Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which is the best one make series?
Mirage series 0 0%
Daewoos 2 28.57%
HQ Holdens 4 57.14%
QLD Geminis 1 14.29%
NSW Minis 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 May 2001, 03:55 (Ref:94672)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best one make class?

So what do you think of the one make series still floating around? Drop me a line if you want me to add another one...
Old 21 May 2001, 11:15 (Ref:94744)   #2
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't you make it best one make series ever. They were better when they used to put the top drivers in the cars and let them go for it. I remember the alfa sud series(which only just got finalised in court) and the triumph tr7's. They were excellent! The ford lasers and the nissan pulsars wern't bad either.

There seem to be to many one make series these days, which tends to spread the feilds a little thin. You need a full grid in a one make series to make it really interesting.
Hq's and the geminis do a good job at it. Unfortunately we dont have a genini series in NSW. The only cheap sedan racing we have now is HQ's.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 May 2001, 11:34 (Ref:94750)   #3
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HQ racing rocks, good action but a little slow.
Does the aussie series run 6 cyl cars also?
Old 21 May 2001, 11:46 (Ref:94758)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NZ, yep the 6s.

Funnily enough, I've never seen this NSW Mini series...never even heard of it.

The Mirages are pretty good now that Luff isn't bounding away with it.
Old 21 May 2001, 12:10 (Ref:94769)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, well they used to have races for only Minis....anyone know what happened to them??
Old 21 May 2001, 12:48 (Ref:94782)   #6
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mini races were origionally for mini sports sedans, and when that class started to decline they invited all other types of minis to enter. They also tried to start a mini 1100 series, but that never took off in a big way. There a still afew of them around and every once in a while there is a mini race held.

The other race that they have in NSW is the Fiat/alfa challenge(otherwise known as the WOG challenge by antone not competing in it). But latley it has just become the alfa challenge

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 30 May 2001, 11:26 (Ref:98763)   #7
RustyGT
Rookie

RustyGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

G/day Crash[?]
I couldn't find the button for 'none of the above'
Are they still racing those awful Gem's at Lakeside?
Thought they might have run out of useable body shells by now..

I know one makes, have a place in most meetings. All the altruistic stuff about 'somewhere to start' 'affordable racing' etc..
I always thought it was dross, filler between the main events.

How else do you explain the biggest cheers for 'the most unlikely but most spectacular prang!'

Then I 'spose when some willing victim barrell's his Q thru the trap at McPhillamy, the boys will have something more to talk about.

Maybe I've missed the point.. But then I cheered too! R.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 10:13 (Ref:99678)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is now that the one-make series don't get enough coverage. The laser's, pulsar's and so on used to get coverage at places like amaroo, and the gemini's always were on the support bill at lakeside. Also, with classes like the Mirages and Daewoo's, they are improved production cars, meaning only a limited number of competiters can compete. Something like the old laser series, where there were heaps of cars and even state championships, as they were production based and you could just by one and race. Something like that now for laser's or astra's would be perfect, and maybe have another series like the PRO-AM Triumph TR7 series, only this time give the series heaps of TV exposure
Old 1 Jun 2001, 11:33 (Ref:99704)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, the Geminis are still going....not as strong as they used to though....
Old 1 Jun 2001, 11:53 (Ref:99711)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Boy isn't the above a walk down memory lane.

Favourites the Mini Sport Sedans (thanks Mount) 1500cc cross flow heads, wild flares and hang on.

But I must be a twit, I love the one make thing. Even pulled into the bottle shop behind a TR7 tonight and thought of Amaroo. Do you know they fit three slabs of beer, five bottles of wine and two bottles of green ginger in the boot? No, me neither, might go buy one. If I can fit a 351 in the front is it a TR8?

Lanos anyone?
Old 2 Jun 2001, 15:10 (Ref:100198)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
HQ's are brilliant ..but sadly are on the way out.

I havent seen any gemini racing at all ..so i cant comment..i saw the mini's race once at Winton..great stuff..one exciting turn 2 (old turn 2) got out of shape off onto the grass that was still wet and started to roll..once it started it never stopped..very scary and tore the thing to pieces..fortunately the driver wasnt hurt..but great little things to watch.

Mirages are ok and quite quick as well but I have only seen the daewoo things on speedweek and they look terribly slow..but i guess they are not that much slower than the mirages.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 10:56 (Ref:100399)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think much of the Mirage racing, but the cars appeal to me. I'd love to have a go, if they were MUCH cheaper.

The Daewoos are pitifully slow, I don't think it's because they're gutless, I think it's because they handle like ****!!! The suspension bloke ought to be shot! Even the Geminis are 2 seconds a lap!!! faster around Lakeside.

Moff, that would be an awful waste of a good engine!
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:13 (Ref:100411)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, their handling is pitiful....but you have to remember that they are front wheel drive and have a smaller engine than a gemini.

But those Mirages are half bred Sports Sedans....they are pretty darn fast....
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:31 (Ref:100425)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're only 100cc smaller and they have fuel injection. Let's be honest here, they're ****!
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:45 (Ref:100441)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, ok then

Then again, the quality of driver might not be there....I'd love to see Ron Lange have a go in one of them...
Old 3 Jun 2001, 13:06 (Ref:100484)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
A point I was too polite to raise. There has been so much talent through Geminis over the years and I'm yet to see any at all in Daewoos.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 13:14 (Ref:100485)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
David- did you hang around for the night time Gemini race the other weekend?