Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 8 Oct 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2034991)   #101
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely agree that he did well to start at the back of the field. He'd have made a few friends with that - good common sense. I'm not a fan of him personally but I'm delighted he did so well during the race. It's good too see that a couple of talented guys can step into the sport from single seaters and run in the higher midfield without much problem. In a year or so we could be seeing JV and JPM duking it out up front for the win... that'd be very very cool to see!
Old 8 Oct 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2034995)   #102
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great result for Villeneuve!
Old 8 Oct 2007, 17:37 (Ref:2035118)   #103
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
On a vaguely unrelated topic, why is it that JV and JPM have been able to achieve half decent results pretty much out of the box but that Allmendinger and Hornish have not been?
Allmendinger is actually getting to grips with things now. His trouble is being in a Red Bull Toyota, hardly the most competitive thing going. But he and the team are progressing, especially now AJ is getting some Busch running with Chip Ganassi.

Hornish, well......I don't know. I've never felt he was the most miraculous driver. I think he'll get better, but this guy has spent the majority of his career driving underpowered slicks-and-wings cars round ovals. Quite a different prospect to a brutal stockcar.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2035744)   #104
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm pretty sure JV started in his grid position and just dropped to the back after the green flag - doesn't take long at 'dega.

He pretty much just tooled around keeping out of trouble - but was successful in that goal. Banged the wall a couple of times, but that's better than banging the other cars. A good first up effort. I think he'll be able to compete well next year.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2035895)   #105
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
I'm pretty sure JV started in his grid position and just dropped to the back after the green flag - doesn't take long at 'dega.

He pretty much just tooled around keeping out of trouble - but was successful in that goal. Banged the wall a couple of times, but that's better than banging the other cars. A good first up effort. I think he'll be able to compete well next year.
No, before the race started, he stopped on the bottom of the back straight, and waited for everyone to go by.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 16:24 (Ref:2036018)   #106
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, judging by the radio conversations, Slugger wasn't overly thrilled about relinquishing the 3rd row spot, and to be honest neither was I. I had visions of JV losing the draft almost immediately and wasting away some valuable experience. Thankfully a yellow allowed for some major set-up changes left over from the qualy. After that JV was still tight but fast enough to draft and learn.
Now that it is said and done, I believe it was the best thing JV could have done. He also was humble after the race, praised the regular drivers and thanked NASCAR for allowing him to race.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 04:55 (Ref:2036522)   #107
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hornish is surprising. He is in top-level equipment (look at what Kurt Busch has done in Penske cars) but can't qualify for a race.

JV had a good race, earned praise from key detractors such as Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. Notably, Dale Jr. defended JV before the race and during the race asked where JV was running. So it looks like he has won over JG, JJ and probably others and never had Junior doubting him.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 10 Oct 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2036732)   #108
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
Hornish is surprising. He is in top-level equipment (look at what Kurt Busch has done in Penske cars) but can't qualify for a race.
Hornish was top 15 in qualifying at Dega.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 16:18 (Ref:2036982)   #109
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's the only place he's looked good though and he ended up shuffled out!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:28 (Ref:2045037)   #110
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a rumour now that Villeneuve and his long time manager may have actually purchased Bill Davis Racing. I spotted it at Jayski, there wasn't much detail beyond that.

J.D.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:40 (Ref:2045046)   #111
Kirk
Veteran

WOW .... This link says so:

http://flagworld.auto123.com/en/raci...dex,view.spy?a rtid=90934
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:16 (Ref:2045084)   #112
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez, the Bill Davis shop is not far down the road from me. I may have to take a spin down and see what they have.

If the rumor is true, and, I believe it is. Then it will assure JV of a ride. Owning and driving though is no piece of cake in Nascar. Most have struggled.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:40 (Ref:2045093)   #113
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he really has purchased Bill Davis Racing, will they continue to use Toyotas? Or will he switch to another manufacturer seeing how poorly Toyota has done since they have just started doing the cup.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 12:27 (Ref:2045326)   #114
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
WOW .... This link says so:

http://flagworld.auto123.com/en/raci...dex,view.spy?a rtid=90934

If true a big surprise. Jacque Villeneuve Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
If the rumor is true, and, I believe it is. Then it will assure JV of a ride. Owning and driving though is no piece of cake in Nascar. Most have struggled.
JV driving, Pollock responsible for commercial side of the business and hiring an experienced NASCAR guy for running the team?

I am sure Toyota will get more to the front next season.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 14:09 (Ref:2045392)   #115
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Genius. That model worked so well in F1!
Old 20 Oct 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2045418)   #116
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I am sure Toyota will get more to the front next season
Thats what i think will happen. Toyota entered the Craftsman Truck series in 2004 and have won quite a few races this year. Give them a couple more years in Nationwide/Sprint Cup and they'll be up there with the Chevys especially now they have a top line team like Joe Gibbs to work with.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 20 Oct 2007, 20:46 (Ref:2045625)   #117
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV has denied that he has interest in buying the team, although he did not rule out Pollock buying it. Bill Davis Racing claims there have been no negotiations with JV/CP about buying the team, although Davis is taking offers from many other people. What Davis prefers is adding a partner to the team, like Evernham did with Gillet, given the need for BDR to step up to the next level.

On a side note, JV methodically rose from 27th to 13th in the truck race today but was wrecked by Clint Bowyer with 1/4 of the race remaining. He had a great chance at finishing in the top 10 if he did not get wrecked. Oh well. He did get plenty of laps in, gained valuable experience in short track racing. I have high hopes for JV at Atlanta next week.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 20 Oct 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2045654)   #118
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
JV's crash
A 1-2 between Leffler and Bowyer.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 10:43 (Ref:2045990)   #119
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

So JV is effectively a pay driver now, buying a seat?

Seriously, should be interesting. Difficult task though.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2046000)   #120
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Villeneuve eyes BDR in 08?

JV's looking more and more comfortable out there. And is Juan Pablo rookie of the year yet this year? Works for me, bring it. With apology to his fans however, anybody but Jeff Gordon, puleese.

I know, wrong thread, but I had to get that in there.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 11:04 (Ref:2046002)   #121
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

JPM is in a close battle with David Ragan for RotY.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 12:43 (Ref:2046066)   #122
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Juan Montoya* 21st with 2956 pts., and a win.
David Ragan* 22nd, with 2844 pts.
It would seem fitting. C'mon Juan Pablo!
Old 21 Oct 2007, 14:55 (Ref:2046162)   #123
Kirk
Veteran

Bowyer spins JV in CTS

A smug Clint Bowyer purposely spun JV in yesterday's truck race and then tried to attribute it strictly to JV's learning experience. JV wasn't the first victim either. He had done the same thing to another driver just a few laps earlier. It is just me or has being in the chase gone to his head? He showed no respect for the CTS regulars out there. Apparently he was warned for aggressive driving, but the truth is he should have been black flagged, imo, at least.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 15:03 (Ref:2046169)   #124
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
See Villeneuve topic for movie of this incident
Old 26 Oct 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2052131)   #125
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
With UNICEF on his truck, who's paying the bills? Villeneuve and Pollock themself? Toyota?