Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3299106)   #151
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
GT-Am is a great idea I think. Also helps teams potentially sell on equipment to prospective Am squads.

As others have said, an increased tie-up with the ACO in terms of class. Works for me.
Absolutely. ACO ties will, by default, increase entry counts for the big races like Daytona, Sebring, and Petit Le Mans (we'll undoubtedly see some European entries in a few of the bigger races, maybe even the 6 Hours of the Glen). And it'll also allow for some big rich racing enthusiasts to build new teams and possibly buy from European factory teams like AMR, AF Corse, Porsche, etc to bring new life into the GTLM (GTE, if you prefer) ranks.

Also personally I hope to see Krohn back in American sportscar racing. I don't like him personally and his driving can be flat out dangerous at times, not to mention dreadfully slow, but nevertheless he brings somewhat decent co-drivers like Nic Jonsson, Michele Rugolo, or Maurizio Mediani. Since they don't seem to be having much success in the WEC, they should come back to American sportscar racing...

Or, as the Beatles song goes...

Back in the USCR.
You don't know how lucky you are.
Back in the USCR.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3299107)   #152
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaro View Post
Does anyone know at least how many races on the schedule? Are they using Grand Am or ALMS as a guide or the average of the two?
Eleven spots are allotted.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3299124)   #153
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaro View Post
I talked to Rob Dyson, Chris Dyson and James Weaver this past weekend and all three said the same thing. There are no plans to run the current car next year. They have not been told yet by IMSA what changes would be needed. I asked about moving to P2 and both Rob and Chris said that's an option but neither sounded like that was the direction they were heading. It really seemed to me that they were preparing everyone for no Dyson car next year. All three said almost the exact same thing (rehearsed?), " It's going to be a shame next year without us on the grid. We feel we've contributed a lot to the paddock and the series."

I have to believe at this point we won't see Dyson in the series next year.
Hmm, and yet.....at the very end of http://www.racer.com/insight-30-year...icle/310252/3/

"What does the future hold for Rob, Chris and the family run operation? The unification between Grand-Am and the ALMS has no doubt changed the sports car racing landscape, but that's nothing new for the team, which has been through the rise, fall and resurrection of the IMSA empire. In fact, with its long-term vision for the greater good of the sport, it wouldn't surprise many to see Dyson Racing continue its winning legacy for another 30 years, on whatever path U.S. sports car racing takes.

"We've changed cars a lot over the years; configurations have changed over the years," Rob Dyson notes. "When I look back on it, I think we've had to take the opportunities as they come and change has been a constant, really.

“Looking forward, we'll have to see how the rule book comes out and see how they handle the competition. I honestly believe they're trying to make it work. Give it a little bit of time and effort, and everyone giving a little, it will work.

“Everybody understands the opportunity we have on a unified series to put all of the road racing guys together. I'm hopeful that it works."

L.P.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3299132)   #154
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay, so, what side is he sitting on now? Are those honest sentiments, or those just given for general consumption? If he said point blank to someones face at Baltimore they'd not be back, then who do we believe? That story was not likely done today, or over the weekend. My bet it was in the last three weeks. So has something changed that's changed his mind?

I've met Rob, spoken with him at length, and he's a stand up guy...very genuine. So, what do we make of it? I think it's a bit of both. They want to be back, they want to be involved but have no clue where to begin, and the current USCR management isn't helping anything all, and therefore, they are planning for the future, and a different series, or maybe, a different class.

Even if the above comments are not true, and those things were not said, the fear is being perpetuated by a very clear and present issue. And that is the lack of regulations.

Last edited by MoMedic9019; 4 Sep 2013 at 23:07.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Sep 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3299153)   #155
mdaro
Rookie

United States
Maryland
mdaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Okay, so, what side is he sitting on now? Are those honest sentiments, or those just given for general consumption? If he said point blank to someones face at Baltimore they'd not be back, then who do we believe? That story was not likely done today, or over the weekend. My bet it was in the last three weeks. So has something changed that's changed his mind?

I've met Rob, spoken with him at length, and he's a stand up guy...very genuine. So, what do we make of it? I think it's a bit of both. They want to be back, they want to be involved but have no clue where to begin, and the current USCR management isn't helping anything all, and therefore, they are planning for the future, and a different series, or maybe, a different class.

