Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Sep 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3306960)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood, 72nd Member's Meeting - March 2014

I received an e mail from Jack Tetley, Motorsport Competitions, Goodwood. He was inquiring as to the progress of my car and also to let me know that next year Goodwood will hold an "out of period" race for original Group 1 cars. As with mine there are quite a few either being restored or stuck in barns!

So, with this event in March and the Motor Racing Legends races I'm looking forward to next season.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3306964)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There were a lot of lapel badges being worn at the Revival carrying the number 72, signifying that the March Meeting would be the 72nd members meeting to be run at the circuit. Apparently Goodwood can hold four days of full blooded racing each year and as the Revival only uses three this mops up the fourth, or so I was told by one who should know.

Mind you Goodwood in March is not the most attractive proposition I have heard.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3306967)   #3
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Apparently Goodwood can hold four days of full blooded racing each year and as the Revival only uses three this mops up the fourth, or so I was told by one who should know.

Mind you Goodwood in March is not the most attractive proposition I have heard.

My understanding is that the licence for Goodwood allows 5 days of racing. The March meeting is scheduled for the last weekend of March (29th - 30th) with qualifying and the first races on Saturday and racing for the whole day on Sunday.

Only GRRC members allowed......

Last edited by Brian A; 21 Sep 2013 at 09:58.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3306987)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
My understanding is that the licence for Goodwood allows 5 days of racing. The March meeting is scheduled for the last weekend of March (29th - 30th) with qualifying and the first races on Saturday and racing for the whole day on Sunday.

Only GRRC members allowed......
Probably most people have learnt not to rely on bauble for information, although it was a GRRC member who advised me of the significance of the 72.

I wonder if the media can sneak in?
Old 21 Sep 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3307017)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep 5 racing days allowed.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3307031)   #6
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's what is likely to be on

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/members-me...the-races.aspx

Interesting couple of days.

Bladders...........
Old 21 Sep 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3307106)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The last weekend of March....

I was reading bumph about this at the Revival.

The last weekend of March...

I can forgive the silliness of spectators being divided into "houses" to play party games.

The last weekend of March....

I like the idea of there being no VIP areas at all - that would make a change.

Look, I've stood in snow at Silverstone, Thruxton, Brands and Snetterton in my time.

But last year, during the last weekend of March, we couldn't get out of our village for a week for the six-foot snowdrifts.

What are they thinking?????
Old 21 Sep 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3307113)   #8
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Anyone like to bet on this developing into another public event...due to public demand, etc.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3307156)   #9
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Anyone like to bet on this developing into another public event...due to public demand, etc.
At Ā£120 per ticket for a 2 day ticket, I think I will pass on this one
Old 22 Sep 2013, 05:25 (Ref:3307269)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
March events this year were hit by the bad weather, so it is a risky time to stage this. But season get very busy soon after...

I also wonder how many Group 1 saloons are out there race ready to fill the grid? And how many of the owners are GRRC members? There is a waiting list to join!

Do I push on with my Mk2 RS2000 project and put in an application for membership?

Old 22 Sep 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3307273)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Specifically I was told.that tbey must be original cars like my Rover. As to cars available, we reckon that we can mine up and running, there's a Golf nearly ready. Three Dolomites in re build and one already running. There's the PMS Rover and we know that at least one CC Capri is ready in Belgium. I'm certain that a reasonable grid could be assembled.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 06:14 (Ref:3307276)   #12
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think an important question for entrants will be:
Will salt be used on the track in the case of frosty/icy conditions?

Remember the letter from RW to JP this year!
Old 22 Sep 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3307284)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
If there's any need for this to be commercial it will either have to be eye wateringly expensive for a few or merely pricey for lots of people. And I can't believe that the Estate wouldn't want it to be a financial success.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 06:54 (Ref:3307285)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
At Ā£120 per ticket for a 2 day ticket, I think I will pass on this one
Ā£60 per day is merely pricey. There are lots of activities more expensive and less exclusive.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3307286)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Specifically I was told.that tbey must be original cars like my Rover. As to cars available, we reckon that we can mine up and running, there's a Golf nearly ready. Three Dolomites in re build and one already running. There's the PMS Rover and we know that at least one CC Capri is ready in Belgium. I'm certain that a reasonable grid could be assembled.
That's 8 cars.... Hardly a reasonable grid. Others have tried and failed!
Old 22 Sep 2013, 07:46 (Ref:3307288)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I was only talking about those I know of. Agreed that number would hardly constitute a grid. And indeed others are trying as you know.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3307353)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Silly elitism and attitudes against none orginal saloon cars will assure its failure, how can any old race car that will have had roll cages changed from orginal alloy and probable reshelled in many cases ever be concidered original is it because of a silly 2" id plate rivitted on that may have come from the orginal car, all a bit daft.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3307495)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Of course the opposite may apply too.

However, as I understand things I believe the organizers would be interested in cars built to group 1 spec but not originals. Rather like a number of cars that race at the revival. As long as the specification and livery is correct there would possibly be room for the cars. So Mike, keep on with the RS2000, and likewise I believe Delta was building a similar car. There you go, the grid has possibly increased already.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Sep 2013 at 16:33.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3307708)   #19
datapost61
Rookie

datapost61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also got notice of the group1 race.

As a non-techie can someone help me out with regs for group1/appxK?

I'm not sure if #61 can be retro fitted to be compliant but it would be worth a go for the pleasure of taking part.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3307907)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think you need App J and the RAC yearbook applicable to your car 1982(?)
Old 23 Sep 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3308081)   #21
datapost61
Rookie

regs

1980 is the year - had a google around the fia site and found appx j for the year. It referred alot to 'as homologated' which I couldn't find!

Does appx K effective supercede the original regs or will it just refer me backwards!

confused.com!
Old 23 Sep 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3308100)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
App J requires the car to comply with its homologation certificate. You can get that from the MSA. Not sure of the relevance of App K other than for the safety stuff which will be more modern than the App J for 1980.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3308158)   #23
datapost61
Rookie

Many thanks - I'll start digging
Old 23 Sep 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3308162)   #24
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots are said every year on this and other forums about event clashes, particularly in the same areas of the country, and why cannot clubs talk to each other and try and avoid such clashes.

So, we have Goodwood last weekend of March, presumably BARC organising. BTCC first round Brands Hatch, presumably BARC organising, same weekend!! I know from a competitors viewpoint, and probably for the spectator demographic, there is no clash. But, from the marshalling point of view it is an important clash. One or other event may well suffer as many of the same marshals (both South East based and travelling), both BARC members and non members, would in the normal run of things do BTCC at Brands and any Goodwood meetings. I suspect that the older marshals (anybody over 50, and mainly flags and Post Chiefs) will opt for Goodwood, and the younger element (under 50, and mainly track and I,O.'s) will support the BTCC circus. I will probably have my BARC membership rescinded for saying this, but this clash is utter stupid.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3308261)   #25
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
I suspect that the older marshals (anybody over 50, and mainly flags and Post Chiefs) will opt for Goodwood, and the younger element (under 50, and mainly track and I,O.'s) will support the BTCC
Mmmm.... I have suddenly aged 11 years then because you have just put me in the "Older" category! Although the PC title puts me there as well. ;-)