Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:02 (Ref:643210)   #1
Dunzer
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Dunzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1980 McLaren M30

Hi All,new to the forum.Just wondering if anybody out there has any pictures or other info relating to this car...here is the tricky bit...not while it was a works car,but when Alo Lawler campaigned it in British Formula Libre.Alo first ran it in 1984 (I think) and was in his possession up to 1989 or thereabouts.I believe it was sold to a collector in the USA shortly after.Its livery was red,white and black and sponsored by a freighting company called LEP.Many thanks.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:07 (Ref:643213)   #2
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I took quite a few pictures of Lawler in the M30. I'll dig them out and scan them. let me know your e-mail address (Here or by PM) and I'll send them to you.

Cheers
Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:27 (Ref:643231)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember the fantastic Libre battles Alo had in the M30 with Tony Trimmer's F5000 Lola. I dont think I have any photos though. LEP was a very loyal backer to Alo I recall. They also sponsored his Formula Atlantic cars.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 00:25 (Ref:643258)   #4
Dunzer
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Hi Jeremy, thanks so much, my e-mail address is pmdunner@eircom.net
Old 26 Jun 2003, 00:45 (Ref:643274)   #5
Dunzer
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Andrew, unfortunately for me I was just out of nappies when he raced in Atlantics but I vaguely remember him winning the 1980 Marlboro Grand Prix in Dublin's Phoenix Park.I particularly remember him having a great battle with Geoff Farmer at Kirkistown in 1989 in the M30.Farmer was driving an F3000 of some sort...great moments.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:13 (Ref:643402)   #6
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The M30 is one of those obsure McLarens (like an Mp4/18......) It appeared mid 1980 in Prosts hands, but John Watson never got his hands on it. Then for some reason the M29, which had been a dud since it was introduced mid 79 to replace the awful M28 tank, suddendly started going quicker than the M30.

When Ron dennis took over the team he carried on with the venerable M29 into 1981, and the M30 was never seen again. One can only assume it was a not a well loved car!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 09:19 (Ref:643486)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunzer
Andrew, unfortunately for me I was just out of nappies when he raced in Atlantics but I vaguely remember him winning the 1980 Marlboro Grand Prix in Dublin's Phoenix Park.I particularly remember him having a great battle with Geoff Farmer at Kirkistown in 1989 in the M30.Farmer was driving an F3000 of some sort...great moments.
Geoff would have been in his Lola F3000 car - the dark blue and orange one. He is a good mate and customer of my work. I was at his house only the other day admiring his ex-Walker/Siffert '68 British GP winning Lotus 49 - that he keeps in his living room!
Old 29 Jun 2003, 22:02 (Ref:646549)   #8
Dunzer
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
In his living room! What must his wife think!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 03:13 (Ref:646730)   #9
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His wife has no say in it. It's either the Lotus 49, being married or shown the door.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 03:46 (Ref:646745)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitly take the Lotus.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 23:55 (Ref:2058943)   #11
macoran
Rookie

Netherlands
Capelle a/d IJssel Netherlands
macoran should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Jackson
Yes, I took quite a few pictures of Lawler in the M30. I'll dig them out and scan them. let me know your e-mail address (Here or by PM) and I'll send them to you.

Cheers
What a pity you haven't posted some of them !
Old 4 Nov 2007, 19:34 (Ref:2059493)   #12
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzer
Dunzer, don't know your 'vintage' but Alo Lawlor in the M30 had a great battle with Tony Trimmer in the F5000 Lola in Mondello in 1985. I'm sure Con Connolly has some pics of this. Also, re the Kirkistown race above, I have some footage of this on a tape somewhere.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2059581)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They had a few battles in Mondello alright. Was that the day the T332 got stuck in 4th gear ?

Here are a few shots from Con of the Lola and the McLaren. I've got a few myself as well, some I've already sent to Paul (Dunzer), who by the way is related to Alo, and I need to dig out some more and scan them.

Old 4 Nov 2007, 21:41 (Ref:2059602)   #14
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
They had a few battles in Mondello alright. Was that the day the T332 got stuck in 4th gear ?

Here are a few shots from Con of the Lola and the McLaren. I've got a few myself as well, some I've already sent to Paul (Dunzer), who by the way is related to Alo, and I need to dig out some more and scan them.

