential. But to place him ahead of Vettel in terms of talent, based on opinion alone is... ummmm...
Old 13 Nov 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2789558)   #1788
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Only thanks to team orders, when after the SC Heidfeld and Kubica were on different strategies with fuel levels, Nick heavier than Kubica. With Hamilton and Kimi out when the SC came in Nick was leading the race. When Kubica got within a few car lengths of the heavier Nick, Mario Theissen asked for Nick to allow Kubica past because RK was lighter and so faster. Nick did not delay and immediately did the team thing, and at the very next corner waved Kubica through.

Kubica pulled away but not very fast and by the time all of the pit stop sequence was finished and Kubica made his stop, he rejoined maybe only 1 or 2 seconds ahead of Heidfeld, with them in a BMW 1-2 situation. They were told to hold station by Super Mario, so Kubica held his position and nicked the win.

Had Heidfeld not slowed immediately for Kubica to pass, even if only for one lap, then Kubica would have been able to make the gap he needed to pit and rejoin in the lead. He would have rejoined behind Heidfeld.

In effect Nick gave up what would have been his only (to date) GP win, a race he was comfortably leading. He was leading and would have finished in the lead had it not been for the order to let Robert pass. Robert would certainly without the team help not have been able to pass Heidfeld in such a timely fashion as when Nick waved him through. Actually it was into T1 and Nick braked very early and stayed very wide so Kubica could do it without risk.

So yes maybe Kubica has won a GP and Nick has not but that result is a contrived one. Nick was the true race winner that day, not Kubica.

Last edited by E.B; 13 Nov 2010 at 09:45.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2789685)   #1789
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmmmm. From the looks of it, it looks like the young scamp Vettel has it. Certainly in the second half of the season he has been the stronger. I think he is probably the best qualifier at the moment.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2789734)   #1790
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vettel has imposed himself on Webber over the last few races and it showed on Mark's face today. I think Mark is realising that Seb is basically younger and more talented than he is. I guess that hurts.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2789750)   #1791
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel has owned Webber since SPA.

But the Renault engine owned Vettel in Korea.

So eventually when Webber goes to Renault technically Webber owned Vettel.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2789798)   #1792
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You don't get points for qualifying, though.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2789821)   #1793
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Only thanks to team orders, when after the SC Heidfeld and Kubica were on different strategies with fuel levels, Nick heavier than Kubica. With Hamilton and Kimi out when the SC came in Nick was leading the race. When Kubica got within a few car lengths of the heavier Nick, Mario Theissen asked for Nick to allow Kubica past because RK was lighter and so faster. Nick did not delay and immediately did the team thing, and at the very next corner waved Kubica through.

Kubica pulled away but not very fast and by the time all of the pit stop sequence was finished and Kubica made his stop, he rejoined maybe only 1 or 2 seconds ahead of Heidfeld, with them in a BMW 1-2 situation. They were told to hold station by Super Mario, so Kubica held his position and nicked the win.

Had Heidfeld not slowed immediately for Kubica to pass, even if only for one lap, then Kubica would have been able to make the gap he needed to pit and rejoin in the lead. He would have rejoined behind Heidfeld.

In effect Nick gave up what would have been his only (to date) GP win, a race he was comfortably leading. He was leading and would have finished in the lead had it not been for the order to let Robert pass. Robert would certainly without the team help not have been able to pass Heidfeld in such a timely fashion as when Nick waved him through. Actually it was into T1 and Nick braked very early and stayed very wide so Kubica could do it without risk.

So yes maybe Kubica has won a GP and Nick has not but that result is a contrived one. Nick was the true race winner that day, not Kubica.
...and how much were they fined for using team orders again?
Old 13 Nov 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2789824)   #1794
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Not as such, though it does impact massively on where you finish!
Old 13 Nov 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2789842)   #1795
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Not as such, though it does impact massively on where you finish!
Not necessarily, many things can happen during the race.
Most people seem to act as if qualifying on pole means an automatic victory, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
...and how much were they fined for using team orders again?
Ofcourse they weren't fined for using team orders, they're not called Ferrari, after all.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2789845)   #1796
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
No, but where one driver gains a massive psychological advantage, the other driver probably suffers a blow of the same magnitude.

It's only qualifying but if you don't make up places before the first corner of the race, you are having to battle more [drivers], and use more of your car to make gains.

It goes without saying.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 23:00 (Ref:2789847)   #1797
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber needs a Button at Brazil 2009-type performance, but he also needs Alonso's race to go very wrong.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 00:01 (Ref:2789874)   #1798
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Webber needs a Button at Brazil 2009-type performance, but he also needs Alonso's race to go very wrong.
In reality all three contenders need alonso's 'perfect race' to somewhat less than perfect, although to varying degrees.
alonso is in the box seat. all he has to to do is drive. Hamilton and Button may inadvertently be the spoilers to a Brazil type race and result.

Webber has made a couple of errors, but basically two that may cost him the title. Korea and Q3 at Yas Marina. Korea was a major error, Yas Marina may have simply been a poor team qualifying strategy call.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 00:15 (Ref:2789875)   #1799
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
But that still wouldn't be enough!!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2789879)   #1800
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's official - Petrov is now the best driver on the grid in quali anyway!!!