Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Oct 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3937312)   #5501
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well I reckon it goes back to chariot racing, when the Brits painted their horses red to fool the locals.......

Carry on....
Old 28 Oct 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3937316)   #5502
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I would say you can't - I saw it first! However, I'm already in the process of buying an Alfa GT.

Should anyone be interested in any of these cars at the nmc auction, as its less than anhour from me and there are lots of "interesting" vehicles - well, interestig to one of my age, I might wander over to have a look at them - if anyone wants me to check anything in particular, give me a shout!
Old 28 Oct 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3937318)   #5503
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Not that Donington was much better in the early afternoon. I think I probably had the best viewing opportunities sitting at home on the warm and dry.

I was surprised about how many cars seemed to be running without lights on - at both events.

It was specifically mentioned in our briefing that drivers should have lights on, but as you say there were quite a few that didn't - I nearly took out a BMW that was overtaking me close behind another car - with no lights on I only just saw him as I started to turn in.....crazy!
Old 28 Oct 2019, 11:53 (Ref:3937320)   #5504
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't recall where I read that about MG and am quite happy to accept the Merc solution above. That said I have a print by Brian De Grineau of the K3 driven by Count "Johnnie" Lorani on my dining room wall. Signed by the Count as well. The car is green so it may disprove my point.

Going back to the EV thing, the Telegraph has started a series today concerning the growth of EV s and when the tipping point will occur. They seem to think it will be around 2035. Way past when I will be interested. In support of Tel's points they do say that the European "grid" will need upwards of 630Bn Euros to upgrade it to cope with full EV usage. And they also suggest batteries have plateaued so the costs of replacements will still be significant in 10yrs.

But they also think that running costs will be/are significantly less than the equivalent ICE powered vehicle.

Here's the link but I think it's behind the paywall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...d=tmg_share_em

Edit: BTW EB that Merc is stunning.
Old 28 Oct 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3937343)   #5505
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Targa was won by Clemente Biondetti in a Le Mans Replica Frazer Nash in 1952 or 53 (easy to check). I always thought that was a fantastic result.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3937444)   #5506
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You are right that an FN brilliantly won the Targa, but it was 1951, and my source (Targa Florio by David Owen, published 1979) says it was Franco Cortese driving.

However Biondetti did win in 1948 & 1949, both times in a Ferraris and shared driving.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 29 Oct 2019, 09:49 (Ref:3937448)   #5507
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Peter, do you know if KOY and JOY had a similar chassis, it seems strange that Lionel preferred the open wheel concept to the Barchetta, if that was the main difference. Even so KOY is also a good looking motor car. I have pictures from Goodwood I could look out if you wanted some.

Regards,

Bob
Bob

They were certainly similar chassis, similar construction/square tube sizes etc.

But it has been suggested that one or the other or both were based on recycled 500 chassis so there will be detail differences.

KOY had details that were only on the earliest 500s.
Somewhere says JOY was based on "an old 500" chassis.

Another possibility is that when Cooper made the Cooper-MG sportscar chassis they were new but based on the older design...

As with most things Cooper I think it's hard to be sure of anything!

Peter
p.s. photos of KOY are always appreciated.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3937486)   #5508
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
You are right that an FN brilliantly won the Targa, but it was 1951, and my source (Targa Florio by David Owen, published 1979) says it was Franco Cortese driving.

However Biondetti did win in 1948 & 1949, both times in a Ferraris and shared driving.
Thanks for the correction John, I could have checked (should), but I am getting careless in my old age. I remember reading about the victory in the Autocar, and being very impressed, For me the Targa and the Mille Miglia were proper races, typical Italian heroic in scale, yet in the Miglia drivers entered in Fiat 500's and similar cars. Crazy!.

Regards,

Bob.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3937496)   #5509
bauble
Veteran

England
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FPenrHUkmWLspcYn7

Peter, a link to a few images of KOY, I may have more, and if I find them I will add them to the album. You can download from the site.