Marvellous pics. I had the pleasure of seeing Trimmer race the Lola 4 times in Mondello. It's a car I adore, just beautiful, one of the ones that's stuck in my memory over the years and of course driven to it's full potential by Tony. No, the day TT got stuck in 4th was in 1988 when he was miles ahead and had his problem. He had to pit to get his seat belts done up (as he was getting out of the car out on track before he realised what was wrong). Geoff Farmer went on to win that race in the F3000 87 Lola. TT thundered around stuck in fourth once he rejoined, still going bloody quickly regardless!!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 08:04 (Ref:2059850)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here are a few I took with a very bad camera, I'm not sure what year it was... thought it was 1984 myself... but Graz you may know for sure. Alo was there, along with John Brindley in the Newsweek March, Trevor Templeton in the RT3 Atlantic and of course Tom O'Leary in the fabulous ex-Guerrero Theodore F1 car. Once again, sorry for the quality of the pictures... it was a 110 camera.
Attached Thumbnails
AloLawler1.jpg   AloLawler2.jpg   AloLawlerMcLarenM30.jpg  

BRSCCLibreGroup.jpg   TomOLearyTheodore.jpg   TrevorTempletonRaltRT3.jpg  

Old 5 Nov 2007, 08:06 (Ref:2059852)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

This was the John Brindley March.
Attached Thumbnails
RAMMarch.jpg  
Old 5 Nov 2007, 09:07 (Ref:2059898)   #17
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Here are a few I took with a very bad camera, I'm not sure what year it was... thought it was 1984 myself... but Graz you may know for sure. Alo was there, along with John Brindley in the Newsweek March, Trevor Templeton in the RT3 Atlantic and of course Tom O'Leary in the fabulous ex-Guerrero Theodore F1 car. Once again, sorry for the quality of the pictures... it was a 110 camera.
These are superb. It was defo 1985 and showing the anorak in me I think it was August the 18th 1985. I am an Alain Prost fan and the opportunity to see an ex-Prost McLaren was just magic. I had only seen an F1 car for the first time in the Park in 83 (Tom O'Leary in the Theodore) so this was only the second time for me to see F1's and also the likes of Trimmers F5000. Trimmer beat Lawlor that day and I remember afterwards in the paddock Lawlor was signing posters of the car and he was sooo disappointed not to have won. One of his crew was trying to tell him to cheer up, he can't win everytime!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 12:28 (Ref:2060083)   #18
davyboy
Veteran

I remember the day very well... at one stage Tom O'Leary had the rear of that Theodore on a trolley jack and was working on the gearbox himself with his racesuit arms tied around his waist. Can you imagine that today...

Here's one of Tony Trimmer on his way down to Duckhams and Geoff Farmer crossing the line victoriously. This must be 1988 then. My memory from back then isn't great... probably the result of having too much of a good time in the 1980s

I'll try and dig more out when I have some time. I took a lot of shots in Mondello in the 1980s, mainly local stuff, but still worth scanning and getting online.

Enjoy !
Attached Thumbnails
FarmerF3000Cropped2Web.jpg   TrimmerF5000CroppedWeb.jpg  
Old 5 Nov 2007, 12:44 (Ref:2060094)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
I remember the day very well... at one stage Tom O'Leary had the rear of that Theodore on a trolley jack and was working on the gearbox himself with his racesuit arms tied around his waist. Can you imagine that today...

Here's one of Tony Trimmer on his way down to Duckhams and Geoff Farmer crossing the line victoriously. This must be 1988 then. My memory from back then isn't great... probably the result of having too much of a good time in the 1980s

I'll try and dig more out when I have some time. I took a lot of shots in Mondello in the 1980s, mainly local stuff, but still worth scanning and getting online.

Enjoy !
Class photos!! Defo do put the 80's Mondello photos up when you get a chance. There would be some great stuff in there no doubt.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2060123)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I remember Geoff Farmer running that car (well, I think it was that one) in the first-ever British F3000 race...presumably to give it a run-out as it was technically a Formula 1 springboard formula.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2060158)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

Wasn't Geoff Farmer disabled in some way ? IIRC he had some problem with one of his arms. Didn't seem to hold him back very much did it... and the Adelphi boss is still racing Ferraris and historic F1 cars today !
Old 5 Nov 2007, 14:12 (Ref:2060267)   #22
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geoff farmer only has a finger and a thumb on one of his hands left I think, he also owns a Pacific F1 car. The first British F3000 at Brands he did indeed enter but the car had a terrible misfire on race day.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 22:31 (Ref:2060653)   #23
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having had a afternoon of reminicing I remember in 87-88ish a Libre race at Brands with Lawler & Trimmer but also Richard Piper driving a Texas sponsored Theodore (I think) and Tony O'Neill in a Arrows A3 in original Ragno livery I have some pics somewhere.
Halcyon days at Brands where from April to October there was an exciting meeting nearly every weekend I really miss those days..........................
Old 5 Nov 2007, 22:50 (Ref:2060677)   #24
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Blimey - holding the spanners by the left rear - Dave Finnigan WITH hair! Did you notice that Andrew?

As far as I know, the Lola is still in Dave's workshop -though it's stripped.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 00:24 (Ref:2060741)   #25
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Does anyone know if the Theodore in the Mondello museum is the actual Tom O'Leary one? I brought my young lad in there at the British Rallycross recently and I was telling him it was the first F1 car I ever saw. I took some pictures so it would be nice if it was the very one.