Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Oct 2020, 12:46 (Ref:4011352)   #1
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Scotty!! Penske Gone!! (X3)

I Know this isnt a Australian Touring Cars post but from a Holden/Motorsport Fan, good luck to Scotty heading to USA, I dont expect to see him back in a DJR Penske car any time in the foreseeable future.
Old 18 Oct 2020, 20:42 (Ref:4011411)   #2
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck in the USA, Scotty.
Old 19 Oct 2020, 01:48 (Ref:4011443)   #3
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as he has the ability and did extremely well earlier in the year, i think the more races he would have done this year would have lined up a 2021 Indy tilt.

You could hear in his voice that he's ready to go, but this weekend will determine if it will be the case.

Either way, the boy has good head between those shoulders, so good luck to him, whatever happens. Can't keep a talent like that tied down.... Good SMcL!!
Old 24 Oct 2020, 00:13 (Ref:4012290)   #4
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske gone officially. Not a great sign for the series.

Auto Action spit on with this story
Old 24 Oct 2020, 00:17 (Ref:4012292)   #5
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske Gone

Speedcafe reporting that Penske won’t be competing in the 2021 Repco Supercars Championship.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 00:27 (Ref:4012294)   #6
Kingair
Veteran

Speedcafe announced that McLaughlin will be driving full time in 2021 INDYCAR series.

Let the musical chairs start.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 00:30 (Ref:4012295)   #7
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official word from Penske
https://www.teampenske.com/news/inde...ERCARS_IN_2021

Dark days ahead again at DJR?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 01:05 (Ref:4012297)   #8
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not mentioned in the Team Penske goodbye DJR press release then this:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/24...me-in-indycar/
Old 24 Oct 2020, 01:13 (Ref:4012298)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Roger has left the building....and taken Scotty with him....all fairly old news.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 01:59 (Ref:4012304)   #10
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Roger has left the building....and taken Scotty with him....all fairly old news.
Except that it is now official. I think if Ryan Story is left to run the finances the team should be ok, it's had the boost it needed, just has to stay there now.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 02:38 (Ref:4012306)   #11
sebringimsa
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
sebringimsa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Except that it is now official. I think if Ryan Story is left to run the finances the team should be ok, it's had the boost it needed, just has to stay there now.

Who knows? Maybe a former driver a driver has bought a share in the team??
If it rolls, floats, flys or crashes, runs on gasoline or high explosives, shoots a big bullett, makes lots of noise, producing torque and recoil, THEN ITS COOL!! But if it's a ball made out of leather inflated with air hit with a bat, racquet or club, played on a course, green or court by yubbies or left-wingers it SUCKS!!
Old 24 Oct 2020, 02:57 (Ref:4012308)   #12
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske obviously can't see a future ROI in staying and that says a lot without saying much.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 03:40 (Ref:4012314)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As you say, nothing we all were not expecting tbh. Reading the news confirmation was no surprise.
TBH Some of Scotty's statements of late were very much a giveaway.... you dont thank the team for the opportunities etc etc mid stint, and so the expectation of his move was as expected as the end of the Penske / DJR alliance was.
Old 24 Oct 2020, 04:12 (Ref:4012318)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_a View Post
Dark days ahead again at DJR?
Unfortunately I suspect so. As much as Dr Story saved the team, it only enabled it to limp to where it could become DJRTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I suspect the team will be fine next year, but where does the money come from to develop the Gen3 car?

How many of the stickers on the side will stay long term without being part of the Penske world? Can they still find $10m+ revenue to stay at the front, or do we see a shuffling of the pecking order?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 07:57 (Ref:4012332)   #15
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shell stays with them and backing from Ford Australia is still in place. That's at least something ppsitive. But at the same time, I can imagine 888 will be again unbeatable...
Old 24 Oct 2020, 09:07 (Ref:4012339)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Shell stays with them and backing from Ford Australia is still in place. That's at least something ppsitive. But at the same time, I can imagine 888 will be again unbeatable...
Ford isn't paying anything and if Shell is $2m a year I will eat my hat. To do the Mustang, recruit and run as they have took at least $20m. Nobody else other than RP can provide like that. Whatever happens with Gen3 badly affects Tickford too, as they benefited greatly from the Mustang investment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Oct 2020, 12:09 (Ref:4012366)   #17
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 SC need to look at the demise of DTM and then look in the mirror and come up with a workable strategy soon. Gen 3 ain’t it....
Old 24 Oct 2020, 18:02 (Ref:4012466)   #18
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Ford isn't paying anything and if Shell is $2m a year I will eat my hat. To do the Mustang, recruit and run as they have took at least $20m. Nobody else other than RP can provide like that. Whatever happens with Gen3 badly affects Tickford too, as they benefited greatly from the Mustang investment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

How much Ford and how much Penske knowhow is in the Mustang Aero and Bodyshell?
Chassis stayed the same. Engine too?
I surely hope that DJR doesnt screw up the Gen3 Mustang.
But T8 has less money too. Same question: how much GM knowhow (aero simulation) will be in the Camaro?
Old 24 Oct 2020, 19:08 (Ref:4012488)   #19
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Fairly impressive Indycar first practice.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 01:34 (Ref:4012627)   #20
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Practice was impressive
Nice to see Scotty in a CHEV
Give him a few months, he will be a worthy contender.

As far as Penkse leaving the series, we are a better series now that they were involved. They brought the series professionalism to another level and without them I would guess it would just have been a 888 procession. Lets hope DJR can continue it, it remains to be seen but the template has been set.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 06:26 (Ref:4012665)   #21
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Looking at Scotty's car I would say the Shell sponsorship has flown the coop too.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4012687)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Looking at Scotty's car I would say the Shell sponsorship has flown the coop too.
Penske has had a relationship in the US with Shell and Pennzoil (same company nowadays) for decades,in both Indycar and NASCAR, and DJR cars were red and yellow Shell branded cars (ie Sierras) before Scott was even a twinkle in his Dad's eye.

Of course in these Covid influenced times nothing is certain, but in no way has Scott taken the Shell backing with him, more just slotted into a Shell Indycar livery Penske they have used before.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 08:16 (Ref:4012688)   #23
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Fairly impressive Indycar first practice.
Agreed. I reckon his race pace will be better than his qualy pace. Given his time in the car at the track the times he did were pretty good. Its not like he was seconds off the pace.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 10:24 (Ref:4012714)   #24
slugger
Rookie

slugger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fabs exit confirmed now too
Old 25 Oct 2020, 12:02 (Ref:4012748)   #25
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Penske obviously can't see a future ROI in staying and that says a lot without saying much.
Not much fun having a toy race team that you can’t even visit!