Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Donington Historic Festival
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett

4 May 2018 to 6 May 2018 08:00 to 18:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

Includes Motor Racing Legends-
HTCC and Tony Dron Trophy;
Pre War Sports Cars;
Royal Automobile Woodcote Trophy;
Stirling Moss Trophy

GTSCC.

HSCC Super Tourers.

FJ Peter Arundell Trophy race(s).

Old 10 May 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3821205)   #91
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
In exile from Derbyshire in t'South
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/m5k9j7

A few snaps from Saturday. Weather much improved from the sleet last time I was at the Festival. Racing all day Saturday / Sunday a much better schedule. Good to be able to walk across to Coppice.

Walked up the outside of Craners and could just about see the cars through the fence. Makes me grateful for unrestricted viewing at Cadwell, Mallory, Oulton, Goodwood ...
Old 10 May 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3821231)   #92
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The view from the new grandstand at Hollywood on the exit from Redgate is superb, you can see right across to Coppice but as you say the wire safety fencing is pretty obtrusive but I guess if JP's lot is to attract the big series to pay for the upgrading it is a necessary evil. Really enjoyed the weekend if a bit of a stretch for me from the South coast but as a casual observer I was mighty impressed with the circuit improvements generally.
It's interesting to read the comments regarding some of the longer races, personally I always enjoy something other than a 8 or 10 lap sprint as it introduces a number of imponderables into the race strategy but I really felt for some of those drivers in that heat.
That noise from the rave or whatever was going on was absolutely horrendous on Sunday
Old 10 May 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3821238)   #93
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/m5k9j7

A few snaps from Saturday. Weather much improved from the sleet last time I was at the Festival. Racing all day Saturday / Sunday a much better schedule. Good to be able to walk across to Coppice.

Walked up the outside of Craners and could just about see the cars through the fence. Makes me grateful for unrestricted viewing at Cadwell, Mallory, Oulton, Goodwood ...
Inside at Redgate down to the Old Hairpin and then along to Schwantz has better fence free viewing options only slightly marred by the outside fence in the background.

One aspect of Donington is that there are quite a few places where walking up a slope gives you a good view of large parts of the track although taking you further from the cars.

The area that hosts the new grandstand is a case in point. The infield offers a view of the Old Hairpin round to McLeans and almost up to Coppice. The Outside at the Old Hairpin gives sight of Holly Wood, Craner Curves, The Old Hairpin and around to where the stone bridge used to be.

Slightly less good but still better then many places offer, the outside at Craner and down towards the Old Hairpin has a high enough bank to be able to see over the fences for Craner, the Old Hairpin and off towards Schwantz.

And finally the raised area between McLeans and Coppice, designated for Disabled in viewing, has (distant) visibility of Craner and the section from the Mcleans approach through to nearly the second part of Coppice. (And close up views of the aircraft plus a clear line of sight directly down the runway for those seeking some alternative entertainment plane spotting.)

It's also not flat and, generally, has mainly green backdrops not unlike Cadwell or Oulton. Certainly nothing like as industrial as Silverstone has become.

I might have included Brand Hatch (GP) in the list above but it seems that too is becoming a fenced in tunnel.

How long Donington can survive without succumbing to the marching fences is another matter. Hopefully a while longer yet.
Old 10 May 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3821244)   #94
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GP loop at Brands is now ruined from a spectators/camermans point of view. All the best viewing spots, in particular the exit at Stirlings are now caged in at the request of the DTM organisers.