Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 4 Oct 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2030817)   #76
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With all due respect, I don't think they'd feel threatened if it was God in that car.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:52 (Ref:2031001)   #77
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok - so they're pining not having their names in the papers as often as JV. Whatever. It's all just whining. Just beat him fair and square on the track (and I dare say they will) and that's all that matters.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:22 (Ref:2031034)   #78
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is not the worry.

I don't recall anyone complaining when JPM was dropped into the title deciding race last year and that was of arguably higher publicity. But because others had run with him in Busch and Homestead is more conventional, they were a bit more comfortable. I'm sure there were some reservations, but not as many.

Trouble is JV has had one truck race so it is hard to say. In any case he mightn't even qualify, but I suspect he will. I think it is only natural that some folk are nervous.

That said, I'm sure it'll work out OK. I hope so anyways.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:43 (Ref:2031131)   #79
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
If something has the Cup boys attention like this it probably means they feel threatened. I don't tend to take any of their whinings too seriously ever since they punted Martin Brundle out of a IROC race when he'd whupped them once and was about to do so again.
I didn't know Brundle took part in an IROC oval race.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:46 (Ref:2031134)   #80
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, he gained the respect of Dale Sr I believe.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:37 (Ref:2031186)   #81
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Just let him race and whinge afterwards if he gets in the way
Old 4 Oct 2007, 23:03 (Ref:2031418)   #82
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dale Jr. quote:

"Jacques doesn't have much experience in these cars, but he's a world champ - he'll do OK. Hell, he can't be any worse than some of the other guys we've got out there!"
Old 5 Oct 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2031968)   #83
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Yes, he gained the respect of Dale Sr I believe.
Indeed - 5th on his IROC debut at Talladega, won on the roads of Cleveland, started on pole at Michigan but hoofed off of the lead by good ol' boy Rusty Wallace. 3rd in the series but moral winner.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 14:51 (Ref:2032072)   #84
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV should be in the Arca race with Dario and Scot Speed. They are doing it the right way. JPM also did it correctly for someone with his experience. He may come through the race ok, but, if he takes out one of the contenders by making an inexperienced move, I will be highly P'od.

Last edited by muggle not; 5 Oct 2007 at 14:54.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 20:27 (Ref:2032359)   #85
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st practice and JV was 42nd fastest. Jeff Gordon was 2nd fastest and I hear that Gordon is going to skip the 2nd practice, wonder why.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 20:51 (Ref:2032373)   #86
Chaos81
Racer

United States
Chaos81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV should talk to Scott Speed about how to do this.

Scott just got interviewed on SPEED before the ARCA race, and was asked when he was going to be in a Cup, Busch, or Truck race. His response was they are in no rush. He mentioned how he has a lot to learn about the racing. That's how it should be done. Not jumping into Cup right off the bat.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 21:33 (Ref:2032400)   #87
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Best place to learn is against the best, surely? If Nascar had a problem with it they'd not have allowed it. Maybe everyone should calm down?
Old 5 Oct 2007, 21:45 (Ref:2032406)   #88
Chaos81
Racer

United States
Chaos81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Best place to learn is against the best, surely?
Would you want Jeff Gordon to jump right in this weekend in China in an F1 car after running 1 GP2 race?

EDIT: Of course Nascar isn't going to have a problem with it. It's just making them money, they aren't going to stop that.

Last edited by Chaos81; 5 Oct 2007 at 21:50.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 01:55 (Ref:2032490)   #89
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
JV's Camry looks pretty good, I have to say. Loving the colour choice, hopefully you guys will get the connection too.

Old 6 Oct 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2032726)   #90
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
Would you want Jeff Gordon to jump right in this weekend in China in an F1 car after running 1 GP2 race?
I'd say bring it on. If you're a champion, you're a champion. You should be pitting yourself against the best in other disciplines of racing.

Incidently, where did Villeneuve run his first stock car race?
Old 6 Oct 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2032856)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'd be comfortable having Jeff Gordon in an F1 race personally! The guy is a legend.

JV ran trucks at Texas I think Craig. And that's it.

Matt, great livery! But I think the UNICEF livery is a one-off?
Old 6 Oct 2007, 13:10 (Ref:2032857)   #92
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Incidentally, JV was 24th in happy hour.

Of course, practice and quali times are irrelevant here, it's the alien atmosphere of running in a huge, three-wide pack but it's a good base point.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2032859)   #93
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It might be a one-off, who knows, lol. All I know, is that the Quebec flag is represented quite nicely in it.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2032908)   #94
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
JV ran trucks at Texas I think Craig. And that's it.
My bad. I haven't been keeping up; I thought it was 'dega

In any case, he's got to make his debut somewhere. Would it really be so much better at Homestead when there could be four or five drivers in with a shot at the title? I'm no fan of Villeneuve but I do say -- let him race. If he takes out half the field through a silly move then blat him. But he's no mug, he's been around a bit, I can't see him doing anything too silly.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 14:29 (Ref:2032911)   #95
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Nor do I, but I understand concerns. With 'dega you can't back out away from a title guy because you'll cause an accident behind and if you cause a problem the other way.....you can't win!

He is doing the truck race this weekend. He lines up tenth.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 08:19 (Ref:2034712)   #96
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Great effort by JV I'm very pleased to say. Seemed able to compete much better than many expected and have to say I'm quite impressed by the sensible decision not to take up his 6th place slot, impressive that was in itself. Nice debut.

On a vaguely unrelated topic, why is it that JV and JPM have been able to achieve half decent results pretty much out of the box but that Allmendinger and Hornish have not been?

And where will Dario sit on that particular spectrum?
Old 8 Oct 2007, 09:10 (Ref:2034762)   #97
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
perhaps they are just better natural drivers? and doesn't say much for awor!
Old 8 Oct 2007, 09:57 (Ref:2034800)   #98
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
perhaps they are just better natural drivers? and doesn't say much for awor!
Took me a few mins to work out what "awor" was but I think I'm with you. It doesn't really does it but what was interesting was to see the relative similarity in the paces of Scott Speed and Dario at the weekend. Red Bull are giving Scott all the time in the world but Ganassi is following the Montoya path for Dario. Could Dario be moving too soon, but because he'll be in the top 35 he'll at least get lots of track time.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 10:12 (Ref:2034812)   #99
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
And where will Dario sit on that particular spectrum?
Dunno, it's a mystery Mystery.

But my guess with Dario would be he'll take to this NASCAR bit like a fly on a rib roast, esp. in a Chip Ganassi entry. But then there's Scott Speed; ahh, not so much. Only guessing mind you.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 11:22 (Ref:2034862)   #100
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Yeah but at least Scott is staying down in ARCA for the time being with no doubt the odd "Busch" (or whatever its called) guest ride so he's getting a good grounding first.

Anyway, that's all for another thread. Well done JV on a nice start.