Even if the above comments are not true, and those things were not said, the fear is being perpetuated by a very clear and present issue. And that is the lack of regulations.
He didn't say to me point blank they won't be back but he kept referring to the fact that he still hasn't seen a rulebook for USCR and he hasn't been able to get any answers for next year. He seemed very angry about it.

He is normally very jovial and upbeat but me asking about next year seemed to bring up some anger. He and Chris both said almost the exact same thing about them doing a lot for the paddock and the fans and the sport and it will be a shame not to be involved in the new series. He didn't say they wouldn't be involved but he sure sounded like Dyson will be racing elsewhere next year. There was no reassurance to me or any other fan that walked up and asked a similiar question. I stood there for almost 40 minutes talking to Chris in between him signing autographs. He was very vocal about feeling they were being left out so to speak.

I'm no Rob Dyson but I think it would take all of the next four months to be able to get their car ready for Daytona and with no starting point yet, that window shrinks every single day.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3299155)   #156
mdaro
Rookie

United States
Maryland
As a matter of fact the first thing he said to me on Friday when I stopped to talk with him was "got a rulebook?"

He talked with me for a good 20 minutes then invited me and my family into the paddock tent to get a good look at the car. We were able to walk around it and talk to the mechanics and get some great pictures of the car.

There isn't a nicer owner in sports car racing. 31 years. Get them a frakking rulebook already!
Old 5 Sep 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3299157)   #157
mdaro
Rookie

United States
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Eleven spots are allotted.
Thank you!
Old 5 Sep 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3299165)   #158
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's nothing new to see Dyson take delivery of a new car just days prior to a winter test, or even later. They can afford to keep their options open.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3299168)   #159
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair enough, obviously, its no different than what I heard from him at Road America....

Here's the deal. I think we can all agree that no rules is going to hurt entries. We needed those two or three months ago. Not a new website, not a new logo, not a new anything. We needed the rules.

Now, we are less than four weeks away from, essentially, D-Day. I think if there is still nothing by 10/1/14, competitors WILL go elsewhere or close shop. I don't think there is any other way around it.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 5 Sep 2013, 01:06 (Ref:3299172)   #160
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
It's nothing new to see Dyson take delivery of a new car just days prior to a winter test, or even later. They can afford to keep their options open.
Sure. But if you have no idea what your options are, then what?? Yes, they have money but when you have no clue what to plan for, it's nigh on impossible to be prepared, or plan/budget for anything.

How long does it take to build up a new DP, or a new proto, or GTE car? It's not days...I'm sure you know that and it's by no means a knock on your knowledge. But, in all honesty, the decision has to be made shortly to allow for ample time to build up the car, deliver it, test it, and build up spares to go along with it. Imagine if Michelotto gets orders for 5 new 458's in the USCR and 5 in the WEC. Or HPD for 5 new P2's, or OAK Racing, or Oreca for new PC's...

The lead time is shrinking on a linear basis for owners, and it's exponential for car builders.

The USCR is sinking itself day by day, and I mean that literally.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3299177)   #161
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Sure. But if you have no idea what your options are, then what?? Yes, they have money but when you have no clue what to plan for, it's nigh on impossible to be prepared, or plan/budget for anything.

How long does it take to build up a new DP, or a new proto, or GTE car? It's not days...I'm sure you know that and it's by no means a knock on your knowledge. But, in all honesty, the decision has to be made shortly to allow for ample time to build up the car, deliver it, test it, and build up spares to go along with it. Imagine if Michelotto gets orders for 5 new 458's in the USCR and 5 in the WEC. Or HPD for 5 new P2's, or OAK Racing, or Oreca for new PC's...

The lead time is shrinking on a linear basis for owners, and it's exponential for car builders.

The USCR is sinking itself day by day, and I mean that literally.
Hmm, it seems they were testing aero parts on a DP @ Roebling Road!

http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Im...ting201346.pdf

L.P.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 02:35 (Ref:3299189)   #162
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, it seems they were testing aero parts on a DP @ Roebling Road!

http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Im...ting201346.pdf

L.P.
Your point is?? That's one set of parts for one car that they've had months to build.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3299446)   #163
Speed Merchant 91
Rookie

United States
Gilbert, Arizona
Speed Merchant 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sportscar365.net/uscr/8star-p...-dpp2-program/
...and the plot thickens
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3299461)   #164
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Merchant 91 View Post
I can't see that flying. They'll eliminate that from the rules before it gets started.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3299462)   #165
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This was mentioned elsewhere, as was the possibility that even Venezuela might not have enough oil money to field all the teams Potolicchio is planning to run.