Bob
Old 29 Oct 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3937535)   #5510
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FPenrHUkmWLspcYn7

Peter, a link to a few images of KOY, I may have more, and if I find them I will add them to the album. You can download from the site.

Bob
More added. Is the other Cooper MG the ex-Peter Reece car do you know?
Old 30 Oct 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3937587)   #5511
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It appears that despite my motor racing, my meat eating and my drinking, my most heinous crime is that I have a potentially life-threatening disease and take inhalers to control it.

Let's just reduce the numbers of the human race, starting with experts, activists and politicians. See, there's plenty of resources to go round now, the most green we've been for years

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30 Oct 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3937614)   #5512
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It appears that despite my motor racing, my meat eating and my drinking, my most heinous crime is that I have a potentially life-threatening disease and take inhalers to control it.

Let's just reduce the numbers of the human race, starting with experts, activists and politicians. See, there's plenty of resources to go round now, the most green we've been for years

When I heard about this on the radio this morning I thought that inhaling a powder like substance instead didn't sound like the sort of thing that asthma should be doing?
Old 30 Oct 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3937700)   #5513
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Has any of you watched channel 266 Sports Channel Network ? they have a motorsport section and I watched a Spa Classic from earlier in the year.
Having just returned from Spain for a couple of months I have never seen it before as my SmartTV over there won't show freeview without spending money or trying to beat the system with a VPN that actually works
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Oct 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3937703)   #5514
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Has any of you watched channel 266 Sports Channel Network ? they have a motorsport section and I watched a Spa Classic from earlier in the year.
Having just returned from Spain for a couple of months I have never seen it before as my SmartTV over there won't show freeview without spending money or trying to beat the system with a VPN that actually works

Prompted me to do a check and it doesn't seem as if we can get that on Freeview oop North
Old 30 Oct 2019, 19:20 (Ref:3937707)   #5515
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Prompted me to do a check and it doesn't seem as if we can get that on Freeview oop North

It would seem as though it is only available to those with internet connected televisions. See: https://sportschannelnetwork.co.uk/
Old 30 Oct 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3937719)   #5516
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It would seem as though it is only available to those with internet connected televisions. See: https://sportschannelnetwork.co.uk/
Yes my TV is connected to the internet and I tried it on terrestrial Freeview just now and it said "not available" however you can get a free AP for you phone/tablet or whatever and watch it on line
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Oct 2019, 22:34 (Ref:3937727)   #5517
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We had to get a taxi in Estoril this morning . One of the lads from Mike team used his App on phone for Uber . Blooming brilliant . Best thing since the micro wave oven .
Old 30 Oct 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3937729)   #5518
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We had to get a taxi in Estoril this morning . One of the lads from Mike team used his App on phone for Uber . Blooming brilliant . Best thing since the micro wave oven .

It came with breakfast?
Old 31 Oct 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3937763)   #5519
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It came with breakfast?
Uber Eats (it's a fast food delivery service).
Old 31 Oct 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3937776)   #5520
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just rolled up at a damp and cold kart track "somewhere in the Midlands". How I envy you Globetrotters in the warm of Portugal!

Old 31 Oct 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3937778)   #5521
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Why are you in Estoril? No wonder you needed a taxi!
Old 31 Oct 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3937802)   #5522
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
No no no . Just needed to get to super market
Old 31 Oct 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3937809)   #5523
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
But you're in Portimao aren't you?
Old 1 Nov 2019, 07:00 (Ref:3937913)   #5524
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Pete , I left the truck at Estoril a couple of weeks ago . We drove back with two more cars “ van and trailer “. Collected truck and carried on to Portimao. Just having a stroll along sea front now .Very nice . Happy November everyone
Old 1 Nov 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3937941)   #5525
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy November everyone[/QUOTE]

Blimey, where did that year go?

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 1 Nov 2019 at 10:20.