I doubt he is the only team to consider this. i'd imkagine some are waiting on the the data from the test with the new DP aero parts, and might double down depending.

If updated DPs can get enough jump out of the corners to catch P2s on the straights, DP might be the better investment. Teams will be studying test data intently I am sure.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3299470)   #166
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Since people are complaining about a lack of news sources how about that one:

http://gaunleashed.tumblr.com/post/6...as-been-tested
Progress! The other teams can complain all they want about the rules not being done, but really it's just the DP teams that need them most right now.
P2 teams might be wise to buy LM spec bodywork, but other than that all they have to worry about is engine air restrictors and ballast which is something that race teams often have to deal with right in the middle of a season, sometimes several times in a season, and probably between every race next year.
In fact I don't see a point in announcing minimum weight and restrictor sizes for P2 now, because they are bound to change between the official January test and the 24 hour anyway.
Same for GT teams, there could be some small tweaking at the beginning of the year, and later in the season, but that happens every year. They already know their cars will be almost completely the same as this year.
And PC is spec. They know they will have the same cars as this year. If one is ballasted, then they all are, no advantage or disadvantage to the other cars in their class.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3299473)   #167
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I can't see that flying. They'll eliminate that from the rules before it gets started.
I don't think they will. I think a couple more teams will do this too. If they had the money, it would be smart for all of the P teams to do this.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3299479)   #168
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
This was mentioned elsewhere, as was the possibility that even Venezuela might not have enough oil money to field all the teams Potolicchio is planning to run.

I doubt he is the only team to consider this. i'd imkagine some are waiting on the the data from the test with the new DP aero parts, and might double down depending.

If updated DPs can get enough jump out of the corners to catch P2s on the straights, DP might be the better investment. Teams will be studying test data intently I am sure.
But I'm sure the DP's and P2's will be rebalanced test to test, race to race, so I'm not sure how much early testing will help, other than just to confirm that the DP's can actually be brought up to or close to P2 lap times, which I believe they can.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3299484)   #169
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I can see them making teams claim drivers to cars for points preceding a race, but I don't think they would eliminate the ability to swap cars completely.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:16 (Ref:3299496)   #170
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Maybe. A team is only allowed 2 cars. Team championship points are awarded to a/the car. The only thing this may help with would be a drivers championship, but, it also splits the engineering between two different car types which in most cases is usually a negative towards the performance of both.

L.P.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3299500)   #171
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha! I've been waiting for someone to play the BOP game like this.

Does Tucker still have his DP's? If so I can see him considering the same thing, possibly driving both in the same race.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3299507)   #172
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Ha! I've been waiting for someone to play the BOP game like this.

Does Tucker still have his DP's? If so I can see him considering the same thing, possibly driving both in the same race.
Do you think he could drive 4 cars in a race? I bet he'll try.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3299576)   #173
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.racer.com/falken-nearing-...rticle/310338/

Quote:
Most of the GT teams in the ALMS paddock, not to mention a few prototype entrants, have pursued a factory Porsche program with its new-for-2013 chassis, the 991, which will receive a further round of updates in 2014. So far, the brand has indicated it will continue to use the Manthey Racing team as its works solution provider for the 991, but according to Walker, talks with the German marque have indicated at least one chassis could be made available for a privateer program in the USCR's renamed GT Le Mans category.

“Our plan, provided it's approved, involves us staying with Porsche and getting a 991, which would be the only customer RSR 991 anywhere in the world,” Walker declared. “The rest of them will be run by the works team, in Europe or over here. It's a big step, but if we end up with the 991, and it's still not 100 percent certain, it would be a great thing and we'd hopefully get some additional attention by having a very rare car for Porsche fans to come out and see. I also think it would look marvelous in the Falken colors, as well.”
Interesting that the Porsche 991 RSR GTE won't be a customer car at large. Disappointing change in direction.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 5 Sep 2013 at 17:49.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3299582)   #174
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
http://www.racer.com/falken-nearing-...rticle/310338/

Interesting that the Porsche 991 RSR GTE won't be a customer car at large. Disappointing change in direction.
+1
Old 5 Sep 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3299593)   #175
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
It's still a really stupid decision by Porsche unless they plan on continuing to support the teams running the old car. Maybe this is why the rumor of a GTLM-AM class is now cropping